Week 5 Weigh In 9/13 - 9/19

Options
aefallis
aefallis Posts: 169 Member
Sad to see so few posts already :( Starting this thread to put our weekly weigh in, accomplishments, goals, and whatever else you may want to discuss. Lets get this challenge going. Ok its already going but lets get it more active!! :)

Here's the link to the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag7my0XCi1eBdG4yM3c0QmFpcDJjQ2twSjBXMDR2a2c&usp=sharing

I alphabetized and moved those who haven't weighed in since the initial weigh in to inactive.

Replies

• aefallis
    Options
    How is everyone else doing?

I haven't been very good with MFP since February. Started back up Tuesday and have been doing great! Let's just hope the weekend doesn't send me in a spiral again. That seems to be the trend. I'm feeling very motivated and excited though so I know I can do great! I started running also. I've never been a runner but it's been fun. Wow! Never thought I'd say that. lol!
  • excitedaboutfitness
    Options
    I am still stoked for this challenge! :-)

I had a week and a half where I was sick *and* stuck on benadryl for an allergic reaction, so that period of time wasn't super productive.

Since then though, things have gotten better! I signed up for the Biggest Loser competition at my gym, which starts October 3rd, so that should give me an added boost to the last month of this challenge!

I'm down 5.8 pounds so far, and I would really like to get another 12.8 down by Halloween.

I've started adding strength training with a personal trainer into the mix, so I am curious to see what kind of muscle gains I might end up with. I wouldn't mind putting some muscle on! She has one of those fancy electronic body fat % measurement devices, so we can end up with a pretty accurate idea of how many lbs of muscle I put on.
  • aefallis
    Options
    Sorry you were sick for over a week. We've been fighting colds and the stomach bug around here for awhile. Not fun! Hope your biggest loser challenge goes well. You'll have to keep us updated!

Great job also on losing 5.8 already!
  • aefallis
    Options
    Weigh in for me today. Was 203.4 last week and now 199.2. Wish I could say its a great loss but my starting weight was less that that. I'll take it though! Feeling so much more motivated than I was!
  • bch97223
    Options
    I am stuck! As of 09/04, I have had not a drop of alcohol (I am a wine drinker), which I thought would help the weight just melt off, but that's not happening. Last week I wasn't as active as I should have been, but I have been tracking what I eat, and have been eating well (now that the damn bag of Kettle chips my daughter wanted is gone). Twenty pounds by Halloween now seems overly optimistic, but I am not giving up.

My 16 year old daughter, who is the same height I was at that age, just got her driver's license. I noticed she lists her weight as 115 - she now wears size 0 or 2 jeans. When I was 18, I remember weighing 120, and wore size ten (and thought of myself as overweight). Are the sizes that different now?

Any ideas/inspiration you can share will be appreciated.
  • aefallis
    Options
    I am stuck! As of 09/04, I have had not a drop of alcohol (I am a wine drinker), which I thought would help the weight just melt off, but that's not happening. Last week I wasn't as active as I should have been, but I have been tracking what I eat, and have been eating well (now that the damn bag of Kettle chips my daughter wanted is gone). Twenty pounds by Halloween now seems overly optimistic, but I am not giving up.

My 16 year old daughter, who is the same height I was at that age, just got her driver's license. I noticed she lists her weight as 115 - she now wears size 0 or 2 jeans. When I was 18, I remember weighing 120, and wore size ten (and thought of myself as overweight). Are the sizes that different now?

Any ideas/inspiration you can share will be appreciated.

Sorry you're having a hard time. I would definitely look up tdee (total daily energy expenditure) and bmr. Maybe you are not eating enough. Google a calculator for both and don't just rely on what mfp tells you. A good tdee calc is: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ use the "activity level" method. You should be eating over bmr and under tdee. A good spot is tdee minus 20%.

Not sure if pants size has changed. I think it depends on brand, body type, etc. When I was 18 I was 125 and size 2 to 4. My little sister is about 115 and in a size 6 to 8. Even now I hear women say they are in a smaller size than I can wear but weight the same. Its very frustrating. So weird though with how it varies from person to person!
  • HalloweenGirl7
    HalloweenGirl7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Been sick over here too.
    I have a cold and also Silent Reflux which has caused a lump in my throat (inflammed/burnt vocal cord).
    So, I cannot eat 3 hrs before bed.
    I have actually lost weight from doing that!
    Lol
    So, I am hoping with the addition to some exercise since I am starting to get over my cold now will result in further weight loss and some nice toning of muscles.
    I am also going to be doing the Leslie Sansone Slimmer By Thanksgiving Challenge which starts Oct. 3rd.
    It is free and it will help with this Halloween Challenge too!
    Sometimes I make my own version of her challenges since they are too hard for me.
    Just an FYI if you like to do the toning and walking dvd's.
    So, lets see if I can stay away from the Candy Corn for awhile longer! Lol
    Having a Halloween Party helps cuz I want to look a little better in my costume since I am the Hostess!
    Nice to hear from you guys!!
    DON'T GIVE UP even if your initial goals aren't happening as fast as you'd like they WILL happen if you keep it up!!!
  • WickedStitch
    WickedStitch Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    So far so good! :) Could be better, but it could also be much worse. ;) Last week was slow going due to TOM, this week I just feel drained. Spent Saturday night in the ER with my son. He wiped out on friend's dirt bike, of which I had no clue that's what they were doing. After xrays and CT scan, Dr came to diagnose 'concussion'. Monday follow up with his regular Dr and since no trauma indicated in hospital scans and no physical injuries, no bumps, scrape or bruises, only sore neck muscles, he diagnosed 'whiplash'. Needless to say this took a lot out of me, plus I had the fun of emailing husband who is away about this incident. :/ Good times! I have been sleeping a lot, so little to no activity. I aim to change that this week!

aefallis- Good to see the inactive members moved to another sheet. It has definitely tidied up the spreadsheet. Congrats on your loss! I am still waiting to get under that 200 mark *sigh*.

excitedaboutf- Bummer about being sick. That can totally throw a big ol monkey wrench into the weight loss game! Here's to feeling better and losing more!

bch97223- sizes have absolutely changed. It's due to 'vanity sizing' or 'size inflation'. It's insane. In an article I read,
    "FEELING smug, because you still buy the same size clothes as 20 or more years ago? The truth may be rather uglier, thanks to "size inflation": clothes with the same size label have become steadily larger over time. Measurements vary a bit by brand, but research by The Economist finds that the average British size-14 pair of women's trousers is today more than four inches wider at the waist than a size 14 in the 1970s, and over three inches wider at the hips. This means that today's size 14 fits like a former size 18; a size 10 fits like an old size 14. The same "downsizing" has also happened in America where, to confuse matters further, a size 10 is equivalent to a British size 12 or 14, depending on the brand. As the average person's weight has risen over the years, fashion firms have increased the measurements of their garments, partly in the belief that women feel better (and so are more likely to buy) if they can squeeze into their old size." http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2127189/Womens-trousers-grown-inches-past-40-years.html or http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2012/04/daily-chart-1 or http://www.vanitysizing.com/archive/interview-why-have-retailers-changed-clothing-sizes/

halloweengirl- You're sick too? Here's to feeling better and that your vocal cord heals rapidly.
  • aefallis
    Options
    Hi all,
    Been sick over here too.
    I have a cold and also Silent Reflux which has caused a lump in my throat (inflammed/burnt vocal cord).
    So, I cannot eat 3 hrs before bed.
    I have actually lost weight from doing that!
    Lol
    So, I am hoping with the addition to some exercise since I am starting to get over my cold now will result in further weight loss and some nice toning of muscles.
    I am also going to be doing the Leslie Sansone Slimmer By Thanksgiving Challenge which starts Oct. 3rd.
    It is free and it will help with this Halloween Challenge too!
    Sometimes I make my own version of her challenges since they are too hard for me.
    Just an FYI if you like to do the toning and walking dvd's.
    So, lets see if I can stay away from the Candy Corn for awhile longer! Lol
    Having a Halloween Party helps cuz I want to look a little better in my costume since I am the Hostess!
    Nice to hear from you guys!!
    DON'T GIVE UP even if your initial goals aren't happening as fast as you'd like they WILL happen if you keep it up!!!

Ouch! Hope it heals quickly. Yay for the weight loss though!
  • aefallis
    Options
    WickedStitch - Ugh TOM! Sigh I get to deal with that starting today or tomorrow. Sorry about the er trip. Kids. Gotta love them.