Anyone get nausea from too much (healthy) fat?

Options
So here's my dilemma. I am trying to become fat adapted. I have been increasing my fat intake since going low carb paleo, and somedays it's totally fine. But days (like today) where I have some bulletproof coffee and a large breakfast (also doing intermittent fasting)- a few hours later I get intense nausea and tummy upset. Also lots of burping. (yuck, sorry) This has happened to me before many times in the past; usually if I have too much coconut oil. Does this happen to anyone else, and is it something that will eventually go away? What should I do? Cut down on the fat a little? Cut out the BP coffee? I hate feeling this way. It literally took about 7 hours for the nausea and yuckiness to go away. No likey. :(

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Fat in general should not be bothering you however there may be some time needed for adjustment if you were eating low fat before... However, you may have trouble with a certain kind of fat, food, or even the coffee. For instance, for some reason I do not digest fish oils. They make me burp and it's gross. The fatty fishes make my child vomit so I suspect it's a real issue for us.

Are you using butter? If so, for a few people, even the small amounts of milk proteins in butter could be an issue.

If you can narrow down what is causing it, then you could eliminate it for awhile.
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have read in a few places, one of them being a source I trust, the Wellness Mama quote:

" If you aren’t regularly taking coconut oil, start with a teaspoon and work up as too much at once might upset your stomach. Coconut oil often increases metabolism and some people notice feeling warmer or like their heart is racing if they start off too fast."

Don't know if this is your issue but I do know that I had to gradually work up to the tablespoon of coconut oil I currently use in my BP Tea. Try a smaller amount, or even try a few days without then re-introduce with lower amounts and see if that helps.
  • lindzmt22
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys!! I haven't been 'low fat' since my SAD days...thank God. That myth has been long debunked. I LOVE fat. It usually makes me feel great and gives me the best energy ever and awesome hunger control. I've been consuming coconut oil in cooking foreverrr though...with no issues. Maybe it is the butter? I use kerrygold pastured butter (the good stuff), but maybe I'll try eliminating each of those things (coffee, butter, coconut oil) and then re-introducing and see what's up. Usually dairy doesn't bother me, but who knows. :/
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    I have always had a problem digesting high amounts of coconut oil if I eat it on it's own.
    I end up in the same situation of having it repeat on me for hours on end.
    Bullet proof coffee can also cause issues of repeating as coffee is acidic and the combination of high fat and acid are not the best for some people.
    I agree with building up the amount of coconut oil you are ingesting.
    Also,maybe it was too soon after the fast to eat a big breakfast.
    I have been fat adapted for a while and have found that since giving up all dairy and coffee,I generally don't have an issue digesting fat
  • GymPoet
    GymPoet Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I had trouble, and almost threw in the towel. Then I read that it can take time for the gallbladder to get used to a high fat diet. A number of herbs apparently can help stimulate the gallbladder. Two I tried were turmeric and ginger, with or after the meal. Worked immediately.
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I had trouble, and almost threw in the towel. Then I read that it can take time for the gallbladder to get used to a high fat diet. A number of herbs apparently can help stimulate the gallbladder. Two I tried were turmeric and ginger, with or after the meal. Worked immediately.

Interesting, I should tell my hubby this. He was trying BPC with me and had a very upset stomach the couple of days we had it. Me, no problem! So, he thinks he can't do the high fat thing.

He has always been very thin and moderate to high cholesterol, so we were hoping this fat burning transition would help him put on some muscle. Since it upset his stomach, he is back to 30/40/30 macros...oh well.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    It might just be the BPC. I've done a lot better with leveling my blood sugar since going off caffeine ( except for very occasional dark chocolate). I love coffee but it doesn't love me.

I used to start the day with a cup or two of tea but in recent years it began to give me that retching morning sickness feeling (which, I found out in my pregnancies was tied to low blood sugar) and I had to give it up. For a few years after that, coffee with half and half or full cream would keep me going some hours but early this year it wasn't working and I'd get those nauseating blood sugar crashes. Guess what I'm trying to say is that your body's reaction to something can change without warning or apparent reason.

Coffee or caffeinated tea for some reason makes me burn through my energy sources at an accelerated rate, leaving me nauseous and shaky in a relatively short time. Full fat additions (I never made BPC but I did, early on, put full cream in the coffee and had a habit of taking a TBS of coconut oil to start the day) didn't make much difference. It's just the way my body seems to react to coffee/tea these days.
  • aliciap412
    aliciap412 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    ugh, I think I've been experiencing similar issues with coffee, especially since my only non paleo exception has been the organic sugar that I'm adding to it.

I know what I need to do is drop the caffeine, I really have to work up to this. the sugar is also the only thing keeping me from doing a whole30 challenge!
  • GymPoet
    GymPoet Posts: 107 Member
    Options

Interesting, I should tell my hubby this. He was trying BPC with me and had a very upset stomach the couple of days we had it. Me, no problem! So, he thinks he can't do the high fat thing.

Oh I hope you tell him--if it is the same issue, it really is just a transition thing. Once the gallbladder kicks in, the issue goes away. It didn't even take a few days, if I recall, but again, I helped it along with ginger in particular. Rubbed it on a grater, added it to water, and pretended it was ginger ale. Worked great. If I didn't have that relief, though, I would've quit, so I can see why he would too.
  • lindzmt22
    Options
    Darn. I actually quit coffee for a couple months and felt great. Just added it back recently. That's probably it....grr. I've been liking how it helps my mood and energy. Lame. :/ Cutting out butter for today to see if that may be the culprit though.
  • aliciap412
    aliciap412 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Darn. I actually quit coffee for a couple months and felt great. Just added it back recently. That's probably it....grr. I've been liking how it helps my mood and energy. Lame. :/ Cutting out butter for today to see if that may be the culprit though.

I'm in the same boat here. I've quit coffee a few times before, and also added it back recently for mood and energy. its a tough thing to quit too! I swear every time that I'm done for good!
  • lindzmt22
    Options
    So...no nausea yesterday with no butter. And no nausea today with no coconut oil. And I had coffee both days. SO...my conclusion is that it is (unfortunately) the combination in the bulletproof coffee. I'm a sad panda. :( Maybe tomorrow I'll give it one last try with only a teaspoon of coconut oil & kerrygold, instead of a tablespoon. *shrugs*