First ocean swim of the season

Options
Dory_42
Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
I live in the Southern Hemisphere so summer is just around the corner. I like to swim in the sea before work and only joined gym to use the pool in winter as I get too cold and it is dark when I want to swim then.

Just wanted to share how excited I am to be back in the big blue!

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    lucky you, swimming is done here.
    it will be minus 40 and snow soon.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    That is very exciting and I am jealous!

Love your profile pic too. :)
  • SwimtotheEnd
    SwimtotheEnd Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Just to brag a smidgen. I'm from down under and I swam right through winter. Got down to 12C (53F) which was nasty.

Love the ocean.

See the forum subject Open Water Swimmers versus Soft Poolies for a laugh
  • maggiewithfins
    maggiewithfins Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Just to brag a smidgen. I'm from down under and I swam right through winter. Got down to 12C (53F) which was nasty.

Love the ocean.

You're so hard core!
  • zerryz
    zerryz Posts: 168 Member
    Options

Love the ocean.

Show off. Big time.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Enjoy.

One of my brothers spent about 5 years in OZ. Mostly in Cairns, Queensland, so his "winter" was not actually cold. He got hooked on kayaking down there. He had some of the most interesting patients as a veterinarian down under. The most fascinating being a 10' coastal Tiapan.
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options

I just had a look at the thread. While I'm a soft poolie through and through, I had to laugh at a few of those. I'm way too scared of swimming without a very close lifeguard to do the open water thing exclusively, and right now, I live in the middle of the U.S. But as an occasional surfer/visitor to the beach, I can relate to some of those.
  • Dory_42
    Options
    Enjoy.

One of my brothers spent about 5 years in OZ. Mostly in Cairns, Queensland, so his "winter" was not actually cold. He got hooked on kayaking down there. He had some of the most interesting patients as a veterinarian down under. The most fascinating being a 10' coastal Tiapan.

Not sure I would be keen to work with a Taipan, injured or not, despite the fact that I manage a Snake Park and play with snakes all day long.
  • Dory_42
    Options
    That is very exciting and I am jealous!

Love your profile pic too. :)

Thanks, that is at work with my favourite of the animals I care for. Someone else looks after the dinos, as they tend to cause problems I can't deal with...
  • Dory_42
    Options

Love the ocean.

You are welcome to be hard core. I tried, but I go straight to work after swimming and with no hot shower option, spent all day shivering!
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Ok- I have to admit I read southern NEW HAMPSHIRE not southern Hemisphere the first time and I was like WTF all the leaves are coming off the trees and it is COLD to be in the ocean. then I felt dumb when I re-read it. Hahaha.... Congrats on your ocean swim!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Enjoy.

Not sure I would be keen to work with a Taipan, injured or not, despite the fact that I manage a Snake Park and play with snakes all day long.

So far this was the only spinal repair ever done on a snake. He presented this at a zoology conference last year in California.. He definitely had to be sure the snake was knocked out to do this.
    You can see pictures of the surgery here.
    http://www.taipansurgery.blogspot.com/
  • Dory_42
    Options
    Wow,that is awesome! Will definitely share it with my vet.