Macros and Paleo/Primal?

Options
melba_321
melba_321 Posts: 65 Member
What are your goal macros that you aim for?

Currently my goal is 50 protein, 25 carbs and 25 fat; yet when I'm fighting inflammatory pains, I've been trying for 45+ protein/ 30- carb/ 30+ fat

Replies

• redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Are these are percentages? If yes, I would flip the protein and the fat. instead of 50% protein and 25% fat, try 50% fat and 25% protein. Many people will suggest lower carb, but I thinks the 25% carb is fine for maintenance or slow weight loss. Based on your ticker you have very little weigh to lose , so there is no need for going to extreme. But this is just my opinion.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's really low fat.

My macros are set at 70% fat, 20% protein, and 10% carb. I wouldn't say that everyone should eat like me but I did it to resolve a long list of health issues (fat was 75, carb 5 but changed it recently). However, I would say that 50% fat is a bare minimum imo. As far as my research shows, protein doesn't need to be really high and might even be detrimental if it is.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    Most people eat high fat,moderate protein and lower carbs 65/20/15
    I am doing anti inflammatory and keep carbs low 5-10%
    Do you know about the different sites that are there for auto immune?
    http://autoimmune-paleo.com
    http://www.thepaleomom.com/autoimmunity
    http://paleononpaleo.com/more-paleo/paleo-autoimmune-protocol/
  • redheadmommy
    Options
    I wanted to add that I was doing 50% fat, 25% protein, 25% carb for a while . At that time my goal was not weight loss, but just being healthy and maintaining as I had a newborn and I was concerned about my milk supply. When my baby started solids and my milk supply was not #1 priority anymore, I decreased the carb ,and increased the fat, kept the protein at 25%.. First just 5%, but now I am 15% carb, 60% fat, 25% protein and the weight finally started to come off . I really like this levels, because I am losing but. Still can eat wide variety of fruits and vegetables
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to 2000 calories / 65%f / 25%p / 10% c.

I do better on the lower end of carbs, so as long as I stay below 50 carbs a day I feel pretty good!!!!! Any more than that I get all kinds of cravings and bloating and indigestion bigtime!!!!!!!

YMMV, but I do agree that you should increase your fat %'s to at least 50% if not more!!!!!!
  • melba_321
    Options
    Oooh, thank you all for the info. =) Yeah, I was talking percentages on macros.

I definitely feel good keeping my carbs at 25% or even lower, when I can go lower (but my carbs are pretty much all fresh fruits & veggies...I eat lots of kale & fresh veggies...and sometimes from my dairy, and occasional legumes, nuts, seeds or gluten free/organic grains like quinoa, millet, flax & amaranth). The dairy I eat is cheese and yogurt mainly. --So, I am definitely more on the primal side.

Thanks for the links! I will check those out. I notice when I eat higher fats, especially avocados & organic EV coconut oil, I feel less inflammation.

I am still very new to this, so this information is very helpful. Thank you. So, I should up my fat and lower my protein, while keeping carbs very low...

I am also using exercise/workout programs. Will the high fat/low protein cause any harm in this? Are you using any exercise or just losing by diet? Sorry for the nublet questions. I hope I am not annoying anyone =)
  • redheadmommy
    Options
    What is your overall calorie intake? Because depending on the total level the same % of protein can meant very different intake level. If you want to build muscle, need to eat at least 0.8 g per lean body mass or more.
    I eat 2200 cal a day , so the 25% is still almost 140 g protein for me. I want to start P90X in a few weeks, and I may increase my protein intake during the program. I will be supplementing with protein powder though, because I just can not eat any more meat than i already do.
  • melba_321
    Options
    Currently my caloric intake is 1350 (which includes my deficit for slow fat loss/lean muscle gain). I am currently doing a light Beachbody program (almost done), which is preparing me for P90X (by then, my caloric intake will be roughly 1500 calories with P90X adjustments). I will start P90X in about 3 days.

They generally recommend 50p/30c/20f for fat loss/muscle gain (fat shredder macros) and then slightly lower protein, same or slightly higher carb and generally same or slightly higher fat for just muscle building.

I've been using protein powders to supplement and help me reach those protein levels. I've been going for 50/25/25 but I do like my fat higher and recently been trying for 45% or more protein, 25% or less carb, 30% or more fat. My protein is usually around 150-169 grams. I weigh 121 lbs. (55 kg). I have lost 5 pounds & at least 2.5 inches total since working out in 20 days, but since I've been on MFP, I've lost 1 of those pounds (--was eating calories back...gained 2 from mostly muscle and lost 1 lb.). I lost too quickly in the beginning 3 days...my calories were too low at 1200.
  • ShannonKirton
    ShannonKirton Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    My percentages are 10% carbs, 50% fat and 40% protein currently. It seems to be working well for me as I recently started to lift so I wanted to make sure that I have enough protein on a day to maintain the muscle I already have. My calories are 1500.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I eat 2200 cals/day and my macros are 15% carbs, 60% fat, and 25% protein
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I aim for 50f/35p/15c.

I do weights 3 times a week, play hockey twice a week, and volleyball twice a week.

You should have no problems with performance by dropping your protein a little. 50% seems a little excessive to me (and some studies show too much protein could cause health problems), but do what works for you. Don't be afraid to experiment with different macros a little.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Currently my caloric intake is 1350 (which includes my deficit for slow fat loss/lean muscle gain). I am currently doing a light Beachbody program (almost done), which is preparing me for P90X (by then, my caloric intake will be roughly 1500 calories with P90X adjustments). I will start P90X in about 3 days.

They generally recommend 50p/30c/20f for fat loss/muscle gain (fat shredder macros) and then slightly lower protein, same or slightly higher carb and generally same or slightly higher fat for just muscle building.

I've been using protein powders to supplement and help me reach those protein levels. I've been going for 50/25/25 but I do like my fat higher and recently been trying for 45% or more protein, 25% or less carb, 30% or more fat. My protein is usually around 150-169 grams. I weigh 121 lbs. (55 kg). I have lost 5 pounds & at least 2.5 inches total since working out in 20 days, but since I've been on MFP, I've lost 1 of those pounds (--was eating calories back...gained 2 from mostly muscle and lost 1 lb.). I lost too quickly in the beginning 3 days...my calories were too low at 1200.

For the most part, do not listen to dietary advice given along with fitness programs. The anti-fat bs is alive and well and probably won't die any time soon no matter how many thousands of times it is disproven. Since you've come to Primal/Paleo you are already aware that conventional nutritional advice sucks. I can assure you that a higher fat intake will do nothing but great things for your health, all around. 50% bare minimum. Really.

PS. give some thought that real food is preferable to powders et al. Especially when we are trying to lose weight, protein powders are likely not beneficial. (And in my opinion, you likely do not need your protein quite so high.) Most are not healthy. I have a grassfed, cold processed whey powder for my child's smoothies that has only whey and sunflower lecithin in it. I still don't think of it as a real food but it's a way to sneak protein into her smoothie as she freaks if I put a raw egg in. lol If you insist on using whey, get the best.
  • oferb1
    Options
    Hi All - I am new to this, and currently doing 50f/30p/20c - been working for me like a charm so far

I am hitting my numbers in MFP (after I tweaked them to the above), but I am curios how the people that say they eat 10%-15% carbs get to such low levels...

I hardly eat any carb heavy foods, but just the carbs that are in veggies and the little fruit I eat can easily get me close to my limit (and I am eating a 2000 calorie diet), Do you guys calculate based on net carbs when you post these numbers? is there a way to have MFP calculate that?

Thanks!
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I shoot for roughly 132g protein (528kcal), 60g (540kcal) fat which equates to 1098 calories that I have set as my minimums. Afterwards, I fill my calories with whatever I want - fat, protein, carbs, whatever. If I want it and I've hit my minimums, I eat it. Easy.

I prefer it this way over obsessing for some silly percentage. The freedom to eat whatever I like is quite nice... I also have 1552 calories left to eat at this point, so it also leaves plenty of variety.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    I shoot for roughly 132g protein (528kcal), 60g (540kcal) fat which equates to 1098 calories that I have set as my minimums. Afterwards, I fill my calories with whatever I want - fat, protein, carbs, whatever. If I want it and I've hit my minimums, I eat it. Easy.

I prefer it this way over obsessing for some silly percentage. The freedom to eat whatever I like is quite nice... I also have 1552 calories left to eat at this point, so it also leaves plenty of variety.

Did you have any metabolic issues, such as obesity? I think you mentioned celiac or something if I remember correctly. Anyway, you might not need to worry about the carb percentages as much depending on your own situation.. and you are a man so I think there's a difference just in that. I would still think your fat is too low, but that's my own opinion as I don't think anyone should be under 50%. Obviously you are doing fine and you make some great foods (I remember some beautiful pics!).

Unfortunately with all of my health problems (I would consider them all "metabolic disorders"), I must keep my carbs low and my fat high and that's my advice for other people, especially women, with similar health issues. I don't obsess at all because it comes quite natural now, but if I let those sugars creep up, well, then my health problems return.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Hi All - I am new to this, and currently doing 50f/30p/20c - been working for me like a charm so far

I am hitting my numbers in MFP (after I tweaked them to the above), but I am curios how the people that say they eat 10%-15% carbs get to such low levels...

I hardly eat any carb heavy foods, but just the carbs that are in veggies and the little fruit I eat can easily get me close to my limit (and I am eating a 2000 calorie diet), Do you guys calculate based on net carbs when you post these numbers? is there a way to have MFP calculate that?

Thanks!

It's fairly easy to do if you cut or severely out fruits, root vegetables, and nuts. With that said, I don't find it's worth the extra restriction personally so I keep mine at around 15-20%.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Almost no fruit and fewer vegetables. The veggies that are included are powerhouse and low(ish) carb ones. Meats and fats are a giant staple, and nearly all parts of the animal are consumed (bones are used to make broth, fat, organs, etc).

Also, 10% isn't necessarily low. At 2000 calories, 10% comes out to 50g, which is just barely ketosis levels, for example.
  • oferb1
    Options
    Almost no fruit and fewer vegetables. The veggies that are included are powerhouse and low(ish) carb ones. Meats and fats are a giant staple, and nearly all parts of the animal are consumed (bones are used to make broth, fat, organs, etc).

Also, 10% isn't necessarily low. At 2000 calories, 10% comes out to 50g, which is just barely ketosis levels, for example.

Still adjusting to this level of carbs - not sure I am ready to jump to ketosis.

So do you count net carbs, or in this case a carb is a carb regardless if its fiber?
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Did you have any metabolic issues, such as obesity? I think you mentioned celiac or something if I remember correctly. Anyway, you might not need to worry about the carb percentages as much depending on your own situation.. and you are a man so I think there's a difference just in that. I would still think your fat is too low, but that's my own opinion as I don't think anyone should be under 50%. Obviously you are doing fine and you make some great foods (I remember some beautiful pics!).

Not as far as I'm aware of, though correct, I am indeed Coeliac.

When I say I don't do it by percentages, or when I hit my minimums of 60g, those are my minimums. I don't restrict fats, or carbs, or proteins, because I eat foods I enjoy and it works for me better than following a ratio. Some days my carbs are high and fat is just at minimum, sometimes my fats are high and carbs are low - most days it's a mix with fats and carbs high, protein minimum.

...And I remember making foods and recipes like that, back in the good old days. :/ Stupid Uni. Gotta do some of those again.
    Unfortunately with all of my health problems (I would consider them all "metabolic disorders"), I must keep my carbs low and my fat high and that's my advice for other people, especially women, with similar health issues. I don't obsess at all because it comes quite natural now, but if I let those sugars creep up, well, then my health problems return.

I think this is good and, if it works for you, keeps you healthy and you enjoy it, is perfect for you.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say maybe my previous post seemed a bit offensive, in which case, I apologise - when I said "obsessing over percentages", I mainly meant people who go for, say "40/40/20" or "40/30/30" splits or whatever and put heaps of effort into hitting their targets, when it's so much easier (and more enjoyable, in my opinion) to just meet your minimums and eat what you like from there. No offence was meant.
  • ShannonKirton
    ShannonKirton Posts: 304 Member
    Options

Thanks!

When I first started paleo I too could not understand how percentages got so low for carbs, but as time went on and I started to learn what foods had carbs and how carb heavy they were, I was able to lower my number. I also work better when I'm in ketosis so keeping the carbs low is a must for me. Otherwise I start to crave sugars and feel very lethargic etc. Once you have an idea of what the foods you usually have contain, it's not as hard as you might think. But I would agree with the others, experiment if you feel the need (but right now it seems like you're doing very well) but if your body is happy with the macros you have now, I say stick with it.