3 years post band surgery and gained weight ugh

Options
calicat40
calicat40 Posts: 37 Member
So here is my confession since they say confession is good for the soul. I was banded three years ago, did great my first year but slacked off on getting fills etc because of cost. I had my gall bladder out last year and just before that a hystorectomy both were done laproscopically so i had to deflate my band a bit. Needless to say, no gall bladder, looser band, gained 38 pounds in a year. I am so sick of looking at this and feeling disgusted and being afraid to go to the doctor because I am ashamed of the weight gain. I made an appointment for next week, get it checked to make sure I haven't stretched my pouch out and cinch it up. Did my protein shake this morning and will have soup, an apple and yogurt for lunch unless I gnaw my leg off before then.

Once I bite the bullett with the doctor I will go hit the gym that I pay for and dont use. You probably are reading this wondering why am I posting this. I believe if I can't be an example, be a warning to others. So should you be in the same boat as I am or wandering toward that cliff, fix it early, don't wait. Go get the fill, get it checked and get back in the game.

Replies

• sue100194
    Options
    I loved your post. It's such a reminder of how human we are and why this weight loss journey is such a lifelong project. It's so wonderful to read of everyone's successes but it's also somehow comforting to read about setbacks as well as inspiring to see people like you getting back onto the path to weight loss again. Thank you for sharing!
  • dolphintattoo
    dolphintattoo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am only 8 months post op, but stalled the past few months and then was up last month which made me ashamed to go see the doc (well the NP anyway). But they were great, they told me I needed another fill, and encouraged me to modify my diet and exercise. I will ask why not go to the gym today? Why wait until after your appointment.
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    I am almost 10 months post op. The weight has been coming down and getting slower. I thank you for sharing and it is good to know that down the road I can go in and get a fill. Good Luck and the most the most important thing is not to give up.
  • calicat40
    calicat40 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone. I have been doing better. My company is starting a get fit challenge and we have a team here so this will be fun and help jump start me back on the right track. I've been using their tool to track my food and fitness right now so it shows up on my get fit challenge for the team. double tracking is just too much but I love the support. I've refocused and am diligent about my shakes again and journaling. I've been trying to be more active and walk. My fitness level is bad so just walking right now is my goal along with making sure i journal every day. It's helped me to pinpoint where I have faltered with snacking and nervous eating.

And may I also share my Mom lives with me and I love her dearly but she gets on my last nerve sometimes. I may need a therapist to unravel this one but for instance I'm up early so I can enjoy a cup of coffee before my day and God love her she gets up and just the sound of her flip flops drives me bonkers. It may be menopause, it may be I need a break and she needs to go visit my sister for a while, who knows but there you have it. Like I said i may need therapy. lol Not sure why but I've been using this as an excuse to binge eat again. Once I started journaling I was able to see where and when it happened and what my excuse was for reaching for those chips and dip and chocolate and whatever was available to silence my frustration/annoyance etc.

Thanks for listening. Menopause sucks, so does getting old. If you're young, enjoy your youth, it is fleeting. :)
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    get help, you can get rid of bad eating habits, you can have control over your own weight, you just have to survive your mother. Do not let her be the root of your eating issues!. I know, been there, done that, only in reverse with my 30 year old child. and with my 87 year old relative that I am responsible for.