Exercise

Options
Ok fellow sleevers, how many of you are exercising and at what level? Beginning? Intermediate? Hard core? What kind of exercises do you do and how much?

Replies

• tlc4life
    tlc4life Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 6 weeks out. I am doing the Biggest Loser Quick Start DVD. This week it is 10 minutes each day, and it increases each week.

I am also doing 20 minutes on my elliptical, and it is sooo hard! I'm tracking how far I go in 20 minutes and as long as it increases every couple of days I'm happy. It is a killer workout for me.

So 30 min a day right now, but will be increasing gradually. :)
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hey :) I am 10 months out now. A few weeks ago I started the "new rules of lifting for women". I was also following the C25K program, but I put it on hold until I got into a groove with the lifting. I currently lift 3x a week and jog when I feel like it (so about once a week lol). The lifting takes about 40 minutes a day, the jogging 40 as well (with warm up/cool down).

I started because my weight loss slowed significantly and I was just feel blah and weak. Prior to these I didn't do "official" exercise, but I was walking all the time (I was in NY, NY! for a few months) and stairs, etc. I was a nanny to a newborn so I was also lifting all the baby things and taking care of the house. It was tiresome!!
  • reneemosley
    reneemosley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am about 8 weeks out and walk outside or on the treadmill 3-4 times a week. I try and squeeze in a zumba or belly dancing class also. I have been taking it easy and trying to increase weekly.
  • Buzzyi
    Buzzyi Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 weeks out, was given the all clear to submerge last week and have been swimming (breaststroke) for 30 minutes every day. I plan to add 5 minutes every week until I am up to an hour. I have been walking on the odd day but far prefer swimming, it burns heaps of calories and works my triceps and tum which are two areas I am worried about. Once I am used to this regime I may change it up to something else, but for now I'm loving it.
  • SamanthaH10
    SamanthaH10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm a little over 8 months out and I am just starting back in the gym after a 3 month break. At the time I quit going, I was running like crazy! I love the elliptical =)

Since I am at my goal, I am not starting to muscle build and am following a routine set out by bodybuilding.com. So far, I am LOVING it! There's nothing better than that painful feeling after a workout; it makes me feel like I've done something! lol

http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/female-20to39-muscle-building/training
  • dznygrl70
    dznygrl70 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Four months out and started exercising one month post-surgery. I am at the gym an average of 4x per week. I take a 60-minute water aerobics class on Mondays and Wednesdays, the other days I get in 60-65 minutes on the elliptical, plus try to get 30 minutes of strength training in at least twice a week.
  • SumoH
    SumoH Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Necroposting this topic.

I'm about 6 months post op and have been cycling as my primary form of cardio. I'd like to eventually complete a century ride, but I am concerned about fluid and food intake issues due to VSG. Does anyone have an idea for the frequency and amount of intake required for a 100 mile ride? I'm in the planning/training stage now and am giving myself a year to prepare. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!
  • Kristopia
    Kristopia Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm four years out, and just recently revamped my exercise routine. I moved into an apartment community with a great workout room, and it's also right on over 20 miles worth of walking trails. I do strength training 20 minutes at a time 4 days a week. I walk nearly every day, from 1/2 mile to a mile or more, though I'm trying to ramp it up to more. Also doing more fun activities that get me moving. Tomorrow, going to play disc golf with friends - on an 18 basket course, that's a good amount of walking, and my shoulder will be sore from throwing :)