Hormone changes and weight gain

Options
13»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yam gel, do they sell it by the gallons, because I want to fill my tub with in and bathe in it, if it will help with hot flashes? I have them so bad, I sometimes miss work because of the exhaustion and recovery process.

Wow, I did not know it was that bad for some women. :noway:
    At work (I'm a nurse), we have gels with combinations of medications in them that include anti-anxiety and anti-nausea meds.
    We rub them into areas of thin skin on our patients.
    I wouldn't mind a tub full of that either, as I get nauseated right before each hot flash...:devil:
    I get nausea before/during hot flashes too. Took me ages to figure out that's what was happening. No one warned me about the nausea!
  • samedame
    Options
    Okay I have a question for you all. Anyone here have a history of blood clots in the lung? I do, and I know that the regular hormone therapy is verboten for me. I am just wondering if anyone has experience or knowledge about the yam progesterone and whether or not it has the tendency to create clots???? Or has anyone who has had clots been placed on it by a bona fide practitioner? I know that it is somewhat out of the mainstream, but I would try it if it is "safe" and see if there is any improvement (fatigue, weight gain, trouble concentrating, stiffness with sitting down).
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    SD - I strongly recommend finding a practitioner in your area that will prescribe naturally compounded hormones. They are not the same and possibly can be used by someone with your needs. A regular practitioner will NOT be able to tell you though...it is pretty specialized.
    Good luck.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    SD - I strongly recommend finding a practitioner in your area that will prescribe naturally compounded hormones. They are not the same and possibly can be used by someone with your needs. A regular practitioner will NOT be able to tell you though...it is pretty specialized.
    Good luck.
    +1 for this

Good luck!
  • Chickabittie
    Options
    I'm glad ladies are finding this helpful.
    I get frustrated on the forums when a 20-something meathead tells you to just eat at a deficit and lift heavy.
    A lot of people really don't understand the realities of being a peri/menopausal woman.
    Be gone belly fat!

Thank you for the article, and thank you for this^^^.
    I've got tears in my eyes. It feels so good to be understood! I've used wild yam cream in the past, for horrendous PMS. I'm going to look into progesterone cream to balance out my hormones. Bye bye belly fat, and bye bye migraines!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I get frustrated on the forums when a 20-something meathead tells you to just eat at a deficit and lift heavy.
    A lot of people really don't understand the realities of being a peri/menopausal woman.
    Be gone belly fat!

I've got tears in my eyes. It feels so good to be understood! I've used wild yam cream in the past, for horrendous PMS. I'm going to look into progesterone cream to balance out my hormones. Bye bye belly fat, and bye bye migraines!

:flowerforyou:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Be gone belly fat!

Here's my original post about the shirtless mafia:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/567264-some-thoughts-on-it-s-just-math
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Shirtless mafia :laugh:
  • Ladylouwolf
    Ladylouwolf Posts: 39
    Options
    Wild Jam is a great starter for most. It can be found at most health food stores. It stopped working for me though after a year and I am currently on Progesterone Tablets at night(they make you sleepy), Estrogen Cream in the morning, and once every couple weeks a very tiny shot of Testosterone! No, my voice did not get lower, no new hair growth is weird places or loss on my head( ;-) ), feeling better. All biodentical hormones, but it is not cheap seeing a Wellness Doctor, but worth it! Good luck to all of you! It is a journey!
  • Ladylouwolf
    Ladylouwolf Posts: 39
    Options
    Good luck.
    +1 for this

Good luck!
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'll be the skeptic here; I don't mind. From what I've read, it's either a placebo or a substance that creates precursor to progesterone. If you believe that it works and use it, then you are essentially using a mild, OTC form of HRT.

In the OP, I don't see any peer reviewed evidence cited. I couldn't find anything out there. If there is, I'll change my mind. In the meantime, remember that just because it comes from a plant doesn't mean that it's not a drug.
  • jingoace
    jingoace Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    [/quote]Try finding something labeled progesterone cream. I am now using a compounded one (from the pharmacy) but was previously using one from Emerita.

http://www.amazon.com/Emerita-Pro-Gest-Natural-Progesterone-Paraben-Free/dp/B000IMQE5U
    [/quote]

Thank you for posting this.... I went ahead & ordered the 48 single use packets of this and within 3 days of starting to use it - I can tell a big difference! 1) I actually slept through the night for the first time in FOREVER w/o waking up every 2 hours!!! (BIG DEAL, for me!) 2) I have had a couple very energetic productive days, and am not feeling fatigued 3) My weight has gone down 4) No hot flashes for 3 days!!! (ANOTHER BIG DEAL FOR ME!)

So I will use it for 3 weeks then take a week off, then start again for 3 weeks I'll let you know if it keeps making a difference. For me, this is the AWESOME! Thanks again for sharing your tips everyone for getting through this stage of our lives!!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I'll be the skeptic here; I don't mind. From what I've read, it's either a placebo or a substance that creates precursor to progesterone. If you believe that it works and use it, then you are essentially using a mild, OTC form of HRT.

In the OP, I don't see any peer reviewed evidence cited. I couldn't find anything out there. If there is, I'll change my mind. In the meantime, remember that just because it comes from a plant doesn't mean that it's not a drug.
    I don't know what my post offers, other than anecdotal evidence about actual USP bioidentical progesterone (Emerita)....but the two times I started using OTC progesterone, back before perimenopause when I was the QUEEN of the consistently 24 day cycle, my cycle reset itself. The first time, I was not expecting it. The second time I wasn't either, but was more aware. Ironically, when I began prescribed bioidentical progesterone (in perimenopause), it didn't.
    Does OTC progesterone resolved the symptoms? I dunno. But it does do something. :happy:
    fwiw: I'm still trying to decide which of the bio-identicals (progesterone or estriol) is helping with my symptoms now. And NOTHING has helped with weight loss for long. I've lost my 5LBs about 8 times in the last few years.
  • Chukka
    Chukka Posts: 1
    Options
    I've just turned 50 and have used MFP on and off for years, initially to lose 2 stone and now to keep a track after gaining 10lbs or so. I am sloooowly on the way down but without doubt am experiencing a distinct slow down in loss rate. Whilst I was away I clearly reached menopause and although I am strict with calories and ensuring I exercise at the same rate as before its much harder!! It's all about the sleep for me. I'm on HRT which has reduced most of my symptons and I have no adverse side effects other than my 'doughy' tummy. Exercise and a reduction in alcohol (sadly) has meant I am getting to sleep much quicker but I sleep with a snorer who gets up at 5.30am every day and 2 grown up children who rise at various other times, and me up at 7am!! I know that when I am allowed to sleep until 7am without being disturbed my weight falls, or at least remains stable. A week off work with an empty house will allow me to drop 3lbs without problem....... short of moving out or sleeping in the shed it's a pain. Unfortunately my sleep pattern just won't allow me to go to bed earlier and wake earlier even though I have tried. After tracking for a few weeks it's clear that I've got to work harder. BTW any thoughts on the warnings that say you've consumed too few calories??
  • psylvester1
    Options
    Does the wild yam gel help with their weight gain; or, other symptoms of moodiness, hot flashes, night sweats, etc?

Thanks.
  • psylvester1
    Options
    Trying Wild Yam Gel. Many of my friends said it works great for them, hope so! :-)

Does the wild yam gel help with their weight gain; or, other symptoms of moodiness, hot flashes, night sweats, etc?

Thanks.
  • iasue
    iasue Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    New to the group and looking for any tips to help me out. I'm 46 soon to be 47 years young and weight loss is a struggle. I eat good, workout regularly and nothing seems to help. Thank you in advance!!!

This would be me as well, except I am 48 soon to be 49 this fall. I have been struggling to lose 40 pounds that I have gained in the past 2 1/2 years from perimenopause and the anti depressant medications I had been on. So frustrating!!
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I''ve had to kick up my cardio, weight training and virtually eliminate gluten, sugar, and coffee to stay at my weight range of 138 to 141 (I'm 5 ft 8 inches.) I did each sequentially when I found that I was still gaining... I don't love it, and it has been frustrating, but I just couldn't seem to stop that 5 to 7 lb gain every 6 months without some pretty tough measures..I wish I could!

However, what I find really annoying: that menopot. If I eat vegetables/beans I look as if I'm 6 months pregnant. I can wear the clothes I wore pre-menopause, but everything is tight around the waist.
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I will be checking out the creams and the book to get more info. I appreciate useful info from women in the same stage of life -- males or 20/30-somethings have their own issues but overall, not relevant to where I'm at!