Suggestions, Please! :)

Options
Good morning, everyone! I started EM2WL on August 5th. I upped my calories from around 1400 per day to TDEE - 15% on August 5. For 4 weeks, my weight climbed a little bit each day, until I had gained 8 pounds. On the 5th week, I started to see a steady drop in the scale, and even got down to 167, which is the lowest weight I've ever been.

However, last week I started gaining again. I didn't change my diet, or do anything radically different with my exercise routine. My muscles were sore last week, so I'm guessing that some of the added weight was water retention...but this morning I'm not sore at all and I'm still 6 pounds up!

I have complete faith in this process and I know that eating this way is something I will do for the rest of my life. I guess I just was curious to see if this has happened to anyone else? Has anyone experienced a nice steady drop and then all of a sudden started gaining again? And if so, what did you do differently to change that?

Thanks in advance, y'all! :)

Replies

• Via88
    Via88 Posts: 46
    Options
    I would love to hear from people that have some answers for you. The EM2WL thing hasn't taken off for me either, i've stayed the same or gained this whole time, haven't seen any real progress. I started on July 4th...so it's been 2 months.
  • Kristendcampbell
    Kristendcampbell Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I think many are doing a full reset. Which means we eat at full TDEE for 8-12 weeks before the cut. That way the body metabolism reset and is ready to go. So more than likely you haven't done a reset. You got a temporary boost, but you would want to do a full reset.

So get your activity level most will be lightly or moderate activity and then you eat at TDEE for the 8-12 weeks. If you like start by increasing calories by 250 a day until you get to TDEE that may slow any gain (which is primarily water). THen start the 8-12 week reset. OR you can jump to TDEE and gain quick then settle into the 8-12 weeks.

I jumped immediately from very low calories to my TDEE gained 11 in 1.5 weeks and have stayed the same since. Which is good. Early October I will cut 15% from TDEE
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    For your changes that quick, I've mostly seen invalid weigh-ins. False weight loss on one, false weight gain on the other. Of course what fluctuates is water weight.

Only valid weigh-in time for looking at weekly trends is morning after rest day eating normal sodium levels and not sore from last workout. If that doesn't happen, don't even bother weighing. Meaningless number outside a 3-4 month view of a trend line.

As a woman, your BMR literally does change through the month, so require 1 month for even a compare with valid numbers.

2 major reasons I see all the time for weight still going up or changes.

1st - logging food becomes sloppy, or was already. Need to weigh everything except liquid. Prepackaged or not. Weigh what you will eat, divide by serving weight, there are your servings to log. A bunch of 1.25 to 1.45 servings start adding up over a day.

Fix - start weighing everything.

2nd - starting with bad BMR as basis for math, and not being honest with activity calculator, this can have you overeating or still suppressed because your TDEE is higher.
    Best BMR is Katch based on bodyfat %, and not a calculator with 1 measurement to get it, couple calc's with many measurements to increase accuracy.
    Because of past yo-yo dieting, many have burnt off decent amounts of muscle mass, and their metabolism is now 200-400 lower than BMR based on age, weight, height would lend one to believe.

It is good to eat to potential TDEE, but based on actual metabolism best estimate, not what it could be if you had muscle mass back. You can only correct that part with heavy lifting.

Confirm the math starts with best foundation, and honest with activity level. There's no benefit to eating more than what metabolism could be, it doesn't keep going higher except for fact you start weighing more, but wrong way to increase it.