Synthroid and vitamins....

Options
So I confess that I am an Emergen C addict. I take 2 of them a day....typically in the morning. However I am wondering if that is too close to the time I take my pill and wonder if I need to move that to the afternoon. Any thoughts?

Replies

• MzJoy2000
    Options
    I love Emergen-C too! I wish I would take them more regularly. As far as your question goes, though. I have always taken my synthroid/levoxyl right when I get up every morning. Wait at least a half an hour before taking any other pills or even having coffee. It's always been the advice from my doctors over the years too.
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    It is suggested that you wait one hour to eat after taking thyroid meds. I would think that includes vitamins.
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    The labels on my Rx have always said to wait an hour to eat after taking replacement and wait four hours to take vitamins. The vitamins too close to replacement will suppress absorption.
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    Yup, mine say to wait 4 hours too, but lists Calcium and i think Iron is the other main one. I'm sure there are others that could affect it though.
  • ELEANOR43da
    ELEANOR43da Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have always taken Synthroid and had breakfast 1/2 hour later..........too early??
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I've heard others have been told to wait 30 minutes, but in the 19 years of my Hashi's, I've always been told to wait an hour to eat.
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    I wait an hour to eat after taking my medicine, then I take my vitamins several hours later. .
  • MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I've learned in this forum that a lot can affect Synthroid and that the instructions are the bare minimum. If there's nothing wrong with your energy level, then go for it. I was taking my pill with a single gulp of water and then eating a half an hour later and my energy level was horrible. Now I wait a full hour before eating, I take the pill with a full glass of water, and wait until the end of the day to take multivitamins and that's made a world of difference. I've stopped being suspicious of my doctor and accept my dosage as correct :)
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    What works for me and what my doc told me is NOTHING but water for 30 minutes after I take it or 2 hrs. before. I just take it the second my feet hit the floor, take my shower, etc and then have coffee and take my other meds. and fix breakfast.
  • sk8momrbs
    sk8momrbs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Me too, take my pill BEFORE I get out of bed, then shower and get ready before having my coffee about 45 minutes later.
  • Janette3x4
    Janette3x4 Posts: 135
    Options
    Today the Dr told me to wait 20 mins. after taking my synthroid to have coffee or anything to eat. The pharmacist told me to wait 2 hours! I guess there is some confusion!
  • kcvance
    kcvance Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I was always told wait one hour after taking to eat anything, and don't take any afternoon doses for two hours after eating. I guess your stomach should be as empty as possible.

I take mine first thing in the morning with my liquid vitamin d, and then head off to the gym. I don't eat for at least 2 hours after taking my morning dose.
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I find I have less brain fog if I wait at least an hour after taking my pill in the morning before I eat my breakfast. Supplements are spread throughout the day, but I take first with my lunch. Iron before going to bed.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    My endocrinologist says it takes about an hour for Synthroid or Cytomel to leave your stomach. Take your meds on an empty stomach (2 hours after eating) with a full glass of water. Drink nothing but water for an hour, then you can do whatever you want: eat, drink, take supplements, etc.

It can take up to 4 hours for certain vitamins & minerals (especially iron) to leave your stomach, so wait at least that long to take your Synthroid or Cytomel after supplements.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    My endocrinologist says it takes about an hour for Synthroid or Cytomel to leave your stomach. Take your meds on an empty stomach (2 hours after eating) with a full glass of water. Drink nothing but water for an hour, then you can do whatever you want: eat, drink, take supplements, etc.

It can take up to 4 hours for certain vitamins & minerals (especially iron) to leave your stomach, so wait at least that long to take your Synthroid or Cytomel after supplements.

I think this is what it says in the small print if you read the 'fact sheet' that comes with the bottle (in the US).