How many calories do you eat?

Options
Hi there! I am 14 days post op - and just looking at my food logs. I notice that I am consistently getting around 800 calories per day, now that I am on the Stage 4 diet (moist protein). I am getting 60 grams of protein and 64 ounces of fluid religiously. My NUT didn't give me a calorie goal - but I think my surgery buddies are closer to 500 calories per day. Did anyone get any advice on the calorie side? Should I be worried that I'm over-eating? Just asking that question makes me feel like I sound totally insane - but I think you VSGrs will know what I mean...

Replies

• tracer1223
    tracer1223 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Marge! My surgeon is opposed to giving me ANY calorie restrictions. In the early days post-op my calories were kind of all over the place. What I find now is that it's best to keep calories to 600-800 (I'm usually closer to 700-800). Now that I'm 4 months post-op I get 80-90 grams of protein a day and work hard to keep my carbs to below 40 grams per day. I think if you eventually work up to 80+ grams of protein and keep the carbs low you'll find that calories naturally come in at 800 or less.

Now, I've occasionally spiked over 800 calories when I've had days where I've added in healthy fats like almonds or avocadoes. But 90% of the time my calories are at 800 or less. With this plan I've managed to hit a comfortable 2 lb. a week rate of loss over the last 6-8 weeks.

Best of luck on your journey!

Tracy
  • LessofaLargeMarge
    Options
    Thanks Tracy. It's really helpful to know what I should eventually be aiming towards.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I really didn't get any kind of calorie amount until I hit a stall at 9 months. When I went in for my 1 year checkup, they determined that I was eating too few and boosted me to 1,000 per day with 70-80 grams of protein. The weight loss started again, just very slowly. Now at 2 years out, I eat between 1,000 and the 1,200 MFP gives me. My weight loss is still really slow, but my doctor and nutritionist says that's normal for how far out I am.
  • vickidlovelace
    vickidlovelace Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My surgeon recommends 800-1200 calories 70-80 g protein 100-130 g carbs.
  • LessofaLargeMarge
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I appreciate all the info!