Taking up Space, have you all read it?

Options
kamaperry
kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
I read this book this weekend. I loved it. Totally makes sense. I am wondering about tracking calories. Some people think it is too obsessive. like the scale can be. I don't know, am considering trying without, to break the "diet" mindset, but I want some input.

Replies

• Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    It certainly is doable, BUT I think it s important to li food for some time in order to know how much you eat.
    I ave been logging for over a year and still do, if I change things in my diet or f I eat things I usually don't eat.

I agree it is freeing to not log, but I don't recommend it from the beginning.
    Many who have been on diets for a long time tend to undereat. If I would ave not been logging in the beginning of EM2WL I certainly would not have been eating enough!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I can become the same thing.

For many, if the diet was half-way decent as far as food items, and the weight increased slowly from obviously eating just a tad more, and they just wanted to do some exercise for heart health, wouldn't need to log at all.

Just find 250 calories daily to leave off eating. No need to add up the other stuff, or weigh, or anything.
    Perhaps stop drinking the sugar pop, and don't eat 2 desserts just 1, skip the bag of chips with a sandwich, replace mayo with light, ect.

Then your exercise as something realistic and sustainable would probably add another 250 deficit daily average.

But vast majority go gung-ho, totally change up the diet and start exercising to an incredible level. Both things become unsustainable sooner or later, perhaps after goal weight is reached.
    Now you need some numbers to work with, since your body as a history score card has no bearing on this new level of eating/exercise.
  • kamaperry
    Options
    That is why I am still tracking. I have a history of not eating enough. So this makes sure I do. Thanks for the input!
  • kamaperry
    Options
    It certainly is doable, BUT I think it s important to li food for some time in order to know how much you eat.
    I ave been logging for over a year and still do, if I change things in my diet or f I eat things I usually don't eat.

Many who have been on diets for a long time tend to undereat. If I would ave not been logging in the beginning of EM2WL I certainly would not have been eating enough!
  • kamaperry
    Options

I know I will restrict too much if I don't ttrack for now
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I have totally changed my mind on logging food. It used to feel like a "diet" in a negative way (restrictive). Now, I've just changed the way I think about it. I have to log so I'll be sure to get enough protein and calories, also, if something DOES change about my weight or size, I can have a history of what I've eaten to check with.

I know I need a certain amount of discipline to do what will get me what I want. It works for me and I feel a certain amount of dependence on it for now. :)

I haven't read the book.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I've read the book and I love everything that Amber talks about! She's amazing!!!

I've tried to eat intuitively but ended up not eating enough. So I had to go back to tracking. I tend to get too obsessive about it though and I dread it but it's the only thing that works for me as of now. I can't trust my body's cues just yet, apparently. But it's definitely something I'm striving for because I can't imagine tracking my food for the rest of my life!
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I love Taking Up Space! I still track as well, but it is not an obsessive thing for me. I have days that I don't track and I don't worry about it. I am an over eater so I like to track to keep an eye on that.
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Thanks, I'm still tracking 'cause I know I will either over do and feel out of control, or I will skimp too much. At least until my body is used to this. Thanks for all the anwers! I watched/listened to Amber's webinar last nite, and it was great!