Unsure of activity level

Options
I just started back on EM2WL and I'm not sure what activity level I am at. I started a body weight training program (beginners) that I do 3 days a week and then 2 days a week I do interval training on my exercise bike (just started that as well) . I walk a fair bit (5-10km a week give or take at a medium pace) broken up throughout the week as I don't drive but it isn't every day and the rest of the time I am at a desk.

Would that be light activity?

TIA!

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Not a chance is that lightly active, 1-3 hrs of exercise on top of truly sedentary lifestyle otherwise.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1018770-better-rough-tdee-estimate-than-5-level-chart

Be aware that interval training is a heavy load on your muscles.

Your muscles for 24-36 hrs after a good lifting routine are trying to heal and repair, hopefully stronger.

Exercise if done right tears down the body.
    Rest for recovery and repair is what actually builds it up, if eating right.

If the focus is lifting for body transformation, there is only going to be a negative effect of doing intervals while muscles try to repair.
  • angsellis
    Options
    Thank you :)

So should I skip the bike and just do the body weight training 3 days a week?

What level do you think just the weight training is along with my usual walking?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'd do the bike, because it's excellent way to get blood flow which will aid recovery.

Actually, the ill-named fat-burning HR zone was known for years better as the Active Recovery HR zone, no extra load, just good blood flow and use.

So keep HR to that zone for 60 min.

With that total time in mind, use that cheat formula which is exactly what made the 5 rough TDEE levels.

Ballpark figures give ballpark results.
  • angsellis
    Options
    Excellent, thanks :)