NOT loosing weight!

Options
Hey guys. I have been wearing my bodymedia for about a month. Up until then, I was loosing about 1-1.5 pounds a week with a total of 40 pounds total. I put on the bodymedia and it tells me I burn 2500-3000 calories daily. I have been eating about 1700-2000 calories a day mostly clean with a few treats here and there. All of a sudden, I am not loosing any weight. I am very active as I have 2 kids and am always on the go. I am 144 pounds 22 years old. I feel like I am letting the number go to my head. Is it possible I am not burning that much and the bodymedia is wrong? I was on a Shakeology cleanse this week also with almost a 1500 calorie deficit on 2 days and about 500 on the other days. I feel like I should have lost something. For the moment, I took the BM off. Do you think i should give it a break or leave it on and try harder?? Just irritated. Thanks for reading.

Replies

• BarbBBQ
    BarbBBQ Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Curious to see what others will say. I've only had mine a week and hoping for good results. Good luck. :)
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I haven't had much success with it. I think the secret is getting the correct deficit but that's the hard part
  • yeags84
    yeags84 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Have you been doing any strength exercises? Its possible that you are building muscle while losing fat, which would make it seem like the scale isn't moving.

The BM is about 90% accurate, so even with that margin of error, if you weren't doing any strength and were hitting a 500calorie/day deficit, I would still expect to see some loss...
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies! I am not doing an type of strength training as of now. I am finishing up my last 2 days of Turbofire and have lost about 30 pounds from it total. Today was weigh in day and I actually gained .2. Just going to keep pushing through and trying harder and see what happens next week.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    the scale is only one measurement out of many that states whether ythe BMF is workign or not. Here are some other indicators

-Clothes are feeling loose
    -You know how to eat healty
    -You have gone down a size in clothing.
    -Have you started your cycle...can throw things off

Dont get so hung up on the scale..she can be a crazy beotch sometimes.
  • jmcreynolds91
    Options
    I always try to remember not to get hung up with that scale. Its so hard, but im NOT giving up!! :wink:

As far as eating right, I feel like I have a good grasp on that. I do have a couple of bad things here and there and being that I am about 13 pounds from goal weight, that may be having an impact on me. I used to be able to have treats and still lose when I was much bigger but I think now I will have to buckle down. I am just going to go with, I am close to GW so it will be harder and just try as hard as I can! And it "could" be TOM so Im not going to get too irratated with it. Feeling much better today!
  • JRadd14
    JRadd14 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yes, TOM can affect your results, as well as too much sodium or carbs (anything that causes bloating)...
    Are you logging all your calories every day as accurately as possible?

Well as stated, BMF is around 90% accurate. Calories for food are also not 'exact' and something that shows it's a 100 calories can in fact be a bit higher, but must be in a certain percentage. So... if your burn is really a bit lower and your calorie consumption is a bit higher, your deficit may not be as much as shown. I find I really need a 1000 calorie deficit to see the scale move.

I've been wearing my BMF Link for months, and love it, but it's one data point... it can take time to figure out what works for you...

And yes, as you get closer to goal it gets harder. And if you do about the same thing every day (excercise and eating the same number of calories) your body will adjust to that... they mixing things up!
  • jmcreynolds91
    Options
    Will do! Thank you!
  • mcanavan05
    mcanavan05 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    anyone drinking one weeknight or a weekend afternoon while using BMF daily?..betting that is slowing my journey..
  • jmcreynolds91
    Options
    anyone drinking one weeknight or a weekend afternoon while using BMF daily?..betting that is slowing my journey..

Not recently while having my BMF but when I have drank in the past, the next morning I was up about 5 pounds and that was drinking water too. I try to stay away from alcohol as it has a ton of calories!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Although the BMF claims to be 90% accurate, if you do a bit of research, you will find that it is actually 90% accurate for a certain percent (large like 90) of the population, but only 80% accurate for the rest. So it is possible for it to be off for you. I think mine reads a little high, but now after wearing it for 5 months it is reading a little lower. I think you need to enter your weight regularly, too, which I did not do at first. and that seems to hep it adjust.

It does seem to adjust some to my body, but remember that it still is basing its calculations on averages of the general poplulation, and some people will fall outside the average.

I find the weekly, bi weekly, and monthly reports to be very helpful. They give me a better pictue of trends. I am now keeping a log with weekly averages and weight. It has been helpful in seeing what is really going on, and what I need to use as my deficit. I think eventually that is the number you will look at, not the total burn number.

So I encourage you to watch and track your numbers.
  • mcanavan05
    mcanavan05 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    BMF syncing to MFP for everyone today? waiting 30m to capture 1.5 mi run..
  • MarkC1963
    MarkC1963 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm getting fed up with BM as syncing exercise readings to MFP is becoming unreliable and I'm wasting too much time disconnecting and reconnecting the apps, etc. Thinking about a fitbit but it's not as good for calorie measurement.
  • lovebig30
    lovebig30 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    ive lost 5lb in the month ive had my bodymedia with an average defict of 600 calories a day so I lost what my defict shows. with you only having less than 20 lb to lose you weight loss will slow down you should only be aiming for .5lb a week at most maybe ajust your stats for a better target.
  • jmcreynolds91
    Options
    Thanks!
  • BarbBBQ
    BarbBBQ Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I wasn't thrilled with my fitbit. BM has so much more info. But I can understand your frustration lately! It truly has been frustrating.
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    I'm getting fed up with BM as syncing exercise readings to MFP is becoming unreliable and I'm wasting too much time disconnecting and reconnecting the apps, etc. Thinking about a fitbit but it's not as good for calorie measurement.
    You are right as all it is is an upscale pedometer/activity tracker. Perhaps the new Polar wrist band with the ability to hook up to you HRM is a better answer. It will be out next month. Just remember that if you are fed up with syncing issues you wont escape by changing platform. Check out the Fit Bit forums or support forums.

Will NEVER go back to a fitbit, they are poor for calculating calories (esp for my metabolism) and great at issuing negative numbers with the way they spread them.