new to SL 5x5 group

Options
Hello all! After reading many of your stories, I figured it was about time to share my own success and failures (and a few other opinions) with the SL 5x5 program. A little background before doing so though. I'm an average sized male (5'10" and about 215lbs) and almost 40 years old. I played a myriad of high school sports (ahhh the glory days) and was actively "working out" using a split routine 3-4 times/week for approximately 3 months before finding a program that I felt would suit my needs and schedule; StrongLifts 5x5. In addition, I had never done a single free weight/barbell squat, deadlift or barbell overhead shoulder press in my entire life before starting this program. I do take a supplement; EAS Phos HP (as recommended) as well as VitaCost Finest Fish Oil with Omega-3 (2 tbsp daily...most of the time...read up on it). With all of that being said, here's the details of the past 2 months workouts in a condensed version.

First recorded SL 5x5 workout...7/3/13
Most recent SL 5x5 workout...9/19/13

squat...135 starting/235 current*
deadlift...135 starting/265 current
bench...175 starting/205 current**
row...95 starting/145 current
ohp...95 starting/135 current***

Now you're noticing the asterisks...they are there for a reason and I'll explain each one specifically. In general, keeping the same MWF workout schedule has been tough due to external circumstances beyond my control. I have missed a few workouts here and there but have never quit.

*squat...at 220 I had a failure that I can only attribute to just an "off day" and my mind was somewhere else as I only completed 1 set and was spent. This is where it gets a little fuzzy. I think the next workout was a 220 repeat and the following was inadvertently 235 (55lb bar vs. 45lb bar). In any case, I have purposely repeated or regressed weight because of missed workouts and my last full 5x5 was at 235 (with a healthy amount of noise generated on the uplift I might add).

**bench press...I stalled at 220 which was disappointing to me as my goal here was 225 (there's just something about benching 4 plates total). I evidently pulled or strained or pinched something in my left shoulder (something in the anterior deltoid) and was only able to do 220 3x5 and the remaining 2x5 were at 200. I decided to drop back to 200 and am working my way back up (while still nursing the shoulder) and current 5x5 bench is at 205.

***overhead press...From reading previous posts, I understand that this is where most lifters have their most surprising failure at, what seems to me, a very low weight. Not so here. I kept going and going on OHP...until the 140lb mark. That was the stall weight and I was only able to complete 3x5 and then 1x4. I tried it again at 140 and it just wasn't happening. It should be noted that these were front OHP, meaning in front of my head. I knocked the weight down to 125 (primarily because of my left shoulder) and was able to do 5x5 again with no problems. I then made the decision to switch from front to rear OHP because of two reasons. One, it felt better on my shoulder (odd because they says rears is more taxing on the shoulders) and two, it's the same hand/arm position used when squatting. I started rear OHP back at 90lbs and most recently completed 5x5 at 100lbs.

My conclusions and opinions so far: Personally, I like the program. It works, as long as you stick to it! My advice to others is as follows:

-Don't try to reinvent the wheel! Just follow the program. I don't understand how people have so many questions regarding this program. It blows my mind! Start light with good form. When you fail to 5x5, repeat weight. When you fail again, reduce the weight. Easy.
-Proper form. I see so many people in the gym using improper form and no one says anything, especially the "trainers"! Half the time they are the ones teaching the bad form (that's a whole other rant)! Again, start light...lighter than you think you should! Let your muscles adjust to the weight little by little (5lbs at a time).
-"Easy" bad form fixes: Squat as low as you can go, not halfway (or less). Quads below parallel to the floor, not even with it. Even for you big guys, if your gut gets in the way, widen your stance slightly to accommodate. Deadlift like a chimp (without gloves). Yeah it sounds funny but your starting position should be almost like a chimp squatting. Drive with your legs and keep your *kitten* low. The point here is to lift with your legs, not your back as so many do! Bench press...bring it all the way down to your chest, not most of the way down!
-You don't need an "app" to tell you what to do or keep track of anything. Good ol' pen and paper work just fine...just like they have for the last 100 years. Buy a $1 Composition Book at Wal-Mart, take 3 minutes before you go to the gym to plan your workout and go do it. Record your progress accordingly after each set. For example:
squat 225 √ | √ | √ | 4 | x (√ for complete / # of reps if partial / x for none accomplished)
-Don't try to mix in a split routine...at least not while you're in this program. Biceps, triceps, calves, etc etc etc...it's not needed. Once you start lifting heavy with proper form in this program, you'll feel it in those muscles I promise! I'm not against ancillary exercises but they should be kept in check. I personally do things to "stretch out" like dips, decline situps, side bends, weighted rows, unweighted barbell curl, tricep press and leg press...but nothing with substantial weight. Just enough to get loose or stretch the muscles out post-workout.

Well, that's my story so far. I hope this helps some of you out and gives some kind of motivation to others.

Replies

• Mikej77
    Mikej77 Posts: 112
    Options
    Hey Kevin! Welcome to the group. It does not get much activity but once in awhile we will get a new post. I was thinking about posting some more stuff but not sure how people will take it. I have only been doing the program for a few weeks and absolutly love it. So much infact that I joined the stronglifts inner circle. Mainly because I am on the computer most of the day and want an active group to chat with and learn from. I have to say that the membership has already paid for itself.

They have a great forum set up, where you are told NOT to search, just ask a question regardless of how silly it may be. The best part is PEOPLE REPLY! I have got more information about the program, fitness, nutrition in the last few weeks then I have in the last few months reading other forums or magazines.

One thing I really like is they have a log, that anyone can see, and actually follow. So when you join you have a few people that start following you that also just started. This is huge for motivation as you can see what worked for someone in your same situation. It is also a great place to get form advice.

A MFP member and myself actually started messaging each other our workout logs and progress after each workout. It is awesome, gives me something to share as well as something look forward to.

Wondering if anyone in this group would be interested in starting a workout log in these forums...
  • brandynot
    brandynot Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am about to begin the program in 2 weeks. Actually I am about to pick up my power rack for my home gym tomorrow *SOOO EXCITED*. Anyhoo...thanks so much for this post. I found it really helpful and you really made it easy to understand. Thanks for taking the time to write it down and share your experience. It really does help. :smile:
  • HelllYeaHH
    HelllYeaHH Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. It answered some things I was thinking about.

I'm in week 2 now and started from scratch. I feel kinda silly at times lifting so light, but I realize its really important to work on form.

@Mike: I wouldn't mind a more active group. Any tips you have that can help are welcome. :)
  • Trarbach
    Options
    Don't feel silly or let the low weights bother you because you are beginning to build that wide low base that with make a skyscraper or even a third floor building made of solid material. Use every fiber of your muscles when starting by exacting form and cadence. They say it takes 10000 movements until a pattern is remember in your muscle memory and I am 16 weeks into SL and wished I took seriously the first 6weeks the importance of form over major weight loads. Also hydrate pre workout with the least 16 ounces minimum 20 minutes before workout. And lastly Good sleep is critical!
  • kevinwheat1
    Options
    You are all welcome for the info and write up of my experience so far. If anyone has any questions regarding MY EXPERIENCE with the program so far, please don't hesitate to ask. Sadly, I have yet to make it to the gym so far this week, but I'll be back in there for sure on Thursday.

I'm curious as to what weights others have started with as compared to what their immediate previous weightlifting experience was before starting SL5x5. Where were your failures and how did YOU overcome them?
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options

I'm curious as to what weights others have started with as compared to what their immediate previous weightlifting experience was before starting SL5x5. Where were your failures and how did YOU overcome them?

I started SL5x5 Aug. 1, doing workouts everyother day. Started with: Squat-65, OHP-45, DL-95, Bench-65, Row-55. Before that I had been losing weight and doing various dumbbell and body weight stuff (pullups, pushup, dips) with no rhyme or reason. So far I failed at 115 OHP, got it on the second attempt, first attempt at 120 is today. Failed at 205 Squat (Monday) and "tweeked" my knee. I'll try again tonight. I've been icing my knee but it's still a little sore.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I was not new to weights when I started back after a long hiatus (about 10 years), so my starting weights were from approximated 1 rep maxes calculated off the Internet and then reducing that weight by 10-20% to cover my butt just in case. Like I said, not new to weights, but was new to strength training, so I started SL5x5 on January 28 of this year.

Started off Squat-115, Bench-115, OHP-65, Row-115, Deadlift-115. Been on a caloric deficit since October of 2012, so things have slowed down quite a bit in regards to strength increase going this long, but as it stands at the moment, I am still doing 3x5 for Bench (235) and Rows (235), 1x5 for OHP (165) and Deadlifts (325), and Madcow for Squats (340). Have a feeling I will be moving to 1x5 on Bench and Rows in the week or two and just moved to 1x5 on OHP (waiting on some fractional plates to come in for my gym so I eak out a little more time on OHP). Deadlifts suck comparitively, so I am constantly deloading and working on form before I move to Madcow on those. I try and do a little light cardio two days a week on a treadmill and have noticed that since I have built up to being able to jog for a few minutes, my squats have suffered some; so will back off to just some fast walking.

I can hardly wait to finally get down to a low enough body fat % to where I can start a bulk and actually see what my strength does with actually having spare calories. But losing weight is still my first priority.
  • kevinwheat1
    Options
    Ahh so after lifting for almost a year, Cajuntankon had moved on to doing some Madcow stuff. How long were you doing the straight SL5x5 program before moving on to Madcow?

It's important to emphasize that Madcow is for intermediate lifters, once the gains of doing SL5x5 have slowed to a crawl or ceased altogether. It's not for those that just hit a stall a time or two and feel like moving on to another program. I still like the muscle fatigue factor introduced by SL5x5 and lifting heavy for all 5 sets, but also understand that someone can't keep increasing indefinitely and with heavier weights comes longer recovery times.
  • cajuntank
    Options
    Ahh so after lifting for almost a year, Cajuntankon had moved on to doing some Madcow stuff. How long were you doing the straight SL5x5 program before moving on to Madcow?

It's important to emphasize that Madcow is for intermediate lifters, once the gains of doing SL5x5 have slowed to a crawl or ceased altogether. It's not for those that just hit a stall a time or two and feel like moving on to another program. I still like the muscle fatigue factor introduced by SL5x5 and lifting heavy for all 5 sets, but also understand that someone can't keep increasing indefinitely and with heavier weights comes longer recovery times.

I started Madcow once I was squatting over 300lbs. I think Medhi even comments about this on his site or PDF somewhere. Squatting over 300lbs three times a week and on a caloric deficit was too much for me. I had absolutely nothing left for the other lifts once I had completed squats. Had to move to Madcow where you do ramping sets up to a heavy set of 5 reps on say Monday, Wednesday you squat up to around 60% give or take (it's a light workout to help with recovery), then Friday you ramp up weight to 5lbs more than you did Monday for a heavy triple, then finish it off with a set of 8 at around 80%. Madcow adds weight every week instead of every workout like SL 5x5. I've been doing Madcow for squats now for about 7 weeks.
  • LowellHolliday
    Options
    Hi, just joined the group today but have been doing SL5x5 since August 5, 2013. I am a 35 year old male, 5'11" and hover in the 225-230lbs range. I have never done any weight training in my life and actually had never done any of these exercises before. I am loving this system as it is easy and I am already seeing the results in the 9th week.

I started the program with just the bar (well with 2.5lbs on each side as it is a 40lb bar at my gym) and the Deadlift and Row at 95 & 65. I have only stalled on the OHP...twice, but at different weight so I haven't deloaded yet. I knew right from the start that I would be stalling soon on this lift as I had trouble on the first few times. Amazingly I was able to make it without stalling until 85lbs and that one was only the last rep of the last set. I made it next workout and got the 90lbs but stalled on the 3rd and 4th sets with only 4 reps each. I ended up taking more rest (4 minutes) than normal (I usually wait for my breathing to resume normally) and was able to get all 5 reps on the 5th set. I am now doing 1, 2, 3 & 4 minutes rest on OHP even though my breathing is returning to normal before that.

My wife has started SL5x5 this week, I think mostly because it is all I talk about and she is definitely seeing my beer belly disappear and my legs have definition I haven't had since playing Water Polo in high school.
  • Mikej77
    Mikej77 Posts: 112
    Options
    Welcome to the group, its been getting a little more active. Have your wife check out the stronglifts 5x5 for woman group, they are super active and very helpful.
  • kevinwheat1
    Options
    I just went back down on barbell row to 95lbs and am more sore now than I was at 140+ oddly enough. I feel as though I have more control over the weight using 95 and not "jerking" the weight up like I was with the heavier weights.

Squatted 245 this week which is a new personal best. It actually wasn't as difficult as I thought it was going to be. Plenty of ramp up lifts and stretching done before and in between sets though.

Up to 110 on rear OHP without much difficulty...yet.

Deadlifts up to 285. Made quite a bit of noise during the lifts and lost some shin skin this week.
  • keith426
    Options
    Hello all. I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Keith. I'm 33 and from the Hudson Valley, NY.

2 years ago I had gastric-bypass and lost 95 lbs. Since I hit my lowest weight I've gained 35 of those lbs back. I'm currently on a high protein / low carb diet, and I stick to the Strong Lifts 5x5 routine which has been amazing.

I started Strong Lifts in early September. Unfortunately - I do use dumbbells instead of a bar because that's what I own. When I started, I was using 20 lb dumbbells - so 40 lbs in total.

Today, I am using 55 lb dumbbells for my squat and dead lift, and 45 lb dumbbells for the other exercises.

It's hard to go up every exercise by 5 lbs with the dumbbells, so I've been increasing it every other exercise. I plan on investing in a standard bar in the next month. I have no room in my apartment for a squat rack or bench. I'll have to clean for the shoulder press which is doable, and I'm building a contraption to hold the bar up for the bench press which I do on the floor.

I know it's not ideal - but I cannot afford a gym and I live in a small place, so I work with what I have. So in the last month and a half I've increased my squat and dead lift by 70 lbs, which I'm proud of considering that I don't do it exactly.

My goal is to be able to do at least 200 lbs for each exercise.
  • wcroston138
    wcroston138 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Howdy! I've been on the program now for 6 months while eating at a caloric deficit. I am 5'9" and 160 lbs, 39 years old.

My results have been great. I dropped 15 lbs and almost 4% body fat. My beer belly is gone, and I have a nice lean and cut look. Slow but steady increases in the lifts. Current weights are: Squats 180 lbs, Bench 145 lbs, Deadlift 235 lbs, Overhead 115 lbs. I cut out doing Barbell rows because I felt my form was horrible, and instead do inverted rows 3xF. After doing the big lifts, I always do some bodyweight exercises (chinups, pullups, pushups) to failure, and also some ab work (reverse crunches, planks).

Goals are to bench my bodyweight 5x5 and to squat 1.5 times my bodyweight 5x5.
  • scooterjay_wwis
    scooterjay_wwis Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hey Kevin! Welcome to the group. It does not get much activity but once in awhile we will get a new post. I was thinking about posting some more stuff but not sure how people will take it. I have only been doing the program for a few weeks and absolutly love it. So much infact that I joined the stronglifts inner circle. Mainly because I am on the computer most of the day and want an active group to chat with and learn from. I have to say that the membership has already paid for itself.

They have a great forum set up, where you are told NOT to search, just ask a question regardless of how silly it may be. The best part is PEOPLE REPLY! I have got more information about the program, fitness, nutrition in the last few weeks then I have in the last few months reading other forums or magazines.

One thing I really like is they have a log, that anyone can see, and actually follow. So when you join you have a few people that start following you that also just started. This is huge for motivation as you can see what worked for someone in your same situation. It is also a great place to get form advice.

A MFP member and myself actually started messaging each other our workout logs and progress after each workout. It is awesome, gives me something to share as well as something look forward to.

Wondering if anyone in this group would be interested in starting a workout log in these forums...

I'm willing.
    I received my invitation to the Inner circle, but didn't get back to it in time and the doors closed. I appreciate all the help and input I get on here.
    Anyone feel free to add me.
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Looking at the activity of posts, I am not sure if there is many active members. But here goes anyways. I just finished the first week of 5x5. I found it really easy, as expected, but took the time to get my range of motion and form back in check. I had previously done crossfit for 6 months and loved it, but had an injury that set me back. I thought this would be a good way to get back into lifting and eventually back to crossfit.

Did everyone start with just the bar like the program recommends? I did, but have bumped it up a bit in some of the exercises, as it was far to easy. i was sure not to push to much, so I could follow the incremental increases.

Any feedback or advice would be great.
  • cajuntank
    Options
    I personally did not start off with just the bar, but this is mostly because I had lifted some in the past, so I had the rudimentory basics of the movements down. That being said, I believe I started at about 40% of my perceived maxes for those exercises (at that time) and added weight accordingly as directed by the program. The weight was still plenty light for me for quite a few weeks before I failed on a set. It was OHP and I was only taking 60-90 seconds of rest between the sets up to this point. The next go round of OHP with that same weight, I rested for 2-3 minutes and got the weight fairly easily. I was also doing some assistance work and back off sets for the main movements until the weights became heavy for me, then it was all about the main work and recovery from that load. The lighter weight for men is definitely an ego check of sorts I the beginning. But if you can ego check yourself early on, then you can probably ego check yourself later on when the weights are super heavy and instead of "fudging" the weight up and getting hurt, you will know to deload and make sure you can do it with proper form to truly count it.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    New to the group. I am Aaron, 29, 5'11" 225lb. Been doing SL for about 6 weeks. I did not start with the bar since I was doing another strength training program prior but I def dropped the weight down and started low weight.

I am now getting to the point to where i have DOMS after working out and having to take longer breaks between sets. When I first started I did do other isolated muscle workouts but not any more. Has anyone noticed that as weight has gone up that form goes to crap? I noticed it this on my last workout that my squats are not as "deep" as then should be. So i am going to drop my weight some and focus on my form and build back up. Biggest reason I noticed this was because I got some pain in my hip from bad from on my last squats.
  • RobertHendrix
    RobertHendrix Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Has anyone noticed that as weight has gone up that form goes to crap? I noticed it this on my last workout that my squats are not as "deep" as then should be. So i am going to drop my weight some and focus on my form and build back up. Biggest reason I noticed this was because I got some pain in my hip from bad from on my last squats.

This is the reason for starting with just the bar. It is not only the time to learn the proper form but to train your body on the form. By the time you start getting to the point you are at you have preformed the move so many timess that your body knows through muscle memory how to do the exercise. I started the program with just the bar and can tell you that I felt pretty rediculas being 400+ lbs and having a background in lifting from college but being in the squat rack lifting just the bar but know that I have worked up to where I am workign out with 315 I am so greatful for all the sessions at the low low weights.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    anyone do any other workouts on top of SL5x5? Such as curls or anything?