Thoughts on shirataki noodles?

Options
Jasmine_James
Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
I just finished reading "Good Calories, Bad Calories" and now I'm reading the "Fat Fast Cookbook." I haven't heard of any amazing results from a fat fast on MFP, so not sure I'll do one -- but I am enjoying the recipe ideas. They mention shirataki noodles as the only low-carb, keto-safe noodle out there. I haven't had noodles in while.

Has anyone tried these? How did they taste?

Replies

• Jasmine_James
    Options
    FWIW, I *have* read other MFP threads on these noodles -- but just wanted to hear from my keto peeps...
  • KristysGonnaGetFit
    KristysGonnaGetFit Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have not purchased/cooked them myself but I do use them when I eat at our Mongolian Grill since I no longer eat the trad'l noodles or rice, I use the Shirataki noodles as the base and then loan with meat/veggies/oils.

Alone they don't seem to really have a specific taste, but when cooked with the veg & oil, they were delicious! I can't tell that they aren't "real" noodles when prepared this way.

They are on my list to get the next time I see them at the store.

Interested to hear about others and the best way to cook at home.
  • Golightly17
    Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I got really excited about these because they sort of resemble spaghetti pasta. Unfortunately, they smell really fishy and have a sort of gelatinous texture, icky.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Not a huge fan of soy products... But they are Keto friendly. I rather make my own keto noodles.
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I did what I'd consider a successful Fat Fast in February and blogged about it....

Read about my first FAT FAST experience (Lost 6.4 pounds, 2.75", and 0.6 BMI points in 5 days):
    Overview: http://alturl.com/9hm8d
    Day #1: http://alturl.com/ho8tr
    Day #2: http://alturl.com/6ug5s
    Day #3: http://alturl.com/5nf93
    Day #4: http://alturl.com/dvn4k

I've found that if I follow Dana's instructions on cooking the noodles (multiple times in the microwave and straining) it eliminates the fishy smell, and tastes good mixed with other things such as sauce and/or veggies and butter.
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    love love love them. I have NOT tried the ones with tofu. I don't like tofu, but I purchased a bag at Krogers--haven't been brave enough to try yet.

I love the ones bought online from Miracle Noodle. I get the spinach angel hair ones. They don't smell as strong. However, just rinse well (even with regular ones). Then dry-fry in a pan...meaning rinse well, drain, pat with paper towels, the put in a lower than medium heated pan and keep stirring. If they start shrinking up, get them off the fire. This eliminates all the extra water that will dilute your sauces. You don't need to cook them---just dry them out. Add whatever sauce you are using, heat for a short time and VOILA---great noodle dishes with no carbs or gluten.

The rice is cool too. Not shaped like rice, but tiny little balls (like peas but smaller). It is a nice alternative to rice.

All do not really have a taste of their own. So they don't mess up your sauce! I love spagetti sauce or alfredo. Also good with an Asian stir fry and a little hot sauce mixed with a sugar-free sweet/sour sauce. Yum. I keep these on hand and my family eats wheat noodles--I am not deprived.

Don't let the smell get to you. It goes away. Also, they are a little chewier than regular pasta, but the texture is fine to me. I hated spagetti squash when I tried it. Just 'felt like' cabbage in my mouth, not noodles. These feel like rice noodles.

Correction the spinach ones have 2 carbs. No problem here!
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Tried them. Hated them. Threw them away. Blech.
  • Jasmine_James
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I tried Pasta Zero last night mixed with lots of grass-fed butter and some cheese. It really hit the spot. For me, one of my biggest non-keto temptations is mac n' cheese -- this wasn't nearly as good as the real thing, but also took care of the craving without doing too much damage/kicking me out of ketosis. I also got a bag of Miracle Noodles, so will give those a shot too...
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    taste like calamari.

seriously. If you get some hoods, slice them up and wash them real good then cook them up it's exactly the same as the noodles.

the noodles are just pure yam fiber, but they need rinsing and cleaning to remove the fishy smell or they will taste and continue to smell even with seasonings.

I perfer sliced organic zucchinni or spagetti squash or calamari over the shirataki noodles!
  • getyourbeans
    getyourbeans Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I probably go on overkill when preparing my noodles, but think that comes from a couple of bad experiences when first trying them out! I rinse them really, really well then leave them to soak in water with a splash of white vinegar for 10 minutes. Rinse again, then boil them in stock (beef, chicken or veg - depending on the dish I'll use them in) I then drain and dry fry for a few minutes. It looks more time intensive than it really is and there's no "questionable" taste when you're eating them.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I got really excited about these because they sort of resemble spaghetti pasta. Unfortunately, they smell really fishy and have a sort of gelatinous texture, icky.

ditto
  • TheNewJFR
    TheNewJFR Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The tofu ones are ok. I recommend cutting them into one inch pieces. RINSE them for 3-5 minutes. If you dry fry them for a bit the texture firms a bit.

I have done a fat fast mac and cheese with them adding an ounce of sharp cheddar, a T of butter, and a T of heavy cream. The texture is a bit chewy & poppy (like spaghetti squash). The thicker noodles are not something I like...too odd a texture. The angel hair kind of fused together. So of all the tofu shiritaki noodles, the spaghetti ones were the best for me.

I have yet to try the miracle needles with no calories or carbs...but I have a friend who swears by the rice type. Says it is like orzo as far as texture.

Good luck. If you can get used to the "not quite a noodle" texture, they are pretty great.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Definitely worth a try!! But like the other posters said, make sure you rinse them well and then pan-fry them to dry them out a bit. I use them for stir-fry, veggies, shrimp, a little soy sauce. I've also used them for "spaghetti" and meatballs. Oh so good!! I'll have to try the "mac and cheese" suggestion above!
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I bought some of the Eat Water Slim Fettuccine. It was OK but I think I'll stick with courgette 'noodles' in the future...cheaper, about the same texture and more natural :-))
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Not a huge fan of soy products... But they are Keto friendly. I rather make my own keto noodles.

The ones I buy do not contain soy but some do. You have to look for ones made of konjac root/glucomannan only. I use Miracle Noodles or Miracle Rice. Frankly they don't taste like anything but they do absorb flavors from other ingredients fairly well.
  • i like them a lot! i maybe only eat them twice a month though as a treat.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I buy something similar to this:

http://www.21food.com/product/search_keys-konjac+noodles-p1.html

They are like lil bundles of konjac noodles. Like one of the users mentioned above, they taste like whatever you cook it with. So if you sautee it with some meat and oil it would just taste like that. For me it's a way of making me feel fuller without much carbs / cals.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    They did not work for me or my husband. One bite, and they went into the trash.
  • chirosche
    chirosche Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I wasted this beautiful sauce I'd made on them. They were so nasty. I almost threw up. When I saw the rest of them I immediately threw them in the trash. You can rinse the smell off of them successfully. I followed Dana Carpender's Fat Fast directions for cooking them. It is the texture that is horrible. It's hard to describe. They have the texture of what I would imagine a sea creatures tentacles to taste like. Not like calimari which is good. Like some sea creature you never had uncooked. To chew them is difficult because the texture is rubbery. Oh yuck I don't even like remembering it.
  • Twylashea
    Twylashea Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was so excited for them but unfortunately the texture was unsavoury to me.

I am particularly missing poutine. I have a low carb gravy and of course cheese curds, but what to put them on?