Overhead Press

Options
OMG - this is so hard!!

I know this will make me sound like such a weed, but I could not do overhead press at the gym last night with just an empty 10kg bar. My neck and shoulders hurt today which clearly means I was doing it all wrong!! I think I will go right down to 5kg or something silly just to get the form right.

OUCH!

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I hate this lift. That is all. :sad:
  • Madhouseof5
    Madhouseof5 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I had OHP yesterday and I find it the hardest one so far. Strangely, no aches or stiffness in my upper half, just my quads from squats. Maybe that means I'm doing it wrong?! My bar is light but I lifted 15kg for my OHP yesterday.
  • norrishbex
    norrishbex Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I hate the OHP too! It's my worst lift by a long long long way!

I used a broom handle to practice my form duing my rest breaks, and it has made a huge difference when I am actually lifting with weight.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I love the broom handle idea! I should try that before tying the actual lift. I'm embarrassed to try it at the gym.
  • Jit7
    Jit7 Posts: 75
    Options
    So glad I'm not the only one then!! Still a bit sore today ;o( but I've been stretching loads

Back on workout A tonight thankfully

The broom idea sounds good - I will give it a go.

Thanks x
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    It's my weakest lift as well. But I was finally able to add a little weight to the Oly bar and get beyond 5x5 @45 pounds! When I first started I used a 20 pound bar then slowly added weight each week. It's a process.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I was supposed to go up to 45 today and I really tried, but I couldn't even do 3 on the first set, so I went back down to 40. This is a hard one, I hope I can actually progress.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    It gets better, granted not as fast as the other lifts but i realized my lowest lifts were OHP and BP.
    Been stuck at 55 on OHP for 2 darn weeks, bench finally moved to 75 this week.

I read somewhere on SL's website that when stuck at a weight we can do 3x3 instead of 5x5 once or twice, normally this seems to get the weight moving. It worked well for me when I was stuck on bench, I might give it a try for OHP as well :ohwell:
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck at 45lbs on OHP for 2 weeks and I still struggle to finish that last set of 5. ARRRRG! BUT I moved up on my deadlift and bench so I'm a happy camper.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck at 45lbs on OHP for 2 weeks and I still struggle to finish that last set of 5. ARRRRG! BUT I moved up on my deadlift and bench so I'm a happy camper.

Have you tried progressing using smaller plates? like the 1.25 or 2.5lb plates instead of the 5lbs?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    when I started OHP i was so weak from bad back history that I could only lift sixteen pounds.

took me a YEAR to get to 60 pounds, and i just set a PR recently of a 5 rep set of 65.

it IS hard, BUT even more satisfying when you DO progress.

I suggest picking up some fractional plates and add slowly like Joy said. a 5 pound jump in OHP can be a LOT.

I am also a person that doesnt havvvvve to do things exactly they way a program says, for example, if I go up in weight and I can only get 3 reps in a row that day, I have NO problem doing 8 sets of 3, then trying for 6 sets of 4 the next time, then 5x5.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I found out that the little metal things that you screw on the end of the bar to keep the plates on, weight 1.5 lbs a piece... So I have been lifting 3 lbs heavier than I thought all this time. :laugh:
    20.jpg