Need some advice please...

Options
We are leaving on Wed. for a 5 day cruise. This isn't our first one, but it will be the first time that I am really taking into consideration
the calories that I take in. I won't be able to post on here so I guess I should just write things down. The cost of using the internet on the ships is ridiculous! Any suggestions on the best way to enjoy the great variety of foods..without gaining tons of weight? I know the desserts are a no-no, but dang, I can't make that stuff at home..LOL :flowerforyou:

Replies

• californiagirl1950
    Options
    On our last cruise which was 9 days. I kept the calories down by taking the stairs instead of the elevator and they have usually have a track on the top deck to walk around. It is a mile usually. We did that too. And stay away from the sweets at the buffet and room service. Our first 4 day cruise, I probably gained 10 pounds in those 4 days! I always had a dessert at dinner in the dining room too on the last one and did ok.

Where are you cruising to? I love cruising. Have a safe trip and enjoy!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Throw a cup measure and a tablespoon measure in your bag and a deck of cards. Look at them before you head to eat to remind yourself what a proper portion is. And, no, there is no earthly reason to think you must belong to the "Clean Plate Club."

Other than that, have a ball. 5 days is only 5 days. If you put on a few pounds, well, you know how to take them back off when you get home. Besides, more of those will be water from eating the restaurant-style food that is likely to be saltier than what you make at home. So enjoy your trip.

Rome wasn't built in a day nor was it destroyed in one.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    Throw a cup measure and a tablespoon measure in your bag and a deck of cards. Look at them before you head to eat to remind yourself what a proper portion is. And, no, there is no earthly reason to think you must belong to the "Clean Plate Club."

Other than that, have a ball. 5 days is only 5 days. If you put on a few pounds, well, you know how to take them back off when you get home. Besides, more of those will be water from eating the restaurant-style food that is likely to be saltier than what you make at home. So enjoy your trip.

Rome wasn't built in a day nor was it destroyed in one.

^^^^ This. Enjoy yourself, keep a written diary but don't panic. If you find a pound or two you can always lose them again.
  • AikenGran
    AikenGran Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Our last "cruise" was a river cruise down the Danube. Loved every minute of it and ate well. Did lots (and I mean LOTS) of walking during the daytime while we were in a town. Didn't worry about my "diet" because the food was so good (portions were much smaller than here in the States), the company terrific, and the walking exhausting. Just didn't eat between meals or have sweet rolls for breakfast, or dessert for lunch, or drink any liquor (can't anyway because of my meds so I really didn't miss it) or sodas. Also didn't take on "water pounds" like I did on our ocean cruise. When we took our cruise to Nassau, I drank a lot of tomato juice. I was just thirsty all the time and that seemed to help more than anything for some reason. Let me know what you do as we're looking at an Alaskan cruise next year....maybe. Have fun!
  • southerngramma
    Options
    I find I am super excited about our cruise. We just got upgraded to a suite..so we will have our own balcony to just sit and take in the wonderful ocean breezes. We are going out of Charleston, SC and cruising down to Nassau and the Bahamas. I am looking forward to the fresh fruits, the salads and the seafood. It is soooo much more fun when I am not preparing, serving and cleaning up! LOL I shall think of you all and send you sunny thoughts. See you when we return. Be well, and Be Happy...Blessed Be :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • Joe_Atlanta
    Joe_Atlanta Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    A balcony sounds great! Have fun! Don't over do, but stay active, that will help combat the extra calories. There will be plenty of healthy things to eat, fill up your plate with those and sample (smaller portions) the high calorie stuff. Don't deny yourself (you're on vacation!), but don't feel like you have to eat everything in sight (or even finish something you are trying) to get your money's worth.

In the the long run, it's just a few days and and a few pounds, so don't sweat it. Be Queen for a week. ;^ )
  • MzYoga
    MzYoga Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When I went on an Alaska cruise, there was tons of food. I was content to taste many things, but eat selectively. Plus, much of the food is overrated and average in taste.

Enjoy your cruise and stay active.