Fueling up for deadlifts?

Just need a wee bit of advice please.

Yesterday morning after my morning dog walk - I did my SL session fasted - and I didn't manage to hit my 87.5kg deadlift, I just ended up doing 1x5@ 85kg/187.39lbs

Then later on I decided to go have another wee attempt, after eating a nice breakfast and lunch and having done a evil 8 workout inbetween I managed a deadlift of 87.5kg/192.9lbs (twice because I checked it really happened!) and then I boasted like a mad lady and smiled a lot and pictured myself in a wonder woman(or batman - I ain't fussy) outfit .

And I just being an idiot by not fueling before I lift?

It suits me to lift before i start work (I do work from home and have my weights set up in my box room) after I've walked my dogs first thing (I walk them for around an hour)

I am going to attempt a full set of these on Sunday (excited eeek!) but worried that going into this "fasted" just means I am going to struggle?

Any advice or should I just go for it and see whats happens?

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Could you lift before you walk the dogs?
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    I lift fasted, but I walk the dogs after, just fits in better with my day that way. If I do it the other way around I breakfast before I lift and in fact probably before I walk the dogs. I would be dying if I tried to do all that before I ate anything. I am generally a quivering wreck by the time I finish at the gym as it is!
  • I probably could - switch my walk and lifting round (just means that anyone passing me will think I am a stinky sausage).

Will try switching round on friday and see how I get on .

Cheers x
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    who cares what they think!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    I'm almost always ravenous by the time I get to deadlifts. Since you lift at home, could you do a snack break? This is giving me the giggles just thinking about it. You could do your squats, eat a bit of cheese or some nuts, do OHP to let the food settle a little, and then do deadlifts.

Lifting before your walk is probably a better suggestion. :tongue:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    I lift on an empty stomach also.. I agree it is probably the walk you are taking beforehand.
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    I always workout fasted. If I eat before I deadlift, well, it would not be pretty. Are you walking really far with your dogs? If it's just a quick walk, I'd call that warming up. If it's a long walk, then I'd do it after lifting.

Try eating before you lift and see what happens.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    I lift in the evening so can't help on the fasted/non fasted debate but I would switch the walking and lifting around to give it a try as you are going for around an hour.

If you lifted 85kg fasted then you will be able to lift 87.5kg fasted, just keep at it :bigsmile:
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    I'm in the minority I guess. I make it a point to always eat something with a good amount of carbs & protein about 1.5-2 hours before I lift. Same with cardio. I need my fuel!
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    90% of the time, I lift in the morning, fasted, because I like to get up early and just get it out of the way. On the random days when I can't drag myself out of bed and end up lifting in the afternoon after I've had a couple meals, I have soooo much more energy. I tried having a pre-workout clif bar for a while, but I don't think it was helping, since I'd eat it 10 minutes before hand. I felt like it was just adding calories to the day without giving me lifting fuel. I'd have to get up way too early for my liking to have a proper pre-workout snack. If I knew I'd always be able to get my lifting in in the afternoon, without other errands or stuff filling in the time, I'd do it. But for now I'll keep lifting in the a.m., even though I'm probably not working to my absolute potential.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    I usually lift on an empty stomach in the morning with a 20-minute warm-up beforehand of some sort. Used to be yoga, nowadays it's elliptical. I don't usually have trouble hitting my scheduled lifts unless I didn't get enough sleep or I start too late after getting out of bed. As long as I get going between 30-60 minutes after getting up, I'm good to go.

I've eaten breakfast before lifting, but it honestly doesn't make a discernible difference for me, and I only ever eat first if I wait too long with the lifting after I wake up.

I know that lifting fasted isn't going to qualify me for achieving world records, but I don't care. It works best for my schedule as it is right now since I work evenings/2nd shift.

If you feel more comfortable walking your dogs first and lifting after, then set your lifting goals a little lower and don't fret over them too much. Fit lifting into your life, don't bend your life around lifting. Who cares? Just lift, give it the best you've got at each session, and make sure that you progress overall in some way.

I think everyone is different, and so my advice to you would be to just do what works best for you. Do whatever fits into your goals and personal life, and don't be afraid to mix things up here and there, because the bottom line is that there really is no such thing as an "optimal" or "perfect" training plan. The best training plan is the one that you follow and that helps you achieve the results you're after. They're all going to be perfect for you in their own way, but also have their own imperfections. Because they're all created by human beings. The universe does't crap training plans out of the heavens, you know. Some person puts them together, usually a person just as imperfect as the rest of us. And being an expert (self-proclaimed or with some schooling/expertise under your belt) still doesn't make anybody perfect. Sorry.

That's why trial and error and the willingness to be flexible are going to be in your corner here, so don't be afraid of change. :smile:
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    It might be the walk, i.e., you may have walked long enough to deplete the glycogen stores in your quads (which were replenished over the course of the day before your second lift).
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    My dog would never let me leave for the gym before walking her.

I also lift in the morning, though, so what I do is have some coffee and a protein shake with milk. That usually gives me enough fuel.
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    I always lift in the morning, and scoff a banana in my gob as I drive to the gym. I don't like exercising on an empty stomach, it makes me a bit giddy. I can walk on an empty tummy, but not lift or run or do anything too strenuous.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    I'm finding the older I get the harder it is for me to exercise without eating before hand.

Not that I'm calling you old or anything, erm... but you are a whole year older than I am so we're no spring chickens either. :flowerforyou: Sorry, just dug myself in a hole there.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Another vote for a good balance of protein/carbs/fats an hour or so before you lift. I usually have a protein shake with spinach or kale and some kind of fruit and some peanut butter blended in. I digest it fairly quickly, but it gives me the juice I need to get the most out of my lifting.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    I'm finding the older I get the harder it is for me to exercise without eating before hand.

Not that I'm calling you old or anything, erm... but you are a whole year older than I am so we're no spring chickens either. :flowerforyou: Sorry, just dug myself in a hole there.

LOL - If you guys think you're old then I must be ancient.

Don't know if age has anything to do with it as I've always fueled prior to workouts, so wouldn't know.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Just to add that a couple of years ago I was the leanest and most muscular I have ever been and my metabolism was through the roof. As in I could not miss a meal, I would be angry, shaky, emotional - the whole rollercoaster in fact I actually got similar affects just through being thirsty. And having eaten I would within minutes be taking off jumpers and opening windows as I got a massive hot rush from the food. I have only been back lifting a month now (although this is more intense strength than previously) and I am already noticing similar results. I can go about 4 hours without food through the day (not always a meal it's often a snack) and within half an hour of eating I can feel my temperature ramping up. All the more reason to make sure I have sufficient fuel in my body to function I think.

Also, can highly recommend overnight oats with banana and peanut butter as a superb breakfast.