Hashimotos.... Gluten... the next generation

Options
Opinions please. So I have hashimotos. Diagnosed 2 years ago, just recently gone gluten free after reading articles about the link between hashis and gluten. My question is should I make my children go gluten free too??.... do you think it would delay or even prevent them from developing the condition in the future?? xx

Replies

• TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I personally think (based on no scientific evidence whatsoever) that making them go gluten free and have as "natural" a diet as possible will only benefit them in the future. I want to do it with my kids, just not sure where and when to start. I am a little afraid of the backlash as my daughter is a super picky eater. My daughter has pretty severe ADHD and although her Dr. says there is no science that proves a gluten free diet will help, MANY people in support groups of other kids with ADHD suggest otherwise. "They" say that gluten is the #1 thing that has helped relieve symptoms of ADHD, allergies, etc. So, while I am not sure if it will help prevent Hashi's alone, I am sure that it will help prevent or at least tone down a lot of things and Hashi's/HypoT might be one of them. It's worth a shot. I mean, it can't hurt them to cut all the crap out of their diet and there are so many recipes out there now for healthy, great tasting treats and snacks. It's definitely an adjustment though and not an easy one to implement.
  • iamMaLisa
    iamMaLisa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I was told i had Hashimotos just this past March and i am struggling with what to do other then gain weight, i am not on any medication as of yet, my endocrinologist said that a person can go years without ever having to have medication.. smh.. i dropped him like a lead balloon.. however i havent been to another endocrinologist. My tsh jumps back and forth so much that they dont want to "intervien" until i get worse.. essh i dont even want to know what worse feels like.

i tried gluten free for a few weeks and felt no difference in how i feel, i wonder if it takes longer to get the benefits? maybe i should try again?