lifting at home

Options
For people who lift at home, what brand of barbell do you have? Or, do you use dumbbells instead? I ordered the Cathe high reps DVD and she is using a barbell but also has dumbbells too so I wanted some insight. Thank you! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have both. I don't know the brand of my barbell; I got it at Play-it-Again-Sports, new, about 2 years ago. It is not olympic. The bar itself is 25 lbs and is threaded. I think the 25 lbs bar works well with most beginning Cathe stuff, as opposed to a 40 lb bar. You can always make it heavier as you advance. Also, as you get into training, it may be good to start bargain hunting for squat racks. You won't absolutely need it right now but if you continue you are going to wish you had one. It is good to start keeping an eye out :)
  • Deanna_garnermommy
    Options
    I use dumbells with cathe dvds. I use 8,10,15's ( i just didnt bother buying 12s) and i do have 20 but cant lift those yet due to fear of injury :) I want that high rep dvd. I have muscle max and then use fitnessblender.com's workouts (they have some great ones)
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    If you want to get a barbell and you are seriously interested in lifting I would recommend to buy an olympic barbell with 200 or 300 lbs of weights. If you just buy a regular one, chances are that you need to buy a new one soon as you will probably outgrow it sooner or later. The olympic bar will hold whatever weights you want to lift.
    Just something to think about. And it is wise to buy the best you can afford, this way it will last.
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    If you want to get a barbell and you are seriously interested in lifting I would recommend to buy an olympic barbell with 200 or 300 lbs of weights. If you just buy a regular one, chances are that you need to buy a new one soon as you will probably outgrow it sooner or later. The olympic bar will hold whatever weights you want to lift.
    Just something to think about. And it is wise to buy the best you can afford, this way it will last.

^^^ definitely this ^^^ Get an Olympic bar, or chances are you will just end up "upgrading" one day -- been there, done that :-D
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

Another vote for an Oly bar. It will last forever. If space is a premium, as it is in my home, look out for a 6ft bar instead of the standard 7ft.

Adjustable dumbbells are another worthwhile investment but if you have to choose one over the other a barbell will take you further.
  • Jennacita
    Jennacita Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I bought my bar at Walmart it was about $100. It's not an Olympic bar though.
  • KGTraxler
    Options
    I don't know if I could use the Olympic bar for all the exercises in Cathe high reps that she uses it for. I know she also has dumbbells on the sides which I could do too. Thoughts?
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I could use the Olympic bar for all the exercises in Cathe high reps that she uses it for. I know she also has dumbbells on the sides which I could do too. Thoughts?
    I use the oly bar for all Cathe workouts without any problems
    I have the 6 foot oly bar. It weighs 35lbs, so you should be able to do the exercises
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I'm using a set of cruddy weights we got for free. I figured it doesn't matter what I'm lifting as long as I have the right form and I'm actually doing it. I'm doing my best not to stress out about it.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I've got an Olympic bar that I got from Play it again sports and I have no idea what brand it is. I also have a shorter, lighter Olympic Gold's Gym bar and a couple of standard no name bars that I got off craigslist with a bunch of standard weight plates. My dumbbells are mostly the little adjustable bars with spin locks that I can pick up pretty cheaply at Play it again sports to use with all those standard plates I got. My husband built me a wooden power cage so I use the Olympic bar and weights in there for squats, overhead presses and bench pressing. The standards I use outside of the cage for deadlifts, rows and dumbbell work.