For the girls only

Ok, so I am hoping the guys shy away from this, but probably not. So I'll just ask what I need to ask.

I've been on keto faithfully for 5 days now. I feel overall pretty good and am avoiding most keto "flu" symptoms except for slight fatigue. My diary is open to friends if you want to check it out. Yes, I've been over on calories most days, but I'm not too worried about that at this point. I've done the keto thing before and that straightened itself out after the first couple of weeks. I'm pretty certain I'll have a reduced appetite soon.

The first time around, back in March, I dropped 8 pounds in a week. Nice! Looking back at my calendar, I started the diet back then just after my period started. Fast forward to now. I started this diet, lost 5.2 pounds in the first 3 days...oh, I was tantalizingly close to my "lowest" MFP weight! Day 4, 5, and today showed a GAIN! I gained just over a pound. In addition, my period started a week earlier than I expected.

Can keto mess with cycles like that? Is this abnormal? I'll be scheduling an appointment with my doctor some time soon, but in the mean time, I'd like to know the effects keto has on a woman's cycle and what effect keto has on a woman's weight during her cycle.

Stats: 39years 5'8
9/10 271
9/11 268.6 (-2.4)
9/12 265.8 (-2.8/-5.2)
9/13 266.6 (+.8/-4.4)
9/14 266.4 (-.2/-4.6) <<cycle starts
9/15 267.2 (+.8/-3.8)

I'm more curious than worried. I appreciate any help, and hope others can possibly get some knowledge out of this.

Replies

• Nah, from everything I've read this is normal for women, especially in the induction phase, because your body is adjusting to relying on the ketones you're processing instead of insulin. Definitely keep track of your cycle though, and don't worry about minor weight fluctuations like that, 1-5 lb changes in a day is normal. And when you're menstruating, all bets are freakin' off because you start retaining more water. Most of the losses in the first week are from water weight that's tied up with insulin, so since your cycle started during week one, that is the most likely reason you are not seeing that same number as before.

I know, because I weigh myself daily also, that seeing that number on the scale go up can feel like a loss and it's hard to tell yourself otherwise. But don't worry, your diary looks fine, and at least initially, the calories are not nearly as important as the macro ratios. Far as I can tell you are doing everything right. The only thing I would say is that you need to drink A LOT more water. Especially on keto, around a gallon a day is good. Throwing in a cup of broth or some vitamins helps keep your electrolytes up.

Keep it up, you're awesome!

(edited for clumsy finger typos)
  • samuelsson
    samuelsson Posts: 74 Member
    Everything is related to everything else. Our bodies do not operate in a vacuum. As a result, what we eat, how our bodies metabolize food, where our energy is coming from, and our cycles all interact. I've spoken to a number of women who say that dieting in general has affected their cycles, and ketogenic diets specifically appear (from anecdotal report) to have additional impacts of various kinds.

=P

All this goes to say that you shouldn't worry too much. I also weigh daily and get sad when my weight fluctuates up, but that's the nature of the beast. In general, you're seeing a downward progression, which is wonderful! And your diary looks good. Do you have more specific concerns, or just generally checking to make sure everything looks okay?
  • It was more to satisfy my curiosity and confirm my suspicions. It's my body responding to how I'm now living, and that's what I wanted to confirm. Like I said, I did this once before, but at a different point in my cycle so I didn't really have any effects like this.

Thank you for your help.
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    I've been on BCPs for 15 years, obviously with periods like clockwork and the first time I got into ketosis (accidentally, actually), my period came a few days early. The next month it was a full week early. While still taking pills. From everything I've read, it's not uncommon....keto is all about hormone manipulation so it's not surprising that our lady hormones are affected too.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    this diet hasn't affected my cycle so far but is it possible it's just a fluke that your period was a week early. I know for me random week or two week jumps in my period have been pretty normal for me all my adult life. Most of the time it's regular but sometimes for no reason it will jump a week give or take later or earlier.

starting induction around your period though who knows how your body will react as far as water weight retention or loss. I'd not worry about it too much.