How much are you spending in groceries?

Options
Nicole9187
Nicole9187 Posts: 122 Member
Just curious this is week 4 for me, but day two of following completely. This is very expensive! Just curious how much ya'll spend in a given month, I'm a family of three and so far I've spent $400.

Replies

• kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I spent $200 last week and that was pretty much all organic produce and good meats. Family of 4 (42, 38, 9, and 7).
  • kkerri
    Options
    $400 a week? Or $400 a month? $400 a week seems crazy. $400 a month seems very low. I am guessing $800/month, but that won't include pet food, school lunches, the random pizza for DH and the kids, etc.
  • Nicole9187
    Nicole9187 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    The $400 is just in the last two weeks and my mother is 55, I'm 31 and my daughter is 9...she hates this way of eating. It's been a very big struggle for her in the last month =(
  • aliciap412
    aliciap412 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I probably spend $400 a month on 2 of us. I've cut a lot of frivolous spending in order to add more to my food budget and I have no regrets. I would probably spend more if I didn't get my produce at farmers markets so I'm already thinking about freezing some for the winter months when there are no farmers market stands!
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Groceries are about $600/month--family of three (husband and 3yo son) with different eating habits.

About $400/month at the regular grocery store and $200/month on specialty items from WF and TJ's like coconut oil, almond meal, etc.
  • kkerri
    Options
    Did you change your daughter's entire diet? I still buy my kids snacks, but have never bought them tons of junk. I did buy some cookies, crackers, etc. They are thrilled when I make meat so we have no problems there. They hate it more when I cooked vegan food. My 7 year old ate my chia seed meatloaf last night ;-)
  • kkerri
    Options
    My husband eats very little, too, so that helps. He doesn't snack much, eats small portions, doesn't eat lunch etc.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I spend around $1,000 per month for a family of 4,but i live in north(ish) canada. Fresh produce is incredible expensive because it is either imported or geen house grown. I spend around $500a month on produce alone. The only thing is cheap around here is beef and lamb becasue the climate only suitable for pasture.
    My husband and my son are fruit maniacs and the two of them together eat 10+ pieces a fruit a day. Oh well, it is still better than eating candy, right?
    In canada average food expenditure per person is $200 -$225 per person though. So i only spend like15% more than the average family, which i am ok with. I have a yr and half left from gradschool and we plan to move to a slightly warmer climate after that.
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post, I was curious myself :)
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I found we spend less when we cut out all the processed crap. money you are giving to people that simply box up your food.
    My money goes to farmers, ranchers.
    Bought a 1/4 cow - grass fed for $4 a lb.
    buy my eggs from a local farm. (as well as produce).

bought a soda stream maker - now my drinks are super cheap.
    And DON'T FORGET TO SUBTRACT $$ FOR PRESCRIPTION DRUGS AND HEALTHCARE :) seriously this is the real value.
    again, this isn't a diet.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Its about $250 per week for two of us. But thats buying meat from grocery stores instead of local. When we get into that habit i expect it will be more expensive

Austalia, woo!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    too much....about $1000 a month for 2 people....
  • ezconklin
    Options
    I'm averaging $200 every two weeks for a family of four (35, 35, 10, 7). However my husband is away at boot camp training every weekend so that really cuts down on meals. I'll estimate it's really in the $250 every two weeks. I buy a lot on sale and freeze plus we do a lot of frozen veggies.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    You guys don't want to know my grocery bill for one adult and one child-I live in the Arctic. Many things that I need, such as coconut products/raw nuts/evoo/meat/etc are not available locally and I must fly them in paying a crapload in air freight. Anyway....

While my individual grocery items are far more expensive than the processed crap in the store, I actually spend LESS overall. Now that I am no longer malnourished and not bingeing as a result, I spend 10-20% less on groceries. I eat less of better, more nutrient dense, food.
  • Psyb3r
    Psyb3r Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I think we spend approximately 200-250 every two weeks in groceries. I'm learning though to manage how much fruit we buy (trying only to buy on sale/in season stuff). Also it helps to plan what we're eating for a week and then buy everything all at once rather than go out to the grocery every couple of days. I try to pick meals that will use same ingredients, or cuts of meat that way I can make multiple meals without having to buy tons of variety. Also frozen is a great way to go. Most grocery stores have frozen veggies pretty cheap and they're still healthy. Plus if you take the time to plan a little, you can use frozen meat (which you can stock up on when on sale). I'm also trying to cut down on the spending of groceries though by cutting out stuff that while primal (dark chocolate) isn't really necessary. Good luck!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I found we spend less when we cut out all the processed crap. money you are giving to people that simply box up your food.
    My money goes to farmers, ranchers.
    buy my eggs from a local farm. (as well as produce).

bought a soda stream maker - now my drinks are super cheap.
    And DON'T FORGET TO SUBTRACT $$ FOR PRESCRIPTION DRUGS AND HEALTHCARE :) seriously this is the real value.
    again, this isn't a diet.

^amen to that. I have no farmers available in the Arctic but do get some wild meat given to me quite regularly. I'm always on the hunt for ethical farmers in the south that will ship here. No luck yet. Yup, no pills, no treatments, almost no illness ever. A child who is healthier and behaves better. I kinda feel like a million bucks these days so the money I spend on the best quality foods seems well worth it.

PS. The only increased expense is that I keep shrinking out of my clothes. :)
  • mommyJto3
    mommyJto3 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Family of 5, spend about $500/month, which includes toiletries, diapers, etc.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

Holy $#@& how did you get grass-fed that cheap?! The places I've found in Connecticut are a lot more expensive than that :grumble:
  • LisaGNV
    LisaGNV Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Family of 4 (including one body builder) costs $250 a week to feed. We eat SUPER clean (no dairy, grains, legumes, etc.) but can't afford organic everything. I shop around (FM, CSA, locals, etc.) best I can but can't get it under $1,000 a month.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    There are 2 of us (but my hubby is only in town 4 nights a week) we spend roughly 400.00 a month on groceries. He is not paleo but will eat whatever I fix. I do have a garden and getting a lot of my veggies out of it now. I am also very blessed that I have a local butcher that only deals in pasture raised animals. The butcher has specials of 5 for $50.00. So you choose 5 things for $ 50.00. Last week, I got 2 lbs of bacon, 3 lbs fo ground chicken, 3 lbs of ground beef, 7 three quarter inch bone in pork chops (I think 3 pounds) and 2 ribeyes (10 oz). So roughly 12 pounds of meat for $50.00.