When did you feel a sense of accomplishment?

Options
teamAmelia
teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
When did you feel a sense of accomplishment? I felt it during the 3 and 5-minute runs a little, but the big moment for me was definitely W5D3 during the 20-minute run. I think that everything will be a breeze from here. I can't believe that last wk, I was struggling during the last parts of the five-minute runs, and now, I'm going for four times as long and it's not nearly as difficult as the previous runs. :noway: So, how about you? Do you feel like you're there yet and like you finally have the hang of it? :bigsmile:

Replies

• CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'm about a week behind you and this is maybe my fourth or fifth time starting.

I really felt a sense of accomplishment when I passed the spot I always quit before. Last night I ran W4D2 with my fit, athletic daughter. She was winded on the cool down and I wasn't after about 30 seconds, that really brought it home to me how much I've done for my fitness level.
  • teamAmelia
    Options
    I'm about a week behind you and this is maybe my fourth or fifth time starting.

I really felt a sense of accomplishment when I passed the spot I always quit before. Last night I ran W4D2 with my fit, athletic daughter. She was winded on the cool down and I wasn't after about 30 seconds, that really brought it home to me how much I've done for my fitness level.

Congratulations. I'm sure you'll finish this time around. Good luck. :smile:
  • maijanz
    maijanz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When did you feel a sense of accomplishment? I felt it during the 3 and 5-minute runs a little, but the big moment for me was definitely W5D3 during the 20-minute run.

Me too! I just finished W5D3 again (this is my second time of getting this far), and I felt so good about making it through without stopping! :smile: I can hardly believe that I was able to jog for 20 minutes, I certainly would not have been able to do it a few weeks ago.
  • kbcara
    kbcara Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Every single time.

From getting off my butt to do it the first time [always played sport, never ran, hated it]...
    To coping with each increase [feeling it but coping]...
    To resting for 2.5 weeks between weeks 5 and 6 but picking up where left off - no repetition needed
    To running at night
    To running in the rain [last night]
    To skipping week 7, as week 8 was calling [this week]
    To running at sunset, and ENJOYING it, got emotional ... the sunset run made me laugh out loud and cry a little at the end.
    To finding a local park that does 5K volunteer led runs (400+ people) EVERY Saturday morning and making that my target and - no, I haven't done it yet - but yes, I know I will do.

Well done to all! And me :D
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I started feeling a sense of accomplishment after my first 30 second run and it hasn't quit yet.
  • NickeeCoco
    Options
    W5D3 was my big sense of accomplishment. That was the day when I truly realized, "Not only CAN I do this, I AM doing this". It was a big time confidence booster. I laughed out loud on the street when I completed it. I looked around, wanting to share it with someone, but alas, I was alone at 8:30 am on a Saturday. So instead I just giggled and had a big grin on my face, imagining a marching band coming down the street to announce my achievement. I seriously did that. After I ran for 20 minutes straight, I realized I was quite capable of doing anything else. In fact, that day over shadowed the day I completed C25K.

My last day of C25K I didn't have the sense of celebration I had on W5D3. It was more of a, "OK, I did that. Now let's see how much further I can go". It was a nod, a recognition of my accomplishment, but now I was ready to get in there and start taking this seriously, and consider myself as an athlete in training.

W5D3 seriously changed my life. It told me that I had the ability and discipline to do this, and to make a complete lifestyle overhaul. This isn't about losing weight anymore, it's about being active and healthy for the rest of my days.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Every single time.

^^THIS!!

:happy:
  • toni_mmh
    toni_mmh Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm on W6D2...
    I feel a sense of accomplishment EVERY SINGLE TIME I run as well.
    each run = accomplishment
    W5D3 = Major Accomplishment
    completion of program will = Big Hairy Audacious Accomplishment
    First 5K will = "will let you know"
    :drinker:
  • likitisplit
    Options
    W5D3 was my big sense of accomplishment. That was the day when I truly realized, "Not only CAN I do this, I AM doing this". It was a big time confidence booster. I laughed out loud on the street when I completed it. I looked around, wanting to share it with someone, but alas, I was alone at 8:30 am on a Saturday. So instead I just giggled and had a big grin on my face, imagining a marching band coming down the street to announce my achievement. I seriously did that. After I ran for 20 minutes straight, I realized I was quite capable of doing anything else. In fact, that day over shadowed the day I completed C25K.

My last day of C25K I didn't have the sense of celebration I had on W5D3. It was more of a, "OK, I did that. Now let's see how much further I can go". It was a nod, a recognition of my accomplishment, but now I was ready to get in there and start taking this seriously, and consider myself as an athlete in training.

W5D3 seriously changed my life. It told me that I had the ability and discipline to do this, and to make a complete lifestyle overhaul. This isn't about losing weight anymore, it's about being active and healthy for the rest of my days.

I love this!!!

Edit: No! Seriously!!! This is so full of awesome, it's going to make me smile all day!
  • NickeeCoco
    Options

Edit: No! Seriously!!! This is so full of awesome, it's going to make me smile all day!

Making someone smile all day is another type of accomplishment. :)
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    W5D3 was HUGE but every single time I finish a run I want to throw my arms up like I'm crossing a finish line!:happy:

This morning I ran for almost 33 minutes but I haven't finished the whole 3.1 miles yet...hopefully this week:blushing: I think my race will be my biggest accomplishment, I ran in my early 20's and always said I would do a 5k but was too scared. Life got crazy and it took me over 10 years to get back to running. C25k gave me the tools to push myself and start running again..I'm now in my late 30's and WILL do my first 5k on Sept 28th:love:
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Every time I finish a run. :-)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Apropos:

"When the task is hard and the progress is slow, you celebrate the small things. When the task is nearly impossible and the progress is glacial, there are no small things and you celebrate all the time--if you want to keep going, you high-five anything and everything that you can remotely trace back to your efforts."

http://www.runnersworld.com/beginners/small-miracles?page=1

BTW - the article also answers the question of "does this get easier?"
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I did the W5D3 run yesterday. I run through my neighborhood, and get onto the bike path on the main road towards the end of my run. Yesterday, as I was running through the neighborhood, running at all the points I'm usually walking, my excitement built.

As I finished the 20 minutes of running, and the coach lady said, congratulations, you've just run 20 minutes without stopping, you can call yourself a runner now, I actually skipped and hopped and whooped it up, on the bike trail, on the main road of my town, as the roads were full of parents taking their kids to school. A couple people actually honked at me, I'm not sure if they were sharing in my celebration or they thought I was seizing. I honestly didn't care, I was so extremely proud of myself for not quitting before this point.

I just teared up a little recalling and typing this up, I'd say this was definitely a huge moment on my path to my ultimate life.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I started feeling a sense of accomplishment after my first 30 second run and it hasn't quit yet.

Me too. Every single time I feel like I accomplished something and I feel POWERFUL!! I'm not sure what it is, maybe the fact that I didn't really think I could do it. I am so proud to be a runner :)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I did the W5D3 run yesterday. I run through my neighborhood, and get onto the bike path on the main road towards the end of my run. Yesterday, as I was running through the neighborhood, running at all the points I'm usually walking, my excitement built.

As I finished the 20 minutes of running, and the coach lady said, congratulations, you've just run 20 minutes without stopping, you can call yourself a runner now, I actually skipped and hopped and whooped it up, on the bike trail, on the main road of my town, as the roads were full of parents taking their kids to school. A couple people actually honked at me, I'm not sure if they were sharing in my celebration or they thought I was seizing. I honestly didn't care, I was so extremely proud of myself for not quitting before this point.

I just teared up a little recalling and typing this up, I'd say this was definitely a huge moment on my path to my ultimate life.

I did the same thing. And I full-on cried at the beginning of my first running 5k.
  • N1kk1L33
    N1kk1L33 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It seems like I am continually feeling a sense of accomplishment every time I make it through another day in this program. I have been overweight for as long as I can remember, but 8 years ago I picked up running and began to feel phenomenal. I wasn't skinny by any means, but I felt good about myself for the first time in my life. Sadly, that period only lasted about a year and a half before life got in my way, and I let go of running. Flash forward to this year, I joined myfitnesspal and heard about the C25K program. The minute I gave it a try, I was terrified. I wanted to start running again and start feeling good about myself, but I knew from past attempts to get back into running that I did not have the skills that I used to anymore. The first work out gave me a wonderful sense of accomplishment because, not only did I finish, but I wasn't even that tired! Then came week 2, and I started to feel discouraged, but kept pushing through. After each run, I realized that I was capable of running -- even if it was only in increments that would make a pro runner laugh. Today, I just completed week 6 day 3 and I can not begin to tell you the accomplishment I feel. 6 weeks ago the idea of running for a minute straight was terrifying, but when I saw the 22 minute time today I didn't even blink! I had to take a few days off a week ago, and I seriously missed the runs. I think getting into this phase of the program is helping me to feel more accomplished than I have in any other sense since that time in my life 8 years ago. I am so excited to see where else I can go, and I really hope everyone here continues to feel accomplishment every day of their fitness journey!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options

Great post.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options

Love this story! Congratulations on conquering W5D3 and sharing this story.
  • teamAmelia
    Options

Awww. I'm glad that you're excited!