Flu Shot & Tdap

Options
Jem411
Jem411 Posts: 46 Member
Hi Ladies,

I went in for my usual bi-weekly exam yesterday (27 weeks..yay!) and my Dr. asked if I would be getting the Flu shot. I have usually passed on this, simply because I got it once a few years ago and felt pretty sick after. Now, that isn't to say that I wasn't already coming down with something, but it freaks me out. I told her I would pass...she urged me to re-think my decision since I would be having my baby at the end of December, right in the middle of flu season. Great.

I also heard from a G-friend that some hospitals won't even let friends/family in to see that baby if they haven't had one. My question is this:

Have you all had one, while pregnant? I know it would be good to help "arm" the baby after delivery, and I do have a 4-year old pre-schooler that won't help the germ factor (plan to keep him at arms length and have him wash up every time he handles the baby). I just can't help but feel completely on the fence about this.

Oh and to add to my craziness, she wants to also do the Tdap at my next visit. I was planning on doing the whooping caugh after he was born, but while pregnant? Am I crazy for worrying about this? -hormone central-

Replies

• ajzmann
    ajzmann Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    This actually is the subject of a lot of controversy (going along with the vaccination controversy).

The reason why they do the tdapp while you are still pregnant is for what I believe they call the coccoon effect: it will protect not only you from whooping cough, but also the baby until its first round of shots.
  • Jem411
    Options
    Right, and I think all the "talk" is totally the reason why I can't make a decision. I was never like this with my first...I think I am just freaking myself out. I start getting online and then I'm sorry that I ever started to research it. lol

It doesn't help that I was just talking to a client, who swears her son had uncontrollable seizures after getting the Tdap. My 4-year old is up to date on all of his shots, and I won't hesitate with this one, either. I think its just the whole pregnancy thing that is confusing me.
  • lovekohl
    lovekohl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    The cocoon effect is actually when you vaccinate everyone but the baby hoping that if no one around the baby gets sick, the baby will be safe too. The new recommendation of getting the pertussis booster while pregnant is to protect the baby on top of using the cocoon effect since you'll pass some antibodies to the baby while pregnant. Babies aren't able to get their first pertussis booster until they're six months old, so doing everything to protect them before that is so important. I was caught off guard when my doctor recommended the Tdap the last time I was pregnant, but I did it anyway.

Personally, I believe in vaccination and boosters, so I got the Tdap while pregnant (around 30 weeks since that's when you're at a peak time for passing immunity to the baby, according to my doctor) and I will be getting a flu shot soon to help protect my infant (she was born in July). To me, it's just not worth the "what if I don't do it and something happens".
  • stephysd
    stephysd Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I have gotten the flu shot when pregnant with both of my sons. I worked at the hospital and did not even hesitate to think about getting it. At this moment, me and the boys are scheduled for our shots in October. If you have any questions or concerns, don't look on the internet. Just give your doctor a call and have them send you out some literature. If you have a specific concern let them know what that is so that they can address it.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Vaccines are tough and very controversial. I personally chose not to do either during pregnancy and we never get the flu shot. I would read the inserts and peer reviewed studies and make the best decision for your family, but I wouldn't blindly take advice from a doc without literature to back it up.

Vaccines are my least favorite part of parenting, lol. It is the only subject that I have put hours and hours of research into and still not feel confident in my decisions. I am for vaccinating, but think we could do MUCH better studying the safety and effectiveness, especially for pregnant women. Hopefully we will in the future. Until then I will have to hope I made the right decisions on the vaccines we do get and nurse by babies for as long as possible to protect them when they are small. :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    bump to think about
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I got both done and I am 30 wks, 5 days pregnant. I have a 3 year old in preschool and she is forever bringing germs into the house.

I have epilepsy and have NEVER had a seizure due to a vaccination; however, that does NOT mean it can't happen as all cases and circumstances are different... I trust my doctors with everything I have as they saved my life a number of times. So, if she recommended it, I'm doing it. That may seem crazy to some but to have multiple grand mal seizures in a single day for nearly three years of my life certainly changed my views on going with what my doctor says (:
  • Andrea3030
    Options
    I am actually sad I couldn't get the flu vaccine while I was still pregnant (she came 5 weeks early). Now I will make sure everyone in the family gets it this year to protect her. I did get the DTap at my 32 week appt.
  • ajzmann
    ajzmann Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I just re-read my post and am annoyed i misspelled cocoon.

In any event, I think it's really just a personal decision. I felt better about my decision after I did some independent research.
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    In 2010 when carrying my fourth son I did have the swine flu shot. This year carrying my fifth child I have had the whooping cough/diptheria shot, but haven't been offered a flu shot this time. If I had been offered one I would take it. My now three year old has been offered the flu vaccine next week and will take it.

I don't believe the UK government would fund them if they weren't beneficial and I've not had any side effects that didn't clear up after three or four days.

The MMR jab was once controversial, but all my kids have had it and their boosters (as have I) and they are all perfect, intelligent children.

It's a personal decision.
  • Kristy528
    Kristy528 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I was just in at the doctors this past Friday (was almost 11 weeks then). She brought the flu shot up to me, which I told her I would be getting it. I have gotten the flu shot the past couple years prior and think its a good idea to have while pregnant. The last thing i want to get is the flu while pregnant. She also asked me about the DTAP shot and said it was strongly recommended that I get one as well as my bf and anyone else that would be spending a lot of time around the baby. I believe here in PA she said they vaccinate the baby at 3 months. I had just been giving the DTAP shot in April 2012 so i need to check at my next appointment to see if they suggest I will need another one when they time comes. If so I will do it and plan on looking into my partner as well. I would sooner get the vaccinations then risk my childs life.
  • rachael116
    Options
    I'm getting the flu shot in the next few weeks or so and plan on getting the DTaP later on in the pregnancy. My doctor recommended both and I agree with her. I take public transportation into work, so am exposed to goodness-knows how many germs, and do not want to risk getting the flu. I did however, do a lot of research on the different types of flu vaccines that are available, and I plan on getting the one that is thimerosal free, just to be on the safe side. I also plan on asking (making, lol) my husband and whoever else will be spending lots of time with the baby, that they get both as well.
  • Jem411
    Options
    Thank you all, so very much for your feedback! I am starting to feel much better about getting the shots. I work at a bank (cash/germs and all), so I think it would be in my and my kiddo's best interest to get vaccinated...
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I've always been on the fence regarding flu shots (I'd get them if work gave them to me but would never make an apt on my own). At the urging of my Reproductive Endocrinologist (who I adore) and my OB I did get mine last week. I felt great, no side effects other than a sore arm.

I'm current on my Tdap because we're required to have them at work (I'm at a school).

Honestly, I think it's pretty harmless and more benefit than risk.