Hi to you all

Options
Hi, I am Grey Panther and have just joined. Grey....because I would be without the hair colour, and Panther because that's what I want to look like in a year's time. I am 68 and weigh 238 pounds, far too much. I try to have a healthy lifestyle but have a bad knee which curbs my walking at times, still I shall just have to swim more.
You all sound a jolly committed bunch and thanks for the tip about Leslie Sansone, I will look it up on u tube. Cheers for now and keep up what ever is going well.

Replies

• Dottyb1940
    Dottyb1940 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi to all members of this group. I am 72 and have dieted most of my grown up life. live in the UK four grown up children, eight grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren. I am enjoying being on Fitness pal and have lost 29lbs since February. Thanks for having me in this group,hope we can help each other.
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Grey Panther and have just joined. Grey....because I would be without the hair colour, and Panther because that's what I want to look like in a year's time. I am 68 and weigh 238 pounds, far too much. I try to have a healthy lifestyle but have a bad knee which curbs my walking at times, still I shall just have to swim more.
    You all sound a jolly committed bunch and thanks for the tip about Leslie Sansone, I will look it up on u tube. Cheers for now and keep up what ever is going well.

Cheers to you also, Grey :flowerforyou: ...although I cover mine with black...I DO appreciate Grey...we have EARNED it!!!! Nice to meet you :drinker:
  • debilang
    Options
    Hi to all members of this group. I am 72 and have dieted most of my grown up life. live in the UK four grown up children, eight grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren. I am enjoying being on Fitness pal and have lost 29lbs since February. Thanks for having me in this group,hope we can help each other.

Dotty :flowerforyou: wanted to say HI to you, also!! I am Deb... I *love* that they say the new 60's, 70's, and 80's...are the NEW 40's, 50's and 60's. We are as YOUNG as we feel...even if it is YOUNG at HEART!! CONGRATS on your 29 lb LOSS...that is NOTHING to sneeze at...but HARD WORK...HAPPY for you!! Yes...I *know* we will be able to support each other in our journey's to get to health and fitness...and if already there..to STAY there!!! QUALITY over NOT! :happy:
  • DianeFrannie
    Options
    Hi Gals, Happy to meet seniors that want to be healthy and look good. Health problems are preventing me from walking to lose weight right now. Happy if I can walk my Yorkie dog once a day. Good luck to all
  • margieparkins
    margieparkins Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    hello ladies!!! My name is Margie and I am 59 years young!, I have yoyo dieted all my adult life too! this time I am taking the journey on a slower level, tired of being in groups that are really for the younger people, just can not keep up with them. love to cook and that is the problem right there! I have 9 grandchildren and the girls all like coming to nanna's to cook. so the story never ends. I have a lot of trouble losing weight these days but have managed to stop putting any more on,,, I have 50 lbs to lose, give or take a pound. lol.looking forward to chatting to you all. bye for now from the land of oz
  • debilang
    Options
    I have yoyo dieted all my adult life too!... love to cook and that is the problem right there! I have 9 grandchildren and the girls all like coming to nanna's to cook. so the story never ends. I have a lot of trouble losing weight these days but have managed to stop putting any more on,,, I have 50 lbs to lose, give or take a pound. lol.looking forward to chatting to you all. bye for now from the land of oz

Margie:flowerforyou: , CONGRATS that you love to cook...I have trouble thinking of things to prepare, but, I am sure being a good cook is a detriment for weight gain. I *love* to eat, but, on a focused effort to lose what I gained in the beginning of the year. I am also a YO YO dieter... I am happy to hear also that your grandchildren are learning to cook, and that I am sure you are teaching them healthy ways to prepare food, for everyone's sake (smile)...We are here to cheer your 50lb journey downward :drinker: Deb
  • greypanther23
    Options
    Hi, have joined only a short while ago, what a lovely supportive group you are. I agree with so much of what you say. We all have some problems and baggage, it would be strange if we didn't at our ages, but, we also have so much to be thankful for.

I would rather be fat than dead, but we have the power with this really helpful site to change the fat bit..
    We can never turn the clock back, I'll never do cartwheels again, but with the determination that you all show, we do have the power to make our present lives more comfortable, healthy and life affirming.

Good luck to all of us.
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Some favorite tips for weight loss for me have been:
    1. drink lots of water.
    2. move it! get a pedometer and just walk as much as possible...set some small goals first.
    3. make getting healthy your job. Know you will be well-rewarded if you succeed. Think that if IBM hired you to do a specific job for three months, you would work your tail off for them and get paid in spades, now work for yourself and figure you would be rewarded with good health.
    4.I have eliminated some foods....just for a while because I want to see how they affect my health. They are booze, gluten, refined sugars and dairy. I will reintroduce them again, but I am finished with the processed trash!
    5. Increase fiber and protein.
    6.lift weights....know your limits and work up sloooowwwly.
    Just love all the info on MFP!
  • debilang
    Options
    Hi everyone! Some favorite tips for weight loss for me have been:
    1. drink lots of water.
    2. move it! get a pedometer and just walk as much as possible...set some small goals first.
    3. make getting healthy your job. Know you will be well-rewarded if you succeed. Think that if IBM hired you to do a specific job for three months, you would work your tail off for them and get paid in spades, now work for yourself and figure you would be rewarded with good health.
    4.I have eliminated some foods....just for a while because I want to see how they affect my health. They are booze, gluten, refined sugars and dairy. I will reintroduce them again, but I am finished with the processed trash!
    5. Increase fiber and protein.
    6.lift weights....know your limits and work up sloooowwwly.
    Just love all the info on MFP!

Hi Susan,

Thank you for listing your "To Do" list. Very succinctly said :happy:

I have been on MFP for going on two years in December...I experienced making fast friends here in SUPPORT of mutual goals. I HAVE learned to do each of your "To Do's"...and they WORK :laugh: especially the WATER. MOVING, Almost NIL of PROCESSED SUGAR (for me). With Weights ( I am at the Calisthenics level using my own body for Push ups, and Squats and my incorporating my free weights which go up to 8 lbs. I also do not Late Night Snack...that nasty habit of eating mindlessly those junk foods that taste so good! (sigh)...I have always been active, but having a heart attack while at the gym in 2009 REALLY scared me,...and I have VOWED ever since not to have this reoccur. It is genetics and long life is not preordained, so I am doing my best to take care of my health.

Thanks for your input! I also applaud EVERYONE here managing your Health and Fitness to your comfort levels. EVERY BIT helps! Let us keep this group going STRONG as we become STRONGER everyday. SASSY SENIORS is a grrreat name for this forum!!! :drinker:

:heart: Deb
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    Hi Y'all. I am 63 and had been working on removing my proverbial last 15 or so pounds. I gained some back recently and so I am back to exercising and logging faithfully again. It takes so long to loose and so quickly to gain back :sad: .

Sure hope this forum stays active. There were some very nice Sassy Seniors hanging out around here :flowerforyou: .

Hugs,
    Mary
  • susanrechter
    Options
    Deb- yeah, those little changes sure make a big difference!
    Wow, having a heart attack in the gym! So glad you're ok now and it was lucky for you those trainers know cpr! omg!
    I know I should do certain things, but sometimes I am just not disciplined. Logging my food has been a great discipline and makes me thoughtful of what I consume. I am worried that after I lose any weight, I will gain it all back. Losing slowly might help me change my eating habits into a lifestyle where I just won't want all the junky stuff. I really enjoy MFP and staying connected really helps, just getting great ideas from people like you! Thanks!
  • susanrechter
    Options
    Greypanther- I wont be turning cartwheels either (that would be a sight!) however I see now, I can lose weight. It's been a long Spring and Summer since I started and for a while I was eating too much fatty stuff. Once I eliminated a bunch of stuff from my diet, I started to see changes. It's amazing.But it took all spring and summer to figure it out. No more dairy, no more sodas, no sugars, no breads, no starchy stuff. More fiber, more protein, more water, more plain veggies,...no more butter...no more red meat. Fish and more fish. Even ate sardines and I haven't eaten them since I was a kid!
    I use Ezekial bread when I want "bread". Its expensive, but I keep it in the freezer and I only eat it occasionally. Fresh ground peanut butter is delicious, but it gobbles up too many calories per tablespoon.
    Good luck with your eating plan. Log in often and let us know how you're doing!:flowerforyou:
  • debilang
    Options
    Happy Wednesday Oct 2, All...

I could already tell this month will whiz by as fast as the others went :laugh: Mom had a great saying when I was a teen..."When you turn 21, the years will go fast"...as a teen, I remember I couldn't WAIT to "have responsibilities"...:happy: was that the proverbial wish of young folks back then. I remember my daughter wishing she was a CHILD again, in her TEENS...lol...Memories :) And here we are now, having lived FULL lives, and the perfect place to be SASSIE SENIORS :laugh:

Susan and Grey, I am a sugarholic, and cutting out the sugar has had a GREAT effect for me! I *was* down on my weight, getting strong (when I joined MFP two years ago)...and then...thinking I could control portions at that time (early 2013)...I started sneaking a pastry here and having too much pasta there...:huh: :happy:

Susan, I've had Ezekial break...but haven't gone out of my way to get it. It *is* expensive More fiber (veggies...is the way to go)...but I have to also add more to my diet. I am sooo busy most of the time, I go for the prepared foods that have too much sodium. I have been craving freshly made foods...preparing ahead of time sounds more and more like a great idea :happy: And THANK YOU...I am okay from the heart attack...and from this last blood test, I am at DESIRED levels once again since I lost weight, have been exercising...and eating BETTER (smile)

Mary, I am glad that a few of us our keeping this Forum going...I know others will join in as time goes by...it is just NICE to log our thoughts and see how others are doing...it *does* take time...but when I am craving foods at a late hour, or sweets when I am not supposed to...this is the place to be to take my mind off doing something I would regret (and I am grateful) ...:drinker:

Take care, everyone...see you soon...

Hugs and Smiles :heart:
    Deb
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    Deb, I agree that this is the place to be when we start to crave... for me it is the carbs with the crunch. At late night I can eat them with out a second thought about portion control. I was just thinking about the cheese its in the pantry when I read your post. Now I can control to fit Cheese its into my cals when I want a treat IF it is earlier in the evening and I have eaten well already. But at night I dare not taste one or it sets me up for disaster no matter how good my day was up to that point.

i absolutely love the Ezekiel bread/ muffins. I don't crave more 'bread' when I eat them. Yes it is pricy but the alternative for me has a bigger price tag in the long run. Like a bunch of discouragement and feeling of failure when I give into cravings, and the stinkin' thinkin' that I beat myself up with when I 'fail' so to speak. And the horrible yucky bloated feeling I have in the morning when I have binged the night before.

I made trade offs with certain foods that I like that are not the healthiest for me in my food budget that I used to buy so that I can afford it.

I use the raisin Ezekiel bread or the raisin Ezekiel English muffin as a planned high protein meal/snack. I use no sugar added peanut butter or almond butter and maybe even some extra raisins with the Ezekiel bread/ muffin. It satisfies and I don't have cravings afterwards like I do if I use even the most healthiest whole grain bread.

Well, time to go to sleep, so nighty night y'all :flowerforyou:
  • Dottyb1940
    Dottyb1940 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hello deb and all the new members, what type of diet are you all doing fast diets, w.w. Diet, Slim fast , it's nice to meet you all! hope your diet works for you, Say why the diet you are doing is right for you. I am doing the 5.2 since last February love it
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    Hi Dottyb1940, I'm not on any special diet as such. Just trying to eat healthier and less :ohwell: . I do have some parameters that I want to stay within most of the time. Such as making sure my macro numbers are fairly close to goal depending on how many exercise cals I eat. I do try to make sure that I am eating *good* fats and enough carbs to have energy, while not sending myself on a crunchy carb binge. I'm aiming for less processed foods, but old habits are difficult to break. There are some things that I don't eat and somethings like raw veggies that I am trying to increase. And I'm learning how to incorporate some snacks and chocolate :) and be able to enjoy them :smile: .

I just read up on the 5.2 diet that you are on. It is interesting.

Take care and have a happy Friday :flowerforyou:
  • dianefisher47
    dianefisher47 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hi to all of you fantastic senior ladies. I am Diane I am 66 years old (will be in November) I am from Canada, I have struggled with my weight all my life. I previously lost 32lbs on another program but after being on a huge plateau I have tried everything to break this plateau and all I ended up doing is gaining 9lbs :blushing: ..I tried TDEE and I also ate according to BMR from Scoobie calculator I also tried this thing ''eat more to weigh less'' everyone gave me different opinions and well now I am a bit mixed up :ohwell: , but trying my best to start losing again. Like someone else said I hope this group remains active cause its so nice to be able to read about other people our age with their weight lose and yes we can help each other :drinker: .....take care ladies and if you want you can add me as your friend.....:flowerforyou:
  • debilang
    Options
    Hello deb and all the new members, what type of diet are you all doing fast diets, w.w. Diet, Slim fast , it's nice to meet you all! hope your diet works for you, Say why the diet you are doing is right for you. I am doing the 5.2 since last February love it

Hi Dotty,
    Like Mary, I am not on any diet...through the years, I've learned that diets make me rebel...and then I end up bingeing...not good:blushing: Sooo, I try to eat as wholesomely...as possible...WITHOUT SWEETS...(though I went on my Car Club's 3 day Fall Tour, and indulged in the most delicious Apple Crisp ala mode...which led to my eating Kettle Korn last night. I am *back*...to not eating sweets...cause it IS my downfall. When I indulge in the future, I have to make sure I am in a controlled environment (home)...or saving up when I go out of town again like I just did. Good thing I got a LOT of exercise. I admire you for staying true. What is 5.2?? I'm 5'2 :laugh: I am sure it has to do with portions of veggies and protein?? Please share...glad it is working for you :happy:

Okay,

Hugs and Smiles
    Deb :heart:
  • debilang
    Options
    Hi to all of you fantastic senior ladies. I am Diane I am 66 years old (will be in November) I am from Canada, I have struggled with my weight all my life. I previously lost 32lbs on another program but after being on a huge plateau I have tried everything to break this plateau and all I ended up doing is gaining 9lbs :blushing: ..I tried TDEE and I also ate according to BMR from Scoobie calculator I also tried this thing ''eat more to weigh less'' everyone gave me different opinions and well now I am a bit mixed up :ohwell: , but trying my best to start losing again. Like someone else said I hope this group remains active cause its so nice to be able to read about other people our age with their weight lose and yes we can help each other :drinker: .....take care ladies and if you want you can add me as your friend.....:flowerforyou:

WELCOME, Diane :flowerforyou:

I just got back from my Car Club's Fall Tour. I check in via my Phone, but, I don't get to see the Groups...so I was glad to see your post :bigsmile:

CONGRATS on losing 32 lbs...you are still *at it*...and haven't given up...and that is what our journey is ALL ABOUT!! I, too, am happy we are all Seniors sharing how to be SASSY...:laugh: ... or how to stay STRONG in the years that we SOO DESERVE to be healthy and fit to enjoy life...but, it is up to us, right...and you are doing "just that"...Have you tried weight training? I think the "eat more to weigh less" has to do with building our muscle...because muscles DO take more calories to BURN efficiently...I am working my way to strength by doing home calisthenics...Push Ups, Ab Roller, and a series of calisthenics that DO make my heart race!! :happy: But I am also careful...and am working my way up to the Challenge. NICE to see you here!! Thank you for helping to make our group active :drinker:

To our Fitness and Health
    Deb:heart:
  • texasgardnr
    Options

Hi Diane, so nice to see you in the Sassy group :heart: . I'm also hoping this group does stay active. Nice to have a special place to be sassy, healthy, and fit :tongue: .

You have long been an inspiration for me to not give up. Even when I slide backwards.

Hugs,
    Mary :flowerforyou: