New and confused

Options
I have had the BMF Link for right about a month now. I initially set it up using the BMF Activity Manager "Calculate this number for me" to determine my calorie goal. It put me at 2300 a day to achieve a 500 calorie deficit. During this 4 weeks, I upped my exercise from cycling 3-4 days a week 30-90 min 12-13mph to 5-6 days also between 30-90 min 12-13 mph. I had a 500-700 calorie deficit almost everyday, sometimes a little higher, and I have managed to gain weight all 4 weeks (5 lbs total). I dont know if I have set something up wrong, if this is to be expected, or if I am just crazy. I had lost 12lbs using the FitBit One and Lose It and checked my average calories during that time and it was around 1600-1800 per week. I got the BMF because I figured it would be more accurate (step counting it does not seem to be though). So, when I set up my BMF goals should I have used the 1600-1800 calories instead of letting BMF calculate it for me? Or should I stop being scale obsessed and impatient and continue what I'm doing (using the 2300 calorie goal BMF set)? Any info is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!

Replies

• JRadd14
    JRadd14 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Calorie input (MFP) nor calorie expenditure (BMF) is 100% accurate.
    Having said this, a 500 calorie deficit could actually be more like a 200-300 cal deficit in reality.

If you were losing at 1600-1800 cals, I'd set your calorie intake goal at 1700 or 1800 and go from there. I personally aim for 700-1000 calorie deficit to actually see progress on the scale. Eating too little can inhibit weight loss.

There are so many other factors too that can cause weight fluctuations... sodium intake, carbs, weight training/muscle development, TOM, etc.

And of course, give it some time to see what works for you... :wink:
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    You can change your calorie goals for intake in the personalized section. When I let BM set my goal, it was too low for all the exercise I do. So I calculated my calorie goals for myself and then personalized those. I left my exercise amounts pretty low though. Its almost sedintary. I log my food here, knowing that's it's not completely accurate given that I'm relying on someone else creating the entry. I sometimes I scan bar codes but I've noticed that even those vary from what is written in the nutrition box of the packaging sometimes. For me, I'm not going to freak if its not totally accurate as I figure its a ball park estimate anyways. The BM armband doesn't really record my bike riding that accurately as a person's arms aren't usually moving like they are when running while on a bicycle. So - its a best estimate all the way around. Personalize your goals is what I advise.
  • ibelieve1968
    ibelieve1968 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help. I had myself so confused. You helped me straighten out my brain lol