What do you use to make your smoothies thinner?

Options
MrsSpace
MrsSpace Posts: 49 Member
I've been doing the basic smoothie recipe for my kids (frozen fruit, yogurt, splash of milk and a touch of honey) but it always seeems to be too thick. I've tried adding more milk, and it's a little better, but I still have to eat them with a spoon. And plus, I really don't want to add more calories. I can't do them with OJ, because, to me, they seem too sour. Any suggestions?

Replies

• romancefan1983
    romancefan1983 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't make alot of smoothies but you could try adding some water.
  • alittleteapot
    alittleteapot Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I would swap out the milk for some coconut water, which also adds sweetness so you don't have to use as much honey. If it is still too thick, just use a little less yogurt.
  • alittleteapot
    alittleteapot Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Or maybe use vanilla unsweetened almond milk instead of yogurt. The frozen fruit will still make it thick enough so that they won't miss it, and it's nutritious.
  • SusanDLP
    SusanDLP Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I thin out all my smoothies with water. Zero calories and it works well. Add a little at a time. Or 1/2 skim milk and 1/2 water.

I generally stay away from adding dairy to my smoothies as it can become a calorie bomb. For my kids, I do add Greek yogurt.
  • CoachDeeRyan
    Options
    Like everyone else said water, but fresh fruit might make it a little thinner also....
  • MrsSpace
    MrsSpace Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Tammyinbali
    Tammyinbali Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond milk in my smoothies & usually have to grind some ice into them as well to make them thick. If they end up a bit too thick I put a splash of water in them. The yogurt would definitely be thickening them up, same if you are using bananas. Personally I love eating them with a spoon :)
  • drcrisos
    drcrisos Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I typically will add: 1/4 water, 2 cups of Kale, handful of broccoli (sometimes more), 2 spears of Pineapple, cup of mango and ice.
    Comes out thin, tastes good too.
    Those are estimates of how much I put in, I get to grabbing and just throw in. Some days more mango is needed as pineapple can make it stringy.
    I personally do not add yogurt, milk, juice or anything other than water as I do not need any additional calories.

When I have fresh berries, I add them also. I have a Blendtec blender, so pretty much I can add anything and it comes out thin and usually great tasting!
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I use Greek yogurt to make it creamy, any assortment of fruits and veggies then I use water and ice. I don't find the taste is dulled at all with water as long as you use enough fruits.
  • I like to use either water or green tea, since they're both lighter than milk. The teas add extra flavor. I've found jasmine is especially yummy. Just let a teabag steep in some hot water and put it in the blender with the other ingredients.
  • Chevymomma1226
    Options
    I use 1 1/2 cups of water to just about all of my smoothies and they come out great!!!
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Green tea!
    I brew up a gallon and keep it in my fridge. You get the added benefits of the tea and no real flavor quirks.
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Green tea is a great idea. Any kind of flavored tea would be delicious, I reckon. Unsweetened almond milk is only 30 calories per cup and has a pretty good nutritional profile. Sometimes I do half skim milk half water. Coconut water is slightly sweet and salty and fairly low calorie, too. Diluted juices are good. Sometimes I add cold coffee to my chocolate protein powder smoothies.