Replies

• Lmaxwell
    Lmaxwell Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 30 day shred.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    So, it seems that I am not he only one trying to figure out how much to eat when you burn a lot of calories via workouts.
    I know I have been running for a couple years now with almost no scale movement (which is why brought me here because I blame no nutrition accountability). Before coming here and the first couple weeks here, I never ate back exercise cals and ate about 1200 a day. After several days or weeks of no loss, I get frustrated and quit and then start all over again. (I never stop running though, I love running)
    On Tuesday of this week, I decided to start to eat back about half of my exercise calories. I am hoping this is the solution to keeping me motivated and start the scale moving. It was after doing research on MFP and elsewhere that I decided to try this approach.

What do you all do - eat back exercise cals? Some? All?

My diary is open to friends if that helps. You'll see the change between Monday and the rest of the week.

Thanks - Jen

I use the TDEE-x% method. This way you eat the same amount every day and do not log exercise. When you plug your numbers in to the equation you account for your activity level. This way you only have to worry about acurate food calories, not accurate food and exercise calories.
  • Runningcircuits
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who replied here and PM. There are obviously plenty of people at MFP who have had success eating to account for the exercise. Since I am not willing to give up my runs because the alternative is a straight jacket and a padded room, I will be eating more!
    Starting today I am going to eat more, try and have as few alcoholic beverages as possible and give it a decent amount of time to start showing movement on the scale before I freak out and cut back eating again. (Please feel free to remind me of this pledge if you read my diary and I am not doing this. I have no problem with getting a good kick in the *kitten*.)

Thanks again!
    -Jen
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be doing couch 25k and Insanity... I'm starting week 3 month one of insanity... anybody else doing insanity??
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Going to be doing a hybrid of Brazilian Butt lift (BBL) and Turbo Jam/Fire (TJ/TF). 30 Day Shred (30 DS) on days that BBL calendar calls for sculpt routine. and Yoga and/or Zumba on my rest day(s). Good luck everyone!!!! :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :wink:
  • kgerm317
    kgerm317 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I started jogging at the beginning of the month and have become rather addicted. I tend to get out for a jog 3-4x a week and want to get back into doing some kettlebell at least 2x a week for strength. I walk just about everyday at lunch as well. :)
  • tdorton
    tdorton Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I go to Curves. There are a great group of ladies where I go, love them to pieces.
  • mentalmunchie
    mentalmunchie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I run 3-4 times a week and lift weights. I used to do Insanity but now I live in a 3rd floor apartment so I don't think my neighbors would appreciate me jumping around and making a ton of noise all the time. I did C25K a couple of years ago and completed Bridge to 10k this summer. I'm hoping that by next year at this time I can run a half marathon.
  • jeslynn24
    jeslynn24 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi y'all! Well I started my workout this week. Cardio 5xs a week and weight training 3xs a week is what the dr ordered. For cardio I'm doing Zumba and the elliptical.
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have just started a new fall routine as follows:

run - 3 times a week
    TRX suspension weight training - 3 times a week
    hot yoga - 2 times a week

Karen
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I do the elip for 60 minutes 3 times a wk and recline bike for 30 ....A
  • Missklara
    Missklara Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    i go on group classes in my gym.
    mostly on pump, step, zumba, cycling and sometimes swimming :)
  • meowlymary
    meowlymary Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I typically ride my bike to the gym, do 30-40 minutes of cardio, and then a couple sets of weights depending on how I feel. I like the classes at the gym too and usually do at least one core class and one yoga class a week. I canceled my membership starting next month though, I figured with the weather getting cooler I can focus on bike riding and jogging.
  • HeatherIsRunning55
    Options
    Hey Guys - I've been doing this toning work out, in the link below, on top of cardio (walking & jogging 3-5 times a week). It's called How to lose 10 lbs in a month... Not going to lie, I was so sore for 3 days after my first work out since it worked muscles I hadn't used in the last 9+ months due to pregnancy. However, once you get past the first work out, it's not too bad and flies pretty quickly :smile:

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/lose-weight/total-body/lose-10-pounds-in-30-days-workout/
  • takerbrat
    takerbrat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    So, it seems that I am not he only one trying to figure out how much to eat when you burn a lot of calories via workouts.
    I know I have been running for a couple years now with almost no scale movement (which is why brought me here because I blame no nutrition accountability). Before coming here and the first couple weeks here, I never ate back exercise cals and ate about 1200 a day. After several days or weeks of no loss, I get frustrated and quit and then start all over again. (I never stop running though, I love running)
    On Tuesday of this week, I decided to start to eat back about half of my exercise calories. I am hoping this is the solution to keeping me motivated and start the scale moving. It was after doing research on MFP and elsewhere that I decided to try this approach.

What do you all do - eat back exercise cals? Some? All?

My diary is open to friends if that helps. You'll see the change between Monday and the rest of the week.

Thanks - Jen

Jen - I don't "eat back" calories. My son is a personal trainer and he has developed my program based on my fitness level and my fitness goals. He has set specific grams of carbs, fat and protein. He monitors this weekly and either adjusts my food levels (which he rarely does) or my number of resistance training sessions or my number of cardio sessions (High Intensity Interval Training). A note on cardio - he is from the less is more school of thought. I do one moderate cardio session a week, like ride my bike at a good clip for more than 30 minutes, and I do 2 HIIT sessions which consist of me running as fast as I can for 30 seconds and resting for 60 seconds. I repeat the cycle 8 times. I had a guest blogger post about the difference between counting calories and tracking macronutrients, you might find it interesting - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/takerbrat/view/to-count-calories-or-not-to-count-calories-that-is-the-question-553891
    Terri
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Right now I am lifting weights 3 times a week and cardio 3 times a week with either a DVD or walking or biking.
    I like variety in my exercise so I don't get bored. I also have been doing Pilates since last April on the
    Reformer.
  • stryla
    stryla Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I find that I havent been able to keep up with an "exercise routine" without being in pain and giving up after a week. Right now Im walking at least 3 miles or 30 minutes a day. I add in a 10 minute exercise video when I feel up to it. Using walking as my main form of exercise, ive kept it up every day for over a month now. Im going with the mind set of consistency is better than sporadic effort. I started at 5 minutes a day, and now im usually walking 45 minutes a day. I also have a sit up, and lunges app that I am trying to follow.
  • Sapphire1812
    Sapphire1812 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have recently rediscovered the wonders of cycling. Hubby and I bought mountain bikes back in April, so we've been trying to get out as often as we can. Aiming for 2-3 times a week at the moment... about 11-15 miles each time out.

I've been recording my bike rides in the free mobile app MapMyRide which has GPS tracking, details of split times for miles / km, hill elevations. I've found it great for showing me what I've accomplished, each time I cycle and seeing that, it's actually been encouraging me to want to do more.

See: http://www.mapmyride.com/app/

There are a whole host of them... MapMyWalk, MapMyFitness etc. So if you're looking for something to track your workouts in, you might find them useful too.

Also going to try and do some weight training and ab exercises. I've got a few DVD's to help me... lol, so no excuses... just got to get back in the habit of doing them.
  • cymweekly
    Options
    5x a week, I do what the Army tells me. Usually no less than 2-3x 3 mile runs, minimum. and 2-3x 'muscle failure' involves pushups situps and numerous other activities.

Aside from this I usually work out about 6 times a week. I lift for about an hour at lunch, along with some running or cycling.

But wait!!! theres more!!!

On top of this if I am training for a triathlon (OLY or Half-IM) I do more cardio on top of all that. usually bumping my workouts down to 1-2 a week, and the other 4-5 days are swimming, cycling or running.

Always keep track of what you do, and make sure you listen to your body. I didn't do either last year and destroyed my race season.