Find your yoga chart

Hello all!

Was reading the health section of the Huffington Post and found this awesome chart. Helps you figure out the right kind of yoga for you. Thought I'd share it with y'all!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/16/yoga-chart-infographic_n_3915189.html?utm_hp_ref=healthy-living

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Where I live, there aren't many choices in style of yoga. Fortunately, I'm just happy to be in a yoga class. I prefer the teachers who emphasize the process over the ones who emphasize fitness.
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Fun. Thanks for the link!
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Where I live, there aren't many choices in style of yoga. Fortunately, I'm just happy to be in a yoga class. I prefer the teachers who emphasize the process over the ones who emphasize fitness.

I agree with you. Yoga is a spiritual practice so I feel that students who have instructors that only focus on the fitness aspect get cheated. :-/
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Cute. I have a touch of OCD :tongue:
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member

Ha! I had to go back and look at chart! :laugh:

This was kind of right on time for me...recently found out I'm preggers. However, I wonder if I can still do power and ashtanga yoga without the heat? Hmmmm?
  • Ennaelangels
    Ennaelangels Posts: 63 Member
    Love it, thanks!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member

Ha! I had to go back and look at chart! :laugh:

This was kind of right on time for me...recently found out I'm preggers. However, I wonder if I can still do power and ashtanga yoga without the heat? Hmmmm?

Congrats! As long as your teacher knows, I think you can do power/ashtanga without the heat. You might want to check with more than one teacher and see what modifications they offer. My teacher summed it up: don't squish junior - in other words, don't do any poses that would put pressure on you lower abdomen. I've never done prenatal training, so I'm not fit to give advice.
  • I love the, "are you overwhelmed by this chart," shortcut, hehe. I want to get into Ashtanga yoga and I like Power yoga. I've heard that some Ashtanga yoga is really hard for beginners, though I don't know if I'm still beginner level or not. I'm probably pretty close, ha.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Wouldn't it be great if each yoga style circle on the chart was a link to a page on that style.
  • That's a fun chart. I didn't realize there are that many styles of yoga. I only do yoga from dvds and some don't even say what type of yoga it is. Like now, I borrowed Stacy McCarthy's Yoga Body Hip Opening Flow from the library. But the cover doesn't say anything about what kind of yoga it is. Loving the workout, but what now I'm wondering what exactly am I even doing. :laugh:
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    hehe that's a fun chart! I love Ashtanga but I don't think I'll ever get up at 4am lol. I thought the divide between hot yoga vs bikrams was pretty funny. thanks for the share:)