Switching Addictions

Options
My name is Beth and I am an addict. I got clean 5/28/2008 and I switched additions. I found food and sleep. I am having a hard time right now, not with my food but with meeting atendance. OA in my area is not very strong and in Narcotics Anonymous there is this constant need to have events centered around food and eating. I don't feel I am strong enough yet. I'm glad this group in here and hope I will find support here.

Replies

• PattiUnleashed
    PattiUnleashed Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My name is Beth and I am an addict. I got clean 5/28/2008 and I switched additions. I found food and sleep. I am having a hard time right now, not with my food but with meeting atendance. OA in my area is not very strong and in Narcotics Anonymous there is this constant need to have events centered around food and eating. I don't feel I am strong enough yet. I'm glad this group in here and hope I will find support here.

Hi, is it Beth? :)
    Nice to have you here joining with us. There are only a few meetings in my area too, but one of them I can hit right after work (and they don't mind that I get there halfway through). Other than that I rarely can make the other meetings available. I will sometimes go to an AA meeting. Online there is a great site for OA where you can listen in to recordings. Here's the sit:

http://www.avision4you.info/

If you click at the top on "daily recordings" you can listen to the M - F recorded sessions (or you can call that phone number and use the code to listen to live meetings early morning Mon - Fri. And if you click at the top on "special edition recordings", you can hear some absolutely wonderful sessions where people with long time recovery in OA share. I listen to the M-F live every weekday on my way in to work and I listen to the Special recordings at least once a week.

Hope that helps some.
    If you want to add me as a MFP friend feel free to.

Patti :flowerforyou:
  • sheltony
    sheltony Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Trying to do it alone without OA support is tough. Feel free to friend me. I'm new to OA (less than 6 months), but have gotten more out of the fellowship than I could imagine. Have you reached out to any individuals in the meetings? Calling is a big help to me, sometimes even a text on my phone keeps me smiling and sane. How about a sponsor? I'm not quite there yet, but it's an important part of the program. The literature sits by my bed and sees lots of my eyes when I'm tired or bored or feeling overwhelmed. I wish you great success. You're worth it!
  • bethannbest
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies. I am glad you both responded. I sent you friend requests.
  • Laurel0724
    Laurel0724 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello Beth!

I've not been as regular on this site as I like. I log on to record my weight, track my exercise at times and sometimes my food. (I can get a little obsessive about that, so I have to watch it, however.

Gratefully, I live in Southern California, so there are quite a few meetings from which to choose....so why is it I can only get my bum to one, possibly two/week? (I'm also in DA, Debtors Anonymous, and that is even more difficult for me to attend for some reason. Online meetings are a real plus and so much more convenient, though I've found them difficult to get used to.

I, too, listen to speaker meetings a lot. One of my favorites is actually the meeting I attend, Orange County Intergroup, at Millcreek.) Here is the link. Our meeting has a "100-er focus", though not all speaker/leaders have lost/released 100 pounds.
    In case it doesn't work, you go to www.oaoci.org. On the far left column, there is a long list of boxes, which link you to different parts of the website. The box on the bottom is for "OA Speaker Downloads". Click on that box. I should take you to a screen that has a lot of meetings. "My meeting" is the Laguna Hills, 100-er focus (currently at the top). Here is the link:

http://oaoci.org/Speakers.htm

I just checked and it even has LAST NIGHT'S leader already! She has been in recovery for 40 years and is maintaining a 150-lb weight loss.

Please - all of you - friend request me! I need all of the support I can get. I just gained 1.5 lbs two weeks in a row. Part of it is that I'm starting to exercise a lot, but to be honest, I've also gotten a little too loosey goosey with my meals and haven't been committing them in the morning. Being accountable for every item that goes in my mouth with my sponsor is critical for me.

Well, I've gone on long enough. Hope this helps.

Hugs and blessings,