What struggles do you face

Options
soccerella
soccerella Posts: 623 Member
Since we have a couple weeks before the season officially starts, I thought Id try to get an idea of some of the struggles we all are facing when it comes to our weightloss journey. Maybe you have a bunch or just one big one you cant overcome, or maybe you arent even sure yet where the issue stems from (cue the Jillian Michaels heart to heart talk).

I thought this would be a good way for us to learn a little more about each other and might even give me some ideas for challenges down the road, so here are a few of mine...plus a couple ideas that i need to implement on how to fix it!

1) sedentary job. My job used to be so much more active, I was out in a boat, working muscles, and now i sit at a computer or microscope most of the day. When its nice out I used to go for walks during lunch, but its gotten so easy to just stay put and surf the internet during my lunch period. This is goign to be even more a concern as it gets colder out and I dont want to go exercise! There is a group of women who meet and do Walk away the Pounds during the week a couple times and I need to just get back in the habit of going there!

2) Desire for quick foods. I am not a morning person - or a night person for that matter. Theres probaly only an hour or so each day that im likeable enough to be around, but thats not the point. I like to sleep in as much as possible in the morning and dont like to waste time making lunch and breakfast in the am. So sometimes I walk out without breakfast, and end up hungry by the time i get to work. Usually im smart enough to make a smoothie or eat something though. The issue is lunch. Ill go to make something and realize I dont want anything I have in my house, or worse that I dont have anything in my house! Then i go to taco bell, or grab something frozen that is full of sodium. Im going to try to do better at planning meals more in advance and making them the night before when i can (lets face it, some things dont taste as good after sitting and geting soggy all night).

3) Moderation. I think this is my big one. I seem to be an all or nothing girl. I wont exercise for months, then go out and run a half marathon. Cut out alcohol and sweets, resisting at weddings and parties, only to binge when Im home bored on a saturday night. I need to find a balance and not require myself to be so extreme with exercise and dieting. I find that if i tell myself i need to run every day or do a wrokout video everyday then i get burned out too quickly or feel super guilty when i miss a day that I end up completely giving up. Same with food. I shoudlnt have to give up cheese and crackers with a glass of wine forever, but know thats its fine to have as a once a week treat but just not every night

so what about you?

Replies

• Smokey864
    Smokey864 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    exactly what you said. I struggle the most with food, breakfast mostly. Breakfast would require me to wake up 15 minutes early and that's 15 minutes less sleep that I'm going to be thinking about all day every time I yawn. Sounds crazy I know but I'm being honest. I like working out it never really feels like a task sweating makes me feel like I did something, I LOVE it. Its just the food ughhh bored eating feels like its impossible to stop.
  • Pfil
    Pfil Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I know I need to do a little exercise every day or at least three times a week. Not just to help burn some extra calories but to get stronger and more fit. When I get home, if I don't change immediately into work out gear it just doesn't happen. And for the last month I've been changing into lounge wear and pajamas instead of a sports bra and shorts.

I am also not a morning person so getting up early to work out is something that will NEVER happen. I don't eat breakfast either but usually munch on something healthy at work in the morning. If I'm really good and get up a few minutes earlier than usual, I have been known to make a smoothie but it is far more likely to get made the night before and put in the fridge to grab in the morning. Even that is fairly rare. :/
  • FieryVixsin
    FieryVixsin Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have been on this site for a while I lost about 40 lbs before joining then another 45 after I joined. I got within 10 lbs of goal and I plateaued with way hard. Then my husband lost his job and in a matter of weeks we were forced to move from Seattle to Southern Cali. That was in April. I knew I was slacking I wasn't logging I was making better choices but I knew that it wasn't enough. When I finally forced my self to get back on the scale I was back up about 20 lbs.

I guess you could say I'm grateful that it is only 20 and could have been much worse. I feel like my life is finally leveling out a bit so I'm ready and excited to continue learning this new lifestyle.

My biggest struggle is dinner I feel like I'm so good all day I make good choices, but when dinner comes and with lots of people in the house that aren't making such great choices it can be hard, especially when pizza walks through the door. Also finding a workout routine that doesn't feel crazy monotonous.
  • devans25
    devans25 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Time management-With a new baby in the house and starting back working my 10hrs shift plus on call it's hard for me to find time to exercise.

Also, lunch is a bad one for me. I make a smoothie in the morning but my co-workers love to go out to eat and its hard for me to turn them down.

Lastly, is visual. If I see it...then I want it. And it's all I will think about until I get it. If my mom is eating Skittles, well I want some too. I've just started being able to throw it away or get it out of my eye sight. But its a hard battle to fight.
  • BMP9713
    BMP9713 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I think my biggest challenge is getting moving! I have the hardest time motivating my self to get out and get moving. It is so hard to pull myself from in front of the tv and out into the fresh air. I want to start running but I guess I'm always worried about what other people think when they see "the fat girl" running. Hopefully since I moved to a place that I know no one it won't be that much of an issue.
  • CristinaVonAlva13
    Options
    I agree I feel the same way!
  • justformel
    justformel Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I think my biggest challenge is getting moving! I have the hardest time motivating my self to get out and get moving. It is so hard to pull myself from in front of the tv and out into the fresh air. I want to start running but I guess I'm always worried about what other people think when they see "the fat girl" running. Hopefully since I moved to a place that I know no one it won't be that much of an issue.

I always thought the same thing about being the fat girl running. But when I see other people out running I think good for them! I think if anyone notices you, that is probably their same thoughts. I also think, reality is, everyone is in such a hurry now, they won't even notice you. :smile:
  • mrob04
    mrob04 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It sounds like everyone is reading my mind! These thoughts mostly sum up exactly. I have horrible time management. I work full time and Im also a momma of 3 kids (9,7 & 2). The 9 & 7 yo both have extracurricular activities they are involved in. So I try my best to get up when my husband gets up for work @ 4 am and do 30 mins of exercise then get myself ready, then get tthe kids ready and out the door to school/sitter and me to work. Then when I get home from work we have piano 1 night a week and baseball 2 nights a week, church Wednesday nights on top of homework for a 1st and 3rd grader (which is UNREAL btw). I still household obligations that I have to keep up as well (laundry, supper, dishes.... everyone else Im sure can attest to everything Im saying!!!) I get so overwhelmed and the last thing I wanna do is think about something else.... like how many calories Ive had or blah blah blah!!! LOL!!!!
    Another issue I have is the relationship I have with food. I honestly think I am addicted to food. Even as I type that it sounds kinda crazy but I really love to eat!!! When I get upset or stressed especially its my comfort and its my stress reliever. And why Im like that or how I fix it I have NO IDEA!!!!!
    So hopefully.... sooner rather than later... I can figure it out!
    Thx soccerella for being such a great "host" for these challenges!
  • lmanes1
    lmanes1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Time...time to keep my food choices organized and ready for quick lunches and dinners with the family....time to get to the gym...time to log food and exercise...These are my challenges. I have learned that if I do these things to take care of myself, the weight comes off. If I slack off on one of them, I stop losing.

I love being a part of this group, because it motivates me to have fun with this process of losing weight and challenges me to keep on the right path.

Looking forward to meeting our teams!
  • Susiej1976
    Susiej1976 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I am always hungry!!!! I could eat all day long and my meals are always really big and I am still hungry.

I am just lazy. No time management issues. I have a great group at work that wil exercise with me but I always make excuses or we talk ourselves into going out to eat. When I get home, hard to get motivated to exercise. The couch calls my name!

Can't wait for challenge! Soccerella, thank you!!! I was so motivated last season. You are amazing!
  • loveme445
    loveme445 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    My biggest struggles on my journey is staying consistent with exercise &eating healthy.

I joined mfp in Oct 2010 and by March/April 2011 I had lost 40-45lbs, about 10lbs away from my goal weight.

In June, I lost the motivation and stopped exercising and started eating everything in sight. As a result, over the course of a year, I gained the weight back. I've been struggling since then and I FINALLY feel like I'm getting back on track.

I know it won't be easy but I will not give up! I will stay in the fight no matter how many times I get knocked down. I'll just get back up and try again.

I'm so excited about the challenge!

Have an awesome week everyone! :drinker:

Renee

P.S. feel free to send me a friend request
  • dillyg08
    dillyg08 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I struggle sweets. I have a serious sweet tooth. I should know better becasue diabetes runs in my family.

I will work out when I'm on a roll, but lately I'm not motivated. Hopefully this challenge along with you guys will help me to get back on track.

Good luck to you all.
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    My job has me either sitting long periods at a desk/computer or on my feet running back in forth through the Emergency Room. I also work the night shift and by myself in office, so I am not able to even go for a walk outside or even the halls.

I would say my biggest struggle is making time to cook my meals/prepare my meals. I end up on a day off and cook mega amounts of different meats and freeze them in serving sizes of 3 or 4 oz zip lock baggies. That way I can take out of freezer, microwave in a couple minutes. add a veggie, some cottage cheese, eat and run out the door. I will also do this with some fruits. (mango, cantaloupe). I weight into 3oz zip lock baggies and put in a plastic bag in fridge, then when in a hurry, I just grab a baggie, through in my lunch bag and off to work I go.

It seems there just isn't enough hours in the day and I struggle with the cooking (above) and also fitting in exercise. I do get it done, but sometimes, I just want to come home and crash infront of the TV for some good R & R. It is getting easier as time goes on with this weight loss journey.
  • tambam72
    tambam72 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    One of my struggles is finding time to juggle work, family, and exercise without feeling guilty about it. I love to work out, but I work 8-4 so if I work out right after work, then I miss family time, if I wait until after my daughter is gone to bed, I am too tired to work out.
    Also I struggle with eating calories through out the day and then I am binging at night to get them all in. I have been MFP and logging everything and I can't believe how little I actually eat during the day. I love sweets and used to snack on them all the time. Once I started on my journey though, I basically gave them up, and never replaced them with anything. I lack the ambition to pre-plan meals.
    I also struggle with self esteem and self worth. I have been through a lot in my life and without getting into to detail, it has left me always feeling not good enough. I go 100% into something and then blow it because in the back of my head I tell myself I am not worth it. This leads to eating. Yes I am a great emotional eater. I can eat if I am sad, happy, or any emotion in between. This is my biggest struggle to find something to do instead of eating and dealing with the emotions as they come instead of numbing them with food.
  • Bambi48433
    Options
    Biggest struggle for me is staying away from tasting anything sweet. I am addicted to food. I know that now and just like an alcoholic person that falls off the wagon, it only takes that one bite for me. I feel really strong right now and am hoping, no praying I will succeed this time. I am new here on MFP, but not new to the world of dieting and losing weight. I am going to shed all this ugly unwanted weight and I feel this time is the time for me to shine. I love the Biggest Loser on TV and it helps me keep motivated and that is why I want to be a part of this challenge. It is calling out to me to be a part of this.
  • Anne0209
    Anne0209 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with everyone on all these issues. Mostly sweets and breads. I can do so good for a while and then I plateu and fall apart.
  • abagwill
    abagwill Posts: 222
    Options
    My biggest weakness is carbs and sweets and making excuses for not going to the gym. I am a mom to young boys and I want to spend so much time with them, I work full time and I know that if I do not go to the gym immediately after work, I will not exercise that day. I think also that I jump in feet first and do really well at something for a short period of time but when I do not get the immediate gratification, I lose faith in myself and what I am doing and fall back into my old habits. I am a creature of habit and I like routine. I also don't like cooking at home or even know how to cook healthy. I wish I could have a professional do it all the tiem for me!! I find that if I check in constantly, participate in groups, succeed then I will do well.
  • This question kind of threw me for a loop because I have different struggles at different times. So here they are in no particular order:

1. Kids- I have 3 of them and that means 3 times the after school activities between Softball, Girl Scouts, School Fun Nights, and Fundraisers I feel like I don't ever have time for 'me'.

2. Time- I don't have a lot of it. Recently I have begun running with our family dog. It helps because every time she wants to go out I just go for a run. That being said, I have to take her early in the morning as my job often requires late nights so I am usually 'That Girl' who looks crazy at 4:30 or 5:00 in the morning. If I don't work out in the morning I don't work out at all.

3. Plateaus- I have lost weight before and was at my best about 8 years ago. Then I had my first daughter, and then the others followed after. I lost a lot of weight between my 2nd and my 3rd and was going to the gym for 2 hours a day. Then I plateau, for weeks and months at a time. Its discouraging, especially when I am restricting calories while my husband treats my kids to sweets & fast food.

4. Food- I was raised in the south and things that should be healthy always have something in them that is not. My mother in-law gave me all the family recipes when I got married. As I dug through them everything was either made with Lard or Crisco. I'm not an 'eater' so to speak. I find it to be a waste of time but when my husband wants his grandmother's famous chicken & rice I am just too tired and worn out to cook a separate meal or pretend that the salad I am eating tastes just as good. I try to remember the "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" but then I think "Well I don't know how skinny feels but I do know Grandma's chicken is amazing" and it kind of goes from there.

Those are the majors. I am a good goal setter and hope to not get discouraged from these struggles. I am hoping this Biggest Loser will really motivate me to stick with it.
  • skinniwoman
    skinniwoman Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I hate grocery shopping so I eat on the fly. My trigger points are my daughter's house. I go there to babysit and I end up going eating fried foods. Some bad habits she picked up from me. When I'm at work I can stay close to my calorie count, but the weekend comes and I have problems again.
  • 77chantelle
    77chantelle Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Too many snacks.