Protein Intake 6 months after surgery

Options
I sure do hope someone can help me on this one. It has been 6 months since I had WLS and have lost 85 pounds so far. for the past 2 weeks I have noticed that I do not like eating animal protein. I am having a hard time eating pork of any kind and now beef is starting to bother me. Just the smell of it can make me gag anymore. Does anyone have any ideas regarding subsitute items for protein since I know that protein intake is very important and I need to have so much protein each day. I am at a loss about this. My nutritionist told me that I might be low on Zinc and this might be causing my problem. I am not sure of this, all I know is I would like to have sources of protein intake besides animal protein. I did have gastric bypass surgery so if anyone who had this surgery or the sleeve can help me I would really appriciate your input.
thank you.

Replies

• annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, seafood, eggs, cheese, eggplant, spinach, tofu......
  • cspinelli712
    cspinelli712 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ann, thank you for your suggestions, I will give them a try. I just was not sure where to start. Thanks again.
  • BringingSherriBack
    Options
    eggs, cheese, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, protein shakes

I think that tuna and chicken go down easier than beef or pork (personally anyway).
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    So funny that you should post this. Just got the following in my email from SparkPeople:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=158

This should give you a lot of options and even gives you nutritional values.

Hope this help!

Good Luck
  • cspinelli712
    Options
    Sherrie, thank you for your response. I do find the chicken does go down the best for me but pork, and beef are real problems for me. It seems that my nutriontionist is reluctant to give me any suggestions on protein that is not animal based protein. She tells me that I must be low on Zinc can if I take 3 teaspoons of zinc everyday that within 2 weeks my taste buds will change. I am not so sure about that at this point. I know for a fact I want to give up all things pork and at 6 months out from surgery I should be able to get protein from cheese, yogurt, and certain types of beans. Thanks again, Cheryl
  • cspinelli712
    Options
    Hi Tricia, thank you for sending me this link, I will check it out right now. I am sure this will help me.
    Thanks again,
    Cheryl