How did you meet your significant other?

Options
2»

Replies

• mustapekka
    Options
    wow, i love your stories! so glad i started this thread!
  • jmwolffyy
    jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Working every day to ensure that happy ending... but I have only known my girlfriend for 8 weeks tomorrow. We met online via OkCupid.com. Her profile was such that I did not feel the need to respond, but apparently she liked reading all about my insane life, and she sent me a message. Her message was what did it for me, because it was not quite the same persona she had indicated on her profile - which was purposely to weed out the wrong type of response. The kicker was that we were both just wanting to make a new friend or FWB at most, and within days we were having long online conversations that led quickly to a coffee date - which lasted 4.5 hours, yes, sitting at Starbucks that entire time! From the moment I fell into her eyes, I haven't come back up for air!

We are both at the end of situations that caused us to only be looking for friendship, and we are both aware that there is a possibility that the reason we have come together so well at the moment is the ability to help one another get past the difficult times. Her difficulty is that she recently lost her soulmate after a long drawn out illness. Because of the length of the illness, she has done a large part of grieving already, although we both know she has more to do, as well as learning how to hold on to her memories. The reason I mention this is that it is why we both feel that there could be so much more than just a temporary relationship... she says that there are so many things about our relationship that are so similar to the one she had with the previous soulmate. She says she never dreamed she could have ever gotten lucky enough to have 2 relationships like that, but just when she had given up on ever feeling a love like that again, I showed up. And I know exactly the things she means when she talks about the connection she feels because I feel it too.

So in the meantime we take everything a day at a time. We enjoy our connection, and we work through the difficult things. And when there are issues that seem like they should make things harder, they have worked themselves out so far each and every time. It is very strange and very exciting because there are so many reasons we should not have even found each other, let alone feel the way we do, and yet each of those reasons has been resolved before it ever became a problem! I hope I can stay lost in her eyes forever, because I am the happiest I have ever been in my entire life!
  • inclinedbeauty
    inclinedbeauty Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    plentyoffish.com! Actually met my current girlfriend and my ex on there. My ex is now my best friend.

I recommend the site to everyone!
  • DaveHuby
    DaveHuby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I moved into the flat downstairs, he came to say hello and just forgot to go home. . . . 23 years ago!

:drinker:
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I moved into the flat downstairs, he came to say hello and just forgot to go home. . . . 23 years ago!

:drinker:

Dat's cute
  • stacyhaddenham
    stacyhaddenham Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not I made a "happy mistake" when I met my beloved. I had been divorced for about 10 years and hadn't been out on a date in that time when a friend convinced me to go on yahoo personals. Once she convinced me to set up the profile it took another 6 months to decide to message someone. lol I had just worked up the nerve to message a woman who's handle was "Brown Sugar Momma" and sent this stupid message "Care to find out if we have more in common than just a love of play dough?". Turns out I actually clicked on "Can Be Candy" who's favorite childhood toy was the sit n spin.

It was the best "mistake" I have ever made. We emailed a few times and then decided after a life changing phone call with her to meet. I sold life insurance at the time and after that one phone call I was so sure that she was "The ONE" that I had changed my policy and made her the beneficiary. We joke now that I am lucky she wasn't a serial killer since at the time I had a $500,000 policy with a double indemnity rider that would have made her a very rich woman if I had fallen down the stairs that night.
  • mindfulmac
    mindfulmac Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    We met 3 years ago on OK Cupid and it has been incredible ever since. I wholeheartedly believe that she is my true love. We're engaged right now and I can't wait until we get married! :)
  • omnomnomicon
    Options
    Plenty of Fish!

Also, she was the first and only person I spoke to, and it was the first and only dating website I ever used.

We've been together nearly 2 years. Everyday I still think she is the most amazing beautiful woman on earth, and we are incredibly happy :heart: !
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I met my wife through work, sort of. She's the sister-in-law of somebody I used to work with. There was a camping trip at a beach area near where she lives that I attended. She visited to see her nephews. I knew she was gay, although apparently nobody else did (huh?? Stoopid naive country folk!). I loved the connection she had with her nephews. We chatted a bit. She soon "came out" to the surprise of all who knew her (i still am bemused by this!) I asked her sis-in-law for her contact details, but she got them wrong and I kept ringing some poor old fella! Eventually, she emailed me, we met again and she came over for dinner / movie. I fed her a frozen pizza that I forgot to take the polystyrene base off. She's a pastry chef!

We hung out for a while, hooking up sometimes. But I was a bit screwed up from previous relationships and kept breaking it off. Eventually, I broke it off for good. But then found my list of all things I wanted in a partner that I'd written after the last break-up. It was 3 pages long!! She met all but 2 (she is shorter than me and doesn't have great teeth!). So, with the push from my BFF, texted her to see if she'd have me back. Luckily for me, she was up for the challenge! We were married at the beach about 2 years later, and have been together another 4 years since then. She's my rock and I'm her butterfly. It's great!
  • onemoc
    onemoc Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    October 2006, at the local renfaire. We were introduced by a mutual friend- I had like 3 people hit on me that day. Anyway, I was manic but had managed to figure out that a relationship with him would last longer through our conversations. He was dressed casual and I was wearing my hair long, eye makeup and my goth attire. We went out with his friends afterwards for a meal at an Ihop, Unfortunately, one of the managers from the job I was working saw me (I was playing hooky from 3rd shift that night). So I had to go to work.

about a year later June 13 (friday) 2008 we had a handfasting with a small group of friends. The handfasting was was done at midnight at bonfire on my family's farm/homestead down by a creek. We were blessed with an interesting life, and it has been.

in 15 days we celebrate 7 years together.