Replacement for Wine?!

Options
Hi kiwis! I see there are four of us on here now....I know two of us are from Auckland, one from West Coast, but haven't checked out out fourth kiwi yet so hope to get some posts on here soon! I'm into week three of my programme...hit a stumbling block due to a recurring injury which has restricted exercise for a couple of days but one of the group is going to send me a non leg-based programme so hope to get into it later today!
Meanwhile - what do people do when they're not having a nice glass of wine before dinner?! I'm not a wino, but have got into the habit of a glass of sav while making dinner and it seems to lift the dinner to a higher level!! What to do when making dinner without the wine?! To be honest I feel better for not drinking it, which is good, but maybe like smokers who miss the physical connection with the cigarette when they give up I miss the experience maybe more than the wine!!
Look forward to hearing from you guys!

Replies

• kaydee173
    Options
    Have you tried a wine spritzer - half wine and half soda water so you actually get two for the price of one as far as calories are concerned! Tastes okay but with bubbles and might fit the physical craving bill. Or, second option, look for Kim Crawford First Pick Low Calorie/Low Alcohol wine with just 83 cals a glass. Kim Crawford makes some delicious wines anyway and the Low Cal Sav Blanc is delightful. They do other varieties too but not sure if they come in low cal. Usually sells for about $19 a bottle in our New World Supermarket but they do have it on special until the weekend for $12 so I'll be off to get a bottle or three today. But you should have the occasional glass of your preferred breed as a treat when you've been good with your calories and working hard, a well deserved wee prize!
  • ponderosakaren
    ponderosakaren Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    HI Kay! Wine spritzer is not a bad idea....specially served in a nice glass! Low Alcohol wine...didn't know that existed! I'll go online and see if I can find any...not seen it in the shops we have New World in the village here so I'll have a look in there tomorrow. Good point about the treat...if you can't have a treat its just too bleak isn't it! Thanks for the tip! :)
  • HaylzNZ
    HaylzNZ Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    HI Karen,

new to the group, but had a similar dilemma with the wine.
    My tactic? I use a wine glass, and berocca - it fizzes, is nice with cool fresh water, and the wine glass makes me feel better ;)
    Bonus is I get some badly needed B vitamins.
  • sandralice
    Options
    Hi Kaye

I have found the best substitute for wine is Gin & Tonic!!! Or Soda Lime and a dash of bitters with an ice cube or two is very good - almost as good as a G&T!

Cheers Sandralice
  • kaydee173
    Options
    Good tip Sandralice but I can't stand gin - don't think much of the tonic either. But I do like the occasional Kim Crawford First Pick Low Calorie Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay :-)
  • Tahei
    Tahei Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi fellow Kiwis. I just had to say goodbye to my sauvignon blanc because it would end up making me ravenous and I would always sneak a little more and a little more... I'm all for the fancy glass technique with soda - you can get flavoured soda too which has a little sweetener in it but not much, and I pop in a strawberry, a twist of lime or lemon, or cubes of frozen juice. Truthfully I no longer miss the plonk and wonder how I ever imagined that I just couldn't live without it.
  • sandralice
    Options
    Hi Kay

Yes G&T is not everyone's cup of tea. The Kim Crawford light Sav is good. Matua Valley do one as well called First Frost which I have had a few times and is good. Invivo do a whole line of light wine, I have not tried any tho, and Banrock station as well do some. Apparently the lower alcohol wines are becoming more popular so there will be more coming on the market.

Cheers Sandralice
  • HaylzNZ
    HaylzNZ Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    mmm yes, the Banrock Station Frizzante is a lighter wine, and delicious.
    Not the usual sweet wine - its made with lychees, divine though..
    This will be what I drink this weekend (a cheat weekend but hey, birthdays only come once a year)..

I will have to look into the First Frost.
  • sandralice
    Options
    Hi HylzNZ

The Branrock Station Frizzante does sound delicious - I will have to try it. Have a fantastic and happy birthday!

Cheers Sandralice
  • Annie_R
    Annie_R Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I'm not sure if you're all still on MFP, seeing as most of the posts here seem to be last year or earlier!
    I'm spending a bit of time on the site this afternoon, so thought I'd add my 0.02cents worth!
    On my journey to a healthier lifestyle, I cut alcohol out for 6weeks. When I decided to have a couple of glasses [and I'm talking your 'normal' single serving - which is a very piddly amount!] I felt terrible! I mean unwell. I couldn't sleep, kept waking up all the time. The next morning I felt like I had a hangover! Now back in the day, when I did drink, I wasn't an alcoholic or anything, but I did enjoy a tipple, and it was nothing to go through a bottle or two in an evening - yes, that was just my share! So, when this happened, I was quite amazed at the detrimental effects that alcohol had on me. It was then that I sat back and thought about how great my life had improved since I had cut it out. So now, I'd rather be healthy, happy, feel great and do without. If there is the odd occasion where I would indulge, it would definately only be a glass, just to have a little taste. But otherwise, I stay away.