Where do you run from zombs? and does this effect U IRL?

Options
Outdoors? Indoors? a bit of both?

I've been running outside in fort stevens, but when the rain REALLY gets here (it's a rain forest after all) some of my runs will have to be indoors.

I've started a silly daily Runner 5 run blog at, http://survivalpostcivilization.blogspot.com/ if you follow me I post a photo or two per day. I used to build web sites and write so this is just a lot of fun for me to make.

Has being Runner 5 bled over into your real life?

Replies

• missmylin
    missmylin Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I do a mix of outdoor and indoor. Depends on my mood and the weather. It's getting dark earlier now, so eventually I'm going to be stuck on the treadmill for the winter.

I talk about ZR all the time: on my blog, on facebook, with my boot camp classmates. They're probably all sick and tired of hearing me. But it's such an awesome app that I want everyone to have an opportunity to try it out.

I checked out your blog. Love it!! I subscribed my email so I can follow your adventures.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    YES! I live in northern indiana, in the middle of the corn fields. we walk in the evenings, sometimes as late as 9pm. There is no one around, no houses, just me, hubby and/or daughter and the dog with lots of corn, soy and a lake. When its slightly windly like tonight, the breeze thru the corn is scary as hell as it sounds like something is moving thru the corn. Really gets your heart racing.

We walk by cows that are near the lake, black angus cows. One night we were walking there and a cow moved and scared the pee outa my daughter, we were doing ZR and she screamed and jumped accross me and to the other side of the road. We call them zombie cows now everytime we pass them.

walking on a dark, no moon night is really crazy. We use small flashlights because there's literally no man made light here so if there's no moon, there's no light. Trying to do ZR and use the flashlights to keep an eye on anything/everything around you is difficult and scary. Get two miles away from home, then let your mind wander and think about if there really was a zombiepocolypse and you'll get home fast!

it will be too cold to walk soon so we'll be inside on the treadmill and ill miss zombie walking till spring :(
  • dekutree
    dekutree Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I run outdoors and am loving it! I'm on week 7 of C25K and I feel like the areas I run really are Abel, hah. I deliberately run fairly lonely routes where I only see occasional joggers and dog-walkers, as it's less fun to make-believe if you're just on the high street. I live near a river, so I run in the meadows around here. There is one route I do through a nature reserve that I find quite spooky at the best of times. One time I saw an abandoned backpack hanging from the low branch of a tree and I almost ran over to check for supplies. Also on that route there's like a scrap metal yard or something, so big metal gates with barbed wire on top...

I've recently bought a second-hand DSLR to try and teach myself photography, and I have an idea for a project to go around and take some photos of bits of my running route that look especially zombie apocalypse-ish....
  • dekutree
    Options
    OH and the other day - I think it was Week 6, Session 3 - I was running along the tow path by the river and a BIG TREE had fallen and completely blocked the path. I was being chased by zombies in-game but I wasn't quite brave enough to attempt to hurdle/vault the tree, as there were other people around, haha...

Also when running on a gloomy day in the nature reserve I totally look over my shoulder now and again. Just, y'know, to check.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options

Also when running on a gloomy day in the nature reserve I totally look over my shoulder now and again. Just, y'know, to check.

I check frequently too. LOL It would be ironic if the zombie apocalypse happened while I was out on a Zombies, Run! run and I didn't know it and then there were *real* zombies behind me. Not that I think about that or anything. *whistles*

I have done all of my runs so far outside (I'm in late Season 1). Soon I will be inside at least twice a week because my early AM runs are DARK now. Eventually, winter will chase me inside all week. Oh well.
  • OregonRunner5
    OregonRunner5 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I would love to see photos from your area - sounds like an AWESOME run!! :D
  • dekutree
    Options

Here's the fallen tree:

1235978_10151540050681642_1936897254_n.jpg

full size: http://postimg.org/image/6i3q1yltd/

And the creepy rucksack:

535833_10151485663291642_477641114_n.jpg

full size: http://postimg.org/image/i5hp8a60r/
  • NightingaleBlue
    Options
    On trails (which can be pretty creepy when I imagine zombies behind the trees) and on a track.
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

Here's the fallen tree:

1235978_10151540050681642_1936897254_n.jpg

full size: http://postimg.org/image/6i3q1yltd/

And the creepy rucksack:

535833_10151485663291642_477641114_n.jpg

full size: http://postimg.org/image/i5hp8a60r/

awesome run pics!
  • missmylin
    Options
    7hunters, I am really enjoying your blog! I can't wait to hear what the Commander has up his sleeve.
  • dekutree
    Options
    Today I ended up running to this place for supplies...

IMG_1173.jpg

Full image: http://s17.postimg.org/3k62faefz/IMG_1173.jpg

(PS. If this building was in a zombie apocalypse movie it'd look super cheesy. But this is actually on one of my runs, ha ha!)
  • chelciebrown07
    chelciebrown07 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I run along the trails at the edge of town, and it definitely is hard not to imagine a zombie lurking around every blind turn or think the rustling leaves are one about to hop out and bite me.

Runner 5 has bled into my real life mostly in just how much I talk about the zombie running app to people. To me it's completely amazing, and I can't imagine why no one thought about it before. It's like a fantastic mix of audio book, video game and runtracker. Personally i'm an extremely goal oriented person that loves to check things off a list and have a little something to show for all my effort besides sweat, so this app is pretty much like crack to me. Getting to listen to a fun little story section and have it go green, and then be able to use supplies that I gather if I run further, it makes me want to run another run immediately. I hope they've been making enough of a profit that they will continue on to make a third season, or perhaps venture out into a different themed story that has the same capabilities.
  • missmylin
    Options
    Hey dekutree, this may be a dumb question but how do you put photos into your posts?
  • dekutree
    Options
    Hey dekutree, this may be a dumb question but how do you put photos into your posts?

Not dumb! I had to use a random image hosting site to do it: postimage.org. Gives you a link to post on a forum!
  • missmylin
    Options

Not dumb! I had to use a random image hosting site to do it: postimage.org. Gives you a link to post on a forum!
    Thanks!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    It's funny because the other day I was thinking that it would be incredibly hard to find a place that looks less like a zombie plague hit then the Charles River in Boston (where I do 99% of my runs) then the fog rolled in. It was incredibly creepy this morning on my long run. I could see maybe 15ft in front of me. Not many people were out. The tall buildings were completely invisible and the bridges and ducks I could see looked as if they were suspended in midair. I was with my running partner though, so no zombie mission for me.
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    I have to work too early for morning runs, plus drop a kid off at Kindergarten... but the track on the base where I work would be perfect during the foggy season. Maybe one morning when he has school and I don't work I'll run through some stories. It would be super fun and in the morning there are not likely to be many people.

Missmylin, what boot camp are you going too? A military boot camp or is it a work out group?
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I typically go out on a trail on the edge of town, unless it’s dark, then I run in town. It's pretty nice out there, just lonely enough to add a creepy factor: trees, lakes, a hand full of houses (some of them empty), and often no one else on the trail. I do have a few amusing stories from ZR. Once I was running a mission out there and went too far out (multiple missions, just sort of got into it). It was getting dark by time I turned around and I was a good 45 minutes from where I started. Shoot. Wound up running back to my car, alone, in the dark, which was SUPER creepy! Especially this one part of the trail that's so wooded that the trees form a canopy overhead. Typically that's my favorite part of the trail, but not that night! And just when I was going through there, and being chased by a pack of zombs, I stepped on a stick which must have spun up and hit me in the back of the leg... O_O I never ran so fast in my life!!! Then, just a few minutes later, the moon came out just as I was rounding a corner. I saw something move on the ground right next to me and about jumped out of my skin. Turned out it was my shadow… yes, I was LITERALLY scared by my own shadow.

It was simultaneously the best and worst run out there. When I got home and told my husband about it, he said “you know, you can just shut the app off.” Uh, no I can’t! Then I’m just in the dark by myself thinking of zombies, which doesn’t seem any better to me. I’d rather stay in the game; at least I always manage to live there!

Once I was running in town and paused the game to get a bottle of water. Literally about 3 seconds after resuming the game, Runner 5 collected a bottle of water. It made my day!

Another time I was in town, shortly after I started this app, I was running in the early morning. Just as zombies were detected, I looked up and saw a man stumble out his front door. He was in a robe and had a cigarette in one hand and a coffee cup in another. Poor guy, I’m sure he was just stepping out for his morning smoke, but the combination of the early hour, the zombie warning, and the way he shambled out of his door… I screamed “Oh my God!” turned and bolted off in the other direction. LOL

Last story (for now anyway): I sometimes bike instead of run the app. I just like biking better. So I was biking out on the trail and happened to look over to the side. Sticking halfway out of a culvert, nowhere near any houses, was a perfectly good golf club. Woo hoo, RL mission loot! Brought it home by holding on to it across my bike handles and chuckled the whole way about how I had a nice blunt weapon should I get attacked.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I run in my boring, typical, suburban neighborhood. But I run at 5am, and when it's misty and quiet and none of the houses have lights on it's easy to imagine what it might be like to be sent on a supply run to raid the houses that were left abandoned by the Zombie Apocalypse. Lots of trees and bushes for the undead to hide behind as well. So yeah, any place can be scary if you have an overactive imagination like me. :)
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

Thanks!

haha i might just post some of the pics i have of the 'zombie cows' we run past every night, or the corn fields that are all brown and sound like people walking them them when the wind blows ever so slightly