Nutrition for Runners (And recipes! WOO HOO!)

Options
rduhlir
rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
I think I had this topic going before, but it got burried and can't find it now. So restarting it.

Nutrition is a very important aspect to look at when becoming a runner. Most people at first take it up as a form of exercise to aid in weight loss. And like clock work, there are nutrion rules that every new runner breaks. So what then is a good balance of nutrition for runners? We will go over that, plus tips from Runner's World, running coaches, and top marathon runners as we conversate on the never ending topic of "What should I be eating?"

1. Eat Real Food
"Why, Becky, what do you mean? I eat real food? See?!"

We are talking whole foods such as fish, chicken, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy, fruit. Have you ever compared cup of homemade pasta sauce with that of a canned? Okay, true, even with homemade pasta sauce you use crushed tomatoes. But here is the kicker, you can use reduced salt or no salt added tomatoes and control the salt yourself. But, if you are super pro cook, you can use fresh tomatoes and make it practically process free! Plus fresh pasta sauce is so much better! And just think, I didn't even touch on the added sugar that is in canned sauces!

2. Choose quality carbs
"But I am on a low carb diet!"

Okay, so starting out on the C25K program doesn't require a lot of carbs. But it will. And if you are low carbing then tailor your diet so that you are bringing back carbs as your running increases. Why? Because carbs are the fuels for runners. Without carbs, eventually you will crash and burn. This is called hitting the wall, or as in some of us now believe the Blerch finally catching up with you. Be smart about the carbs. Whole grains, fruits and vegetables are the best places to find carbs. Ditch the cookies, grab carrots. Not only are they great sources of carbs, they help with your eyes, are filled with fiber, and compared to that 150 calorie cookie, you get to eat 3 cups worth! What! Just make sure your skin doesn't turn orange...well, unless you happen to be running in a Color Run, then by all means....carrot away!

Other good sources of carbs for runners: beans, lentils, greek yogurt, all fruits, nuts, whole grain breads, wild rice, etc...

3. Write it down

Pay attention to your food diary on here. Did your run today feel different from the other day's? Believe it or not, it could be from what you either ate yesterday or today. Different foods can affect your runs, so pay attention to what you are eating and when.

4. Indulge...on occasion

Studies have shown that people who occasionally give into an indulgence have a higher chance of maintaining an eating regime than those who cut out completely. So allow yourself a cupcake now and then, just not everyday.

5. Drink Deliberately

The FDA and USDA, along with the several universities and respected medical campuses have all agreed....the 8 glasses of water is misleading. Believe it or not, it could be more or less depending on your body make up. One person might be able to get away with only drinking 5 glasses of fluids verse someone else who needs 10! The key is to study your body! Do you sweat a lot during your runs? Chances are you need more than 8 glasses. But remember, you can hydrate by food as well. So if you find yourself struggling to hit your fluid intakes, allow food to help you out. Watermelon and cucumbers are both good foods to help!

6. Subtitue smartly!

Simple swaps can help your GI out! Here are just a few.

- Olive oil dressings for creamy dressings: Kraft Ranch Dressing: 148 Calories, 15g of fat; Kraft Fat-Free Zesty Italiain: 15 calories, 0g of fat. Need I say more?
- Swap out whole milk for 1%: You save calories, but still get some of the good fats from milk.
- Swap out sugary fruit drinks for club soda with 100% fruit juice: I personally don't like fuzzy fruit drinks, but you can cut calories by making your own fuzzies. Once classic example: Cranberry juice and club soda.
- Whole grain bread for white: The whole grain breads can have almost 5 grams more fiber than white bread, helping you to feel fuller longer.
- Omega-3 eggs for standard eggs: You can find these both regular and organic. I prefer organic (preferably free range) as the feed is enhanced with naturally occuring omega-3s.
- Dark beer for light beer: Dark beer has more antioxidents than light beer, and actually takes longer for the body to digest over light beer. But remember, drink responsibly.
- Roasted Chicken for Deli Meat: When you go to the store tonight to pick up that roasted chicken for dinner, grab two! Use the second to slice your own lunch meat! Or save even more sodium by roasting your own.
- Swap in part skim mozzarella for cheddar: you save on the calories!
- Swap your veggies around: Dont' just stick to the celery. Remember to try and get 5 different colors every day!

7. So what should I have in my pantry then?
- Grains: Bulgur, pearl barly, oatmeal, brown rice, wild rice, quinoa
- Olive Oil: You can use it as salad dressing, dipping sauce, to saute with, to grill with, and the fats in Olive Oil have shown to improve heart health (remember, not all fats are bad).
- Beans: Not only are they great carb sources, but they have protein too! So you fuel and repair!
- Fresh or dried herbs: Replace salt with herbs! For example, instead of using salt to flavor your eggs tomorrow morning use some fresh or dried rosemary!
- Eggs: Protein! Worried about the cholesterol? Do what I do, do one whole egg and then one part egg whites. So you still get some the nutrients from an egg yoke but cut down on the calories and total cholesterol of the meal.
- Vegetables, vegetables and more vegetables: Frozen or fresh! Try to stay away from the canned items, you won't believe how much salt can be in them things!
- Canned tomatoes: Spaghetti! Just make sure you get the no salt added cans.
- Dried Fruit and nuts: Just watch the portions, the calories in these can add up fast!

8. Okay, so then how do I balance this all out?

The ideal balance for runners is 50-65% carbs, 10-35% protein, and 20-35% fats. Now this will adjust depending on what your goals are as far as running. The more you run the more carbs you will need. My personal balance is 45/25/30...so 45% carbs, 25% fat and 30% protein. This is what works for me. Everyone is different so you will have to play with the numbers to see what works for you.

9. Well....show me an example?

Okay...you want a good runner recipe, here is one I use all the time:

(This is one I use during spring, but you can do it when ever, just buy frozen asparagus instead of fresh)

Spring Vegetable Couscous with Chicken
- 3 Tbsp Unsalted Butter (or you can use vegetable spread and save on the fat and calories)
- 4 Green onions or scallions, white and green parts separated, thinly sliced
- 2 wide slices of lemon zest, plus 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 lb fresh or frozen asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup couscous (dry)
- Leg and Thigh meat from 1 rotisserie chicken (no skin!), (use the rest to make lunch meat!)
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, (or 1 Tbsp dried)

In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-high. Add scallion whites and cook, stirring constantly, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add lemon zest and 1 1/4 cups water and season with salt and pepper. Cover pan and bring liquid to a boil, then add asparagus and peas. Return to a boil and stir in couscous. Add chicken and remove pan from heat; cover and let sit 7 minutes. Add lemon juice and parsley and season with salt and pepper. Fluff couscous with a fork and serve.

Makes 4 servings (and they are big servings!)

Calories: 478; Carbs: 45g, Fat: 19g, Protein: 32g, Sodium: 79 grams (I leave out the added salt)
(These are based on the items I use, your nutrition information could differ)

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You should start writing beginning runner's articles for Runner's World.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie

Makes 4 servings
    Calories: 261
    Carbs: 39g
    Fat: 9g
    Protein: 13g
    Potassium: 527mg
    Fiber: 5g

Ingredients:
    -3 bananas
    -3 cups of almond milk
    -3 tablespoons of peanut butter
    -3 tablespoons of honey
    -1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    -1 cup ice

Put all ingredients into blender and blend until smooth. One serving is 12oz.
  • toni_mmh
    toni_mmh Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You should start writing beginning runner's articles for Runner's World.

I agree! and you too Varda!