Looking to try Keto! In need of support and suggestions!

Options
Hi guys!

A bit about me: I'm a 25 yo female who has always been over weight. A combo of genetics and just bad choices led me to here. I started mfp almost 2 years ago with pretty good results. Lost about 65 lbs with just calorie cutting (low fat, moderate carb, high protein) and introducing a regular exercise regime. Then sometime around January of this year I hit a wall. I haven't really lost anything since then. First I tried switching up my exercise routine. Now I do more lifting-centric workouts instead of cardio/Pilates based. Still nothing. I feel stronger, I know I have more muscle, but nothing else is budging. I also upped my calorie intake from 1200 to 1400. Still nothing.

A friend of mine has done keto for over a year now and has had amazing results (he lost 100+lb). My gym buddy recently brought up trying this out and I think this time I'm going to listen. I've been reading some articles about it and I can tell its not just some fad - that there's scientific backing to support the results. One of the reasons I'm uncertain about the whole thing is my intense sweet tooth. I've coped so far by replacing all the cakes cookies bread with fruit. But now this is saying I can' t have that either. How do you overcome that? Every time I've tried to cut something out of my diet, I end up failing and regaining weight. I'm trying desperately to prevent that from happening again.

My question to you all is this: How do I start? I did a calculator thingy and these were the results
---
*Generated by [Keto Calculator](http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com) 5.15*

25/F/5'5" | CW 180 | 38% BF | Lightly active

* 1500 kcal Goal, a 30% deficit. (750 min, 2143 max)
* 25g Carbohydrates
* 95g Protein (72g min, 139g max)
* 113g Fat (30g min, 184g max)

Do these results seem reasonable? How do I need to prepare? What food should I stock up on?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Dani

Replies

• Twylashea
    Twylashea Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I just found my macros like you did and did my best at the start to meet them. Days 3 and 4 were the worst for cravings but then all of a sudden I wasn't hungry for anything and seemed to need to make myself eat.

I got the keto flu at the beginning of week two, I think mainly because I was still trying to control my sodium intake. As soon as I started having broth 2 times a day I felt like a million.

There is some natural sweetness in coconut oil, which may help partly with any cravings I do have, as I have it my coffee every morning.

We walked through the Costco Christmas (yes Christmas!) candy and chocolate section on the weekend and my husband pointed out my favourites asking if any temped me. Not a one!

9lbs and 9 inches make me so much more happy.
  • dani127x
    Options
    Thank you for your reply and your friend request! Its encouraging to see others having such success with this. What is the Keto flu? Also what are the limitations when it comes to coffee? I plan on switching to cream but is liquid stevia ok? I don't think it has any carbs. I cant take coffee without some sort of sweetness to break it.

Thanks!
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I still have lots of treats. Dark chocolate is a good one (ghiradelli 86% dark is a good option - they are individually packaged - use in moderation). I also used coffee with heavy cream and sweetener for my sweet tooth. My preferred sweetener is truvia and Zsweet. Both are a blend of erythritol and stevia. Liquid stevia is fine.

There are LOTS of keto friendly recipes. My favorite if Coconut Custard. This stuff is so good I would offer it to a non-keto person; well, that is if I were the sharing type ;-). I've made brownies, cheesecake, brownie-cheesecake, ice cream. Cocoa almonds are another good one. The "Fat Fast Cookbook" has a lot of good keto recipes.

Keto Flu is when you get tired and headachy as you switch from using carbs, it's due to a loss of electrolytes - primarily sodium. You need to supplement sodium, potassium and magnesium - but sodium is most important, with 3-5 g needed per day. Chicken broth is the easiest way to do this. For a bonus, add 1/4 cup of heavy cream to your broth.

Check out this FAQ if you haven't already. http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

Good luck! You'll do great!!!
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Ricotta cheese with some splenda and cocoa powder.

But for the most part, the less sweets you have, the less you want. When I finally do cave in and have some, it pretty much hurts my teeth and makes me feel fuzzy.
  • kiramaniac
    Options
    Ricotta cheese with some splenda and cocoa powder.

But for the most part, the less sweets you have, the less you want. When I finally do cave in and have some, it pretty much hurts my teeth and makes me feel fuzzy.

Ae you doing keto sweets? Or real sugar sweets?
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    it pretty much hurts my teeth and makes me feel fuzzy.

Ae you doing keto sweets? Or real sugar sweets?

Oh, when I cheat, it's with pizza and beer and ice cream or gummi bears. Even dark chocolate honeycomb from Sprouts. Definitely carb binging. Keto sweets don't make me feel that way at all. I can stick to the parmesan+flaxseed crust pizza (or bacon weave pizza) with rum and diet root beer and then some cocoa roast almonds as dessert, and feel great.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you would post your keto coconut custard recipe :blushing:
    I'm having a bit of trouble meeting my need for the occasional sweet :ohwell: I do keto to keep my blood sugars stable & do best with a strictly meat & salad kind of diet....can get kinda boring :laugh:

Just to show you what I'm up against...let me introduce you to my sugah monster....

tumblr_mqg8gsPrUm1s7wzvvo1_500.gif
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    nevermiiind!!!

I found the post with the recipe....can't wait to try it out on my sugah monster :wink:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/998710-spectacular-keto-coconut-custard?page=1#posts-17061939

edited to add link
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Speaking of stevia, I'm shopping around, there are so many brands, some say they have silica, some say they have erythritol, what's the difference and what's best?
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Everyone has different preferences, but my fat bomb is so good and always hits the spot. I actually like it more than real cookies now. I had an actual cookie the other day and half way through thought, "This just doesn't taste the same..." Yesterday I had my fat bomb for dessert and this morning I was down 2 lbs. It's what makes keto more sustainable and enjoyable for me than other eating approaches -- I not only can but do indulge in delicious foods like chocolate, peanut butter, and butter with a stevia-flavored whip cream.

I did a blog post about it here when I did a fat fast: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Jasmine_James/view/fat-fast-day-4-overview-572780
  • kiramaniac
    Options
    Silica??? What the heck??? That's the stuff in the little packets that they add to products to absorb moisture. Seriously? They are adding that to food?!? Hmmm... Looks like it's an anti-caking agent so it doesn't clump. There are some websites claiming health benefits of it. It's on the Internet so it must be true.

I'm a fan of erythritol. Zsweet is my favorite sweetener. I've had great results with it. I think my next experiment will be buckeyes. I have a powdered Zsweet I can mix with some PB. Then dip into melted dark chocolate.

Stevia tends to have a bitter aftertaste. They blend it with erythritol to neutralize and balance the two sweeteners together.

For me it ultimately comes down to impact on diet and taste. If it tastes like ****, what's the point? Zsweet is my favorite so far.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Yeah silica.. so I won't go for that brand for sure! Let me see if I can find Zsweet. I also see some liquid stevia that has erythritol
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Welcome on board! It's a very friendly helpful bunch on here and the more the merrier :-)!
    Give it a good go before thinking it's not for you. You will find lots of info and advice looking through posts.
    Sweet tooth-you know you might have came to exactly the right place. If that is your downfall this way of eating will really help. As someone pointed out you can have dark chocolate the darker the better, some great recipes, my favourite dessert at the moment is Greek Yogurt mixed with Mascarpone and Cocoa Powder :-))! Amazingly we seem to manage on very little to no fruit and get all nutrients required from veg and other foods. I think a lot of us eat natural and make recipes rather than buy prepackaged prepared food. Maybe a bit of extra work but you get into the way of it, it is so satisfying and tasty you won't want to go back to cardboard with flavouring!!! Keep posting,
  • dani127x
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions! Glad to hear that dark chocolate (in moderation and within my macros of course) is still an option since that is one of my favorite things. So far I'm on day two and I haven't hit keto flu yet. Let's hope it stays that way. If I have enough carbs left in the day, is it ok to have a serving of fruit like an apple with some peanut butter on it? Or will that throw me completely out of whack? I've also been trying to eat more natural. I enjoy cooking so I've been trying to find some keto recipes that both me and my family (who eat the complete opposite to keto) will enjoy.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I've decided to try it too! I am already doing a lower-carb thing anyway (under 100g), but I want to amp my results up a bit. Question for the community. If I use this calculator, should I be eating my exercise calories back?

---
    *Generated by [Keto Calculator](http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com) 5.15*

39/F/5'4" | CW 167 | 39% BF | Lightly active

* 1561 kcal Goal, a 20% deficit. (694 min, 1951 max)
    * 25g Carbohydrates
    * 81g Protein (66g min, 127g max)
    * 126g Fat (30g min, 169g max)

----
  • mo11ybloom
    Options
    If I have enough carbs left in the day, is it ok to have a serving of fruit like an apple with some peanut butter on it? Or will that throw me completely out of whack? I've also been trying to eat more natural. I enjoy cooking so I've been trying to find some keto recipes that both me and my family (who eat the complete opposite to keto) will enjoy.

One medium apple has about 25 grams of carbs in it, and depending on what kind of peanut butter you use, that can add an extra 6 or 7 grams of carbs. So even if you ate zero carbs for the whole day (which is pretty hard to do), that apple and pb would put you over the limit! It might not throw you out of ketosis, but I would consider that to be a cheat meal.

The best thing about eating keto, in my opinion, is how it forces you away from processed foods. I am eating more natural, whole foods than I ever was, and I can really feel the difference! You can still make some great meals for your family that don't seem "weird", even if they're not on keto. Just keep the starch (pasta/rice/bread) separate from the meat and veggies, and make sure to leave sugar and flour out of your sauces. Add an extra pat of butter or some cheese to your meal and leave out the starch, and you're golden! Search Pinterest for "keto" and "paleo" for some ideas.