Feeling Weak

Options
Kate029
Kate029 Posts: 32 Member
Hi All

I have been doing Keto for about 3 weeks now. I don't really think I got the whole carb flu thing, and I haven't had any major cravings and my weight has been dropping which is great. But I am finding that I am feeling weaker at the gym - I can't do as many push ups, can't lift as much etc.

Did anyone else experiance this when they first started Keto? Is it something that your body will adpat to in time and I will gain my strength back?

I do find that my cardio does seem to be getting better but my strength seems to be decreasing.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Also am looking for Keto friends so if you want to add me please do.

Thanks
Kate :)

Replies

• SASSYGIRLY30
    SASSYGIRLY30 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I took a few days off from the gym so my body can adjust this week, I started on Monday. I would like to hear the answers to this so I know for next week when I go back!!

Good luck :)
  • Twylashea
    Twylashea Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've read quite a few articles that express that you will feel weakness as your body is becoming keto-adapted. There is a really interesting one from a marathon runner, (sorry I cannot remember where I saw it). She had indicated that after starting LCHF diet her times become horrible. Then when her body had become keto-adapted, her times were better than ever.

I can also say, while my husband isn't following a Keto diet, he has started to limit his carbs substantially and has complained that he isn't performing as well during weight days.

I'm sure it will turn around soon.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    It can take 4-8 weeks of low carb eating to become keto-adapted, so your body is still likely adjusting. Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids and eating plenty of sodium (3000-5000 mg/day). Also magnesium supplementation is important. Also if you are feeling fatigued back off on intense exercises for a bit until you feel better.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Without carbs for "quick energy" you don't have what i call *burst strength*. My ability to sprint/squat my bodyweight/whatever went away in ketosis.

However, I can lift for longer, run for longer. I have a lot more stamina.
  • VanCityFit
    VanCityFit Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    From previous experience I got much stronger and had much more endurance after a few months on a Keto diet. Just allow your body some time to adapt. I'm just getting back on the Keto wagon and back in the gym, my strength has decreased significantly as well as my cardio endurance but I'm still burning a lot of calories.
  • Kate029
    Kate029 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I have to say I am feeling a lot better this week, starting to get some stamina and can lift nearly what I was at before starting Keto.

I think I am past the starting point now cause I am feeling wayyyyyyyyyyyyy better a lot less tired as well, and feeling awesome after smashing it out at the gym tonight :D
  • VanCityFit
    VanCityFit Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I have to say I am feeling a lot better this week, starting to get some stamina and can lift nearly what I was at before starting Keto.

I think I am past the starting point now cause I am feeling wayyyyyyyyyyyyy better a lot less tired as well, and feeling awesome after smashing it out at the gym tonight :D

Fantastic news I'm glad to hear you a doing better!