Starting Keto Monday :)

Options
Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself to the group... I'm a type 2 diabetic and have maintained with diet and exercise, no meds for me :)

I've found that its more of a struggle when doing the regular calorie in calorie out method to keep my sugar in control.. So I really looked into the Keto diet and did a lot of research and think this is the right way to go for me with my health.

Hope everyone has a great week!

Replies

• emmysusanne
    emmysusanne Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi there :) I find your no medication approach admirable and wish you good luck and health with Keto! I've been on it for a few weeks and feel fantastic (not diabetic though, just fat, lol!) x
  • mo11ybloom
    Options
    Welcome! Tomorrow I start my 3rd week on keto, and I love it! I never feel deprived or hungry, though I've never been a big fan of carbs/sweets anyway, so I was lucky in that respect. Check out the diaries of all your MFP friends for ideas on things to cook or snack on. Some people find themselves in a rut because they think they can only have chicken and spinach every day, but there is quite a variety. Oh, and drink your water!!!
  • SASSYGIRLY30
    SASSYGIRLY30 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the welcome!! I've done Atkins before with great success... I was scared at the time of the fat intake and turned to the ADA DIET (diabetic association) which is a complete joke for a diabetic..

I took the time to really research keto and my fears have settled down now... We are taught to think that high fat is a no no for diabetics and that it will lead to heart disease, but what they don't teach you is its due to mixing carbs and high fat etc...

I will def be snooping around for ideas and more info :smile:
  • BryonyKate
    BryonyKate Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    hey! I just started too on monday and loooove it :) I had completely cut most fats out of my diet for so long believing they were harmful so I LOVE being able to eat cheese again..and cream, and red meat! I noticed you said " I've done Atkins before with great success.".. what actually is the main difference between atkins and keto? Is it that atkins just focusses on low carb, but not necessarily high fat? Whereas keto is all about high fat?
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Tomorrow I start my 3rd week on keto, and I love it! I never feel deprived or hungry, though I've never been a big fan of carbs/sweets anyway, so I was lucky in that respect. Check out the diaries of all your MFP friends for ideas on things to cook or snack on. Some people find themselves in a rut because they think they can only have chicken and spinach every day, but there is quite a variety. Oh, and drink your water!!!

What!!!! chicken and spinach are nom though! :)
  • SASSYGIRLY30
    Options
    hey! I just started too on monday and loooove it :) I had completely cut most fats out of my diet for so long believing they were harmful so I LOVE being able to eat cheese again..and cream, and red meat! I noticed you said " I've done Atkins before with great success.".. what actually is the main difference between atkins and keto? Is it that atkins just focusses on low carb, but not necessarily high fat? Whereas keto is all about high fat?

Atkins is the same as keto... At the time that I did it I was first diagnosed with type 2 diabetes... I started Atkins and lost 36 lbs and felt great... When I started learning more and more about diabetes I got scared that the diet might be to high in fat for a diabetic because of the high risk diabetes gives with heart disease... I should have looked more into Atkins/keto and learned the facts but I was so confused and messed up from being diagnosed with diabetes that I went with what the diabetes association provided as far as diet and to be honest it's all crap!!!

The amount of carbs they allow in there diet is impossibly to high for a diabetic.. So I went low carb low fat and high protein and that just didn't work either... When I finally read more about keto I realized that this is what I need to follow and what I should have stuck with!

My cravings are gone already and my energy is starting to come back... Definitely loving it :smile:
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options

What!!!! chicken and spinach are nom though! :)

Chicken stuffed with spinach and cream cheese.....OMG.
  • Kate029
    Kate029 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

I am on my 3rd week and loving it, just like you I also have eaten low fat for sooooooooo long and it wasn't doing anything for me and I would just fall off the bandwagon becuase I wanted something delicious, now I get to eat awesome things everyday and not feel hungry, I used to have 2 - 3 snacks a day along with my three main meals, now I find I don't need snacks at all and the amount that I eat has halfed! It's awesome to be finally losing weight again :D
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Low carb is a great diet for diabetics, imo. We started on it last year when my husband got a diagnosis of type 2. One year later he is no longer diabetic. :) And we both lost weight. We did, however, have to watch calories because in the beginning we didn't eat enough, and then we got real good at it (lol!) and had to be careful not to eat too much.
  • T1Holly
    T1Holly Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I myself am a Type 1 diabetic - 20 years now. I used the traditional ADA system for 15 years and LOTS of insulin and ended up developing insulin resistance, which made me have more issues. Ever since I turned to a low carb and keto approach, I'v e lost over 100 lbs, have more energy than ever, and my diabetes has been the best ever. I also wear a pump now because it's easier with all the activities I do.

There are times when I see my carb count or my protein go up a little too high, but it's usually when I'm doing more running. So, I try to bring it back down some. And my diary looks pretty boring during the week because I mass cook my meals on Sunday and prep for the entire week. It makes life alot easier and my blood sugars more predictable. And I still eat lots of chicken breasts because I love it - but I try to add a good fat to it as well. But, I'm on 1/3 of the insulin I was on and my doctor is happier than ever. Good luck!
  • SASSYGIRLY30
    Options
    my issue with the low carb/low fat/high protein is too much protein turns to glucose... I had less energy because i was working out more and something just wasn't right i was doing to much to maintain my numbers..

which is why the keto works better for me, I should have stuck with this from the beginning... :)
  • SASSYGIRLY30
    Options
    that sounds yum!
  • SASSYGIRLY30
    Options

I am on my 3rd week and loving it, just like you I also have eaten low fat for sooooooooo long and it wasn't doing anything for me and I would just fall off the bandwagon becuase I wanted something delicious, now I get to eat awesome things everyday and not feel hungry, I used to have 2 - 3 snacks a day along with my three main meals, now I find I don't need snacks at all and the amount that I eat has halfed! It's awesome to be finally losing weight again :D

yes exactly!!! My snacking is once a day and that's only to get my calorie/fat/protein goal... my cravings are in check and I'm starting to get my energy back..
  • SASSYGIRLY30
    Options
    I myself am a Type 1 diabetic - 20 years now. I used the traditional ADA system for 15 years and LOTS of insulin and ended up developing insulin resistance, which made me have more issues. Ever since I turned to a low carb and keto approach, I'v e lost over 100 lbs, have more energy than ever, and my diabetes has been the best ever. I also wear a pump now because it's easier with all the activities I do.

There are times when I see my carb count or my protein go up a little too high, but it's usually when I'm doing more running. So, I try to bring it back down some. And my diary looks pretty boring during the week because I mass cook my meals on Sunday and prep for the entire week. It makes life alot easier and my blood sugars more predictable. And I still eat lots of chicken breasts because I love it - but I try to add a good fat to it as well. But, I'm on 1/3 of the insulin I was on and my doctor is happier than ever. Good luck!

I love chicken breast too :) I try to cook it in fat or put some cheese on it to add the fat I need...

See now that is amazing and it's really sad that diabetics are given all the wrong info for a disease that can be controlled in a better way with diet and exercise... Well I'm just glad that many look into other alternatives and not all just stick with the bogus info we are all given!
  • SASSYGIRLY30
    Options
    Low carb is a great diet for diabetics, imo. We started on it last year when my husband got a diagnosis of type 2. One year later he is no longer diabetic. :) And we both lost weight. We did, however, have to watch calories because in the beginning we didn't eat enough, and then we got real good at it (lol!) and had to be careful not to eat too much.

my issue with the low carb/low fat/high protein is too much protein turns to glucose... I had less energy because i was working out more and something just wasn't right i was doing to much to maintain my numbers..

which is why the keto works better for me, I should have stuck with this from the beginning... :)
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    LCHF helped me go from being "pre-diabetic" to almost in the normal weight range for guys my height. I'm still pretty blocky, but I don't get winded walking up a flight of stairs anymore.