Box Jumps - Does the Fear Every Go Away?

Options
2»

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Get some soccer shin pads. The bang will still hurt a bit but at least it won't break skin.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I shinned myself pretty bad and it has taken well over 2 months for the wound to heal.

I still get a little 'block' from time to time.

I went and got some slip-in soccer shin guards. You can get them at ****'s for like $10. I got them mainly to protect my wound during box jumps and deadlifts. It's amazing how much of the hesitation is removed when you know you are armor-plated LOL.

The question you have to ask yourself is "What am I afraid of?" Falling? Jumping? Shinning myself? All of the above? You define what the issue is then work to resolve the issue. Afraid of falling? Use a shorter target. Afraid of jumping? Do step-ups.

You have to build your confidence, but the worst thing you can do is to avoid them.

OK seriously? The shortened version of Richard is blocked?
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I was stuck on 12" for 2 months. Then I simply spent an hour practicing and working my way up by adding plates and having a crash mat on the other side.

Practice!!
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Today is my boot camp do, so no CF. I do know today's WOD must have involved box jumps because I saw a bloody shin picture on Facebook. If I ever actually miss, I may never jump again. :noway:
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    I've never really been afraid of box jumps, I actually love them I do 30 inch box jumps all the for the wod instead of 24 and even when I've almost eaten it, I still just jump back up there
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    For the first couple of years I had no issues with them. We jumped on tires so there was no fear of splitting my shin wide open or anything of that sort and I got up to 36" and wanted to go higher. well. Then my coach made his own boxes and even rounded the corners. Well, genius me was demonstrating to some friends what a box jump was outside of the gym onto a ledge and not a box or tire. I split my shin wide open and have never been the same since. I had a gash about 1.5" long and almost 3/4" wide. Could see the fatty tissue and seriously bruised the bone. That was almost a year ago and I still have not regained the confidence I used to have in my box jumps.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I seriously need to stop reading this thread, but it's like a train wreck!! lol!

This gal will be steppin' up for a very long while!!