Is Keto ok if you have OSA? (obstructive sleep apnoea)

Options
suprzonic
suprzonic Posts: 68 Member
Putting out a call to other OSA sufferers to ask if they're living keto and having fat loss success? Or ditched keto for some other solution that works?

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Here are some r/keto topics that mention apnea:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/search?q=apnea&restrict_sr=on

I don't know much about OSA, but I would thing that losing weight would make the situation better.
  • suprzonic
    Options
    Here are some r/keto topics that mention apnea:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/search?q=apnea&restrict_sr=on

I don't know much about OSA, but I would thing that losing weight would make the situation better.

For some people - that's true. But my endocronoligst has said that OSA has caused my obesity!
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    How odd. I snored a lot worse after I got technically obese. I don't snore nearly so hard now, after keto.
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    For some people - that's true. But my endocronoligst has said that OSA has caused my obesity!

I assume this is because of the lack of sleep. My husband has sleep apnea and he almost never gets a really good night's sleep, which they say can lead to weight gain, so this makes some sense to me.
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    How odd. I snored a lot worse after I got technically obese. I don't snore nearly so hard now, after keto.

This is normal, too. It's basically something to do with the fat accumulation in your neck or around your throat, etc., that constricts your airwaves.
  • LemonEleven
    LemonEleven Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My bf has OSA and only recently started using his CPAP machine religiously. What a change in his entire life. He eats part time keto since I do full time, but I think the most important thing is to use your CPAP machine if you have that. I can't say enough how much better it is for me, the person who would lay awake moving him around so he wouldn't stop breathing.

I'm so relieved those days are over. He can't sleep without it now. He quit smoking and is getting his diet under control too.

I hope he goes keto full time, but that's up to him. He tried to manage his OSA through diet alone but that did not work. Night and day difference with the CPAP.

Good Luck
  • princessrisariri
    princessrisariri Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Not diagnosed but I thought I might have mild apnea as I always used to wake up in the night gasp for air, have to readjust then back to sleep, or just feel badly rested in the morning. Often felt a bit bunged up so manbe more generic sinus issues. Anyway keto has really helped all of that and now once I am asleep I do not wake up until I am well rested and want to spring outta bed.
    Unless it is the alarm waking me up mid cycle.. grumble grumble.
  • hifiguy36
    Options
    I'll preface this with the fact that I haven't consulted my Dr. recently regarding my OSA or diet.
    I have OSA and use a CPAP every night. I just switched to a ketogenic diet in July 2013. So far, in two and a half months, I've lost 30lbs.
    So for me, the diet change is working where weight is concerned, but I haven't noticed any change in sleep quality.
  • suprzonic
    Options
    Thank you all for solid advice - been ketogenic almost 3 months now. 2nd sleep test results are in - "no sleep disorder events recorded"!

I blame Keto + sleeping on my side + only breathing through my nose in sleep + nominal weight loss

Sticking with keto for sure