uh oh--did I get this wrong?

Options
So I thought that saturated fats were ok too..but this dude is saying to stay away from cheese! I've been eating quite a lot of cream cheese/quark/feta lately but now scared I got this wrong! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGn03461rR0

Replies

• Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I'm not watching the video but anyone who says saturated fats are bad doesn't know what they are talking about. Which, unfortunately, is most people. Read The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Phinney and Volek. Saturated fats are a preferred fuel source for our bodies when they aren't being fed carby junk. If the video has a problem with dairy specifically, I think they are wrong about that too. :) But I only eat high fat dairy, I avoid regular milk as it has too much sugar (lactose).
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    You're not "doing it wrong". Eat all the dairy you like, I surely do. BUT remember that dairy may hinder weight loss for some , mess with your skin & isn't exactly the cleanest food ( as it is processed). Always get full fat (organic, raw if possible) & like Mistizoom said stay away from milk, it's 12 carbs per 8oz.
  • BryonyKate
    BryonyKate Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    thanks for the responses!! so what would high-fat dairy include? is this liek full fat cream and full fat butter? what about cream cheese and quark? or feta/mozerella? sorry for all the questions!!
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    thanks for the responses!! so what would high-fat dairy include? is this liek full fat cream and full fat butter? what about cream cheese and quark? or feta/mozerella? sorry for all the questions!!

I eat heavy whipping cream, butter, cheeses including all those you mentioned (except for quark - gotta try it though), and cottage cheese (as long as it has 3 g carbs/per 0.5 cups or less). Just check labels - softer cheeses and cream cheese tend to have more carbs, so moderate your portions if needed to fit in your daily goals. HWC also is highly caloric so I don't eat tons of that. I eat full-fat plain yogurt sparingly and occasionally only, as it likely has higher carbs as well (though there is some debate as to whether yogurt labels are correct, as the bacteria eat some of the lactose, and carb counts may be lower than what is on the label).
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Low Carb has many variations. South Beach, Atkins, Keto are just a few. Based on the program you are following, you should read up on what the "rules" and guidelines are. Lots of resources on the web that provide details and guidelines for each program, although many also have published books.

I follow keto. This FAQ is very helpful for keto (it also aligns pretty well with Atkins induction).
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

This calculator is also helpful for determining the settings here in MFP for Protein, Carbs, and Fat.
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

When I'm not sure if a food "fits", I enter it into MFP and see what the macros are. How much fat, protein and carbs does it have? Then I make the decision on whether it works for what I'm trying to eat.

So a fun exercise... enter into MFP 1 cup of Milk (do skim, 2%, whole milk); 1 cup of half and half; 1 cup Light Cream; 1 cup Heavy Cream; 1 cup butter? Which one best fits the goals of a Low Carb - High Fat lifestyle? Then enter in your cheeses and compare them. Which one is the best choice? (I truly don't know on the cheese - I don't eat much of feta or quark - but I'm not the one eating it, so I don't have to know).

You have to get used to looking up the nutrition info for the foods that you want to buy and eat. Many of us check menus at restaurants before going, and enter meals into MFP before we go out to eat. That way we can plan accordingly.

The Keto FAQ is a great resource, and will answer 90% of your questions.