catfive1
catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
What do you think?

http://ow.ly/pfptD #crossfit

Replies

• belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I think it's dangerous, particularly in the first trimester. There are plenty of exercises that you can do while pregnant without risking anything. Just my $.02 though. : )
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    If it's something you've done for years, your muscles will be strong already, so I can't see why it would be an issue - just like Paula Radcliffe and her marathon training schedule when she was pregnant - but I am NOT a medical professional, and I'd take my midwife's advice (not randoms on the internet lol!) - my understanding of the crossfit woman was that her medical advisers were totally unbothered by her doing it as it is something she's been doing for many years. I wouldn't get pregnant and suddenly decide to go from being a couch potato to a marathon runner or weightlifter though, that is very different.

and re trimesters - I'd have thought 1st is actually less risky than last, when the amount of relaxin might cause issues with over flexibility (for you not the baby)?
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    She's my hero... And she said she's been doing that stuff for 2 1/2 years.

I bet she will have an easy labor and will leave the hospital in her pre-pregnancy pants.
  • pintobean
    pintobean Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    As long as you know what you're doing and have no medical conditions that will cause more harm than good then, it is ok. I lifted all through my first trimester almost to the middle of 2nd trimester and did treadmill. I was carrying twins. But, I stopped after a slight medical issue that came up (unrelated to lifting/exercise) and once I was cleared I didn't continue. I regret not continuing. There were some lifts I could not do though...inverted row being one of them.

Here's Cassandra Forsyth's site and she blogged about her lifting throughout her pregnancy and some other pregnant mommies

http://www.cassandraforsythe.com/

ETA: I carried my twins full term without any problems :)
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I think she is beautiful and say more power to her!

I'm a nurse who works in a newborn ICU, I rarely take care of babies whose mom's exercised and took care of themselves while pregnant.

I might not agree if she were new to CrossFit, but her body was used to that routine before her pregnancy.

I commented on the article and said if the public wants to be outraged, they can be outraged at the moms who use drugs when they're pregnant.