senior citizens lsupporting others in weight loss

Options
THIS IS my first week on myfitnesspal.com. I've began walking and watching my diet. I have had heart problems in the past and its time for me to start taking THIS weight problem serious. It's not easy but I'm taking it one day at a time. Walking a half mile each day.

Replies

• UncleKennyinPNS
    Options
    I retired two years ago and started adding un-needed pounds. I am in good health but found my BMI indicated I was OBESE!! Imagine that. I have found two other resouces helpful - a book recommended by my doctor: "Eat This, Not That". There are different versions of the book that address restaurants, groceries, etc. Another resource that helps me is Leslie Sansone's walking videos. Thet are now available on YouTube and allow you to walk in the comfort of your home. I've been on MNP fopr a little over a week and have had great success.
  • Gran315
    Gran315 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It's a last ditch attempt for me to lose some of this flab. At over 312lbs and 77 years old, I'm beginning to think of the potential damage I could do to the undertaker!!! I have never been slim, the lightest I can remember being was 190lbs when I was 18., despite being very active.
    I had a minor heart attack last year and also had a pacemaker fitted soon after, but my mobility is very limited, so exercise is non existent at the moment.
    Anyway, after several "hiccups" on here, I'm trying to settle back into tracking my food, it certainly helps me to realise where I go wrong. I'm a comfort eater, so that is my biggest battle, followed by lethargy in meal planning.
    There is a particular event I want to go to next October, so I've decided that is going to be my goal ..... If I can manage just one pound a week, that would be 55lbs and would hopefully improve my mobility and consequently, my enjoyment of the event.
    I must keep motivated, so wish me luck please.
  • greattimes
    greattimes Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am 61 years old and have now been losing weight and exercising for a year. I have lost a total of 72 lbs. I no longer take any medication and I am healthier for it. I still work full time waiting tables at a Chinese restaurant. My husband has had a lot of health problems so I decided I needed to be here to take care of him. Now I am doing it for myself. I exercise almost everyday walking riding a bike and lifting weights. I have now included aerobics and floor exercises and I enjoy it. I went from a small size 20 to a comfortable size 8. I know that my diet and exercise plan isn't for everyone but it has worked for me. It is all a matter of what works best for you. Don't let people tell you at our age we can't loose weight and be in shape. You can if you want it bad enough.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am 61 and been here for a long while.Great support and inspiring accomplishments abound. Feel free to add me if you have an open food diary and want to give and receive support!/Cindy
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    I agree with unclekenny. Leslie Sansone is great. I do the 5 mile walk most mornings. All free on youtube. Great exercise especially if the weather is not very nice for getting outside
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I will be 62 on September 30th. I have been on MFP since 3/12/12.
    I lost over 90 pounds before I began to exercise at all. Beginning to exercise at all, began through the encouragement of another MFP friend and my daughter. My knees were terrible. Over the past year I have progressed to being able to walk up and down the hills of our property for two hours at a time on week ends and work out in the gym at work M-F. Who knew this was possible a year ago? I would never have believed it. I still want to lose about 5 or 10 more pounds.

I think most of us over 60's can do this. Best of luck to everyone!
    Thanks for starting this group.
  • Rocky525
    Options
    It is so nice to see the over 60 group. New to MFP just started a few days ago and having a rocky start. I am 63 with double knee replacement, have started a program at the Y and have been everyday this week after work. Keeping my fingers crossed that I stick with it this time.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    Just want to say to ktsmom, fantastic weight loss. Amazing amount of weight gone. Well done you. I think I would like to lose another 8 lbs. They are really stubborn pounds and do not seem to want to leave me. Ah well. Keep trying
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    HI, my name is Deb, :flowerforyou: and PROUD to join this Sassy Senior group :happy: HAPPY that there is a supporting group for us now (big smile)...I've been on MFP since Dec 2011 and very active. I DID drop off last February after getting to my HS weight. I've always been Skinny Fat (a term newly discovered)...but because of genetics, and the way I ate, I experienced a Heart Attack in 2009. I PROMISED myself, it would never reoccur!! When I reached my goal, I was pleasantly surprised that I was not emaciated, but full of energy, and HAPPY to take care of my very young grandchildren. They were a gift that I thought would never happen, but, DD found the right partner, and her family fills me with joy.

I am happy to see everyone's story, and I DEFINITELY cheer you all for your efforts to get and stay HEALTHY to live out our Golden years as healthy. I want to live into my 90's (not in my genes, so I have to take care of myself to see that it happens) and be as healthy as possible to see my grandkids become healthy adults.

Take care...SUCH a TRUE STATEMENT for us :):) :drinker:
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Had some time this lovely Friday morning so wanted to do some commenting to my "new friends here"

carterbon - THANK YOU for organizing this group...I *love* the name of our group...SASSY SENIORS...(big smile)...I am a YOUNG 62...but around my grandchildren...I *do* feel like a Nanang...(Filipino for grandmother), and I am having FUN :laugh:

Uncle Kenny - I have that book "Eat this Not That"...not that I follow the directions many times...but, more than ever, I know WHAT from what to stay away! Isn't it soo easy to put on the pounds just "eating"? Amazing!! Glad you are here and in good health :drinker:

Gran315 - YOU CAN DO IT! One lb at a time. Losing is NEVER easy, but, with our health at STAKE...staying away from certain foods, and getting up the next morning to CLAIM VICTORY, feels soooo great! We are here to cheer you on :drinker: :happy: You must have great genetics to only have had a minor heart attack at 76...Wow...mine was at 59...and I was at the gym working out! Glad you are here, too... :drinker:

greattimes - WOW...CONGRATS on losing 72 lbs...I sooo respect you for that...as it is DIFFICULT to lose 10 lbs for me...We are about the same size...but, I never had to lose that much...soo I can see why your handle "GREATTIMES"...What encouragement you will be here :flowerforyou:

IWTBFCIN3 - lol...I had to memorize your handle to write it here...(thanks for the exercise)...Wishing you good sailing through your cateract surgery soon...one of my best friends (age 65) will also be going through it. I am seeing this sparks of light in my left eye...so I need to check it out. That is unusual for me...and I need to check every single oddity regarding my health these days... Thanks for being here :happy: :drinker:

2essie- CONGRATS on your physical activity...YUP...that is what keeps us young...is activity. Even for those of us who are making determinations who are just starting...it is ADMIRABLE to do something about our health...it is NEVER too late, until the last moment...We are on MFP...so obviously we CARE about our health and fitness :happy:

ktsmom430 - WOW...you lost 90 lbs BEFORE even exercising!! That is soooo AWESOME! We are SUCH an collections of grrreat experiences for others who find us!! Grrreat job! :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Rocky525 - Congratulations on having those knee replacements...and working out at the Y now. You can keep your goals by DOING...and checking in with us...so we can cheer you on (big smile)...grrreat job! :drinker: :flowerforyou: :happy:

The more I read the experiences of all who are here...I am sooo ENCOURAGED...and I always applaud the younger set on my Friends List that they are doing the RIGHT thing in taking care of their health...soo they can AGE GRACEFULLY...:happy:

CONGRATULATIONS to us ALL...See you soon!!! :flowerforyou:

Deb :heart: