What Exercises can I do??

Options
I am over 330 pounds - I have osteoarthritis in my knees, and according to my doctor my knees are bone on bone. :cry:
In fact, the doctor has declared me DISABLED because of the condition of my knees and the chronic pain I have in my low back, hips, ankles and feet.

I need to exercise to help with my weight loss but everything I have tried causes me a lot of pain. :cry:
I can't pedal a bike because I cannot stand to bend my knees that far (it also makes my hips hurt). I have also tried to use a Bio-Dex and a Nu-Step machine at the gym and one hurts my knees and the other hurts mu hips.
I cannot work out in the pool because getting OUT of the pool is murder on my hips and knees. {The pool does not have a sling-lift for handicap people}.
Going up steps are out of the question because of my knees (I can hear them grind together when I try to go up stairs).
I can't walk as exercise for very long because I can't stand to be on my feet for more than 15 minutes at a time . The Elliptical machine bothers my knees and hips, and the Treadmill also cause me pain in my feet, ankles, and knees. :cry:
That does not leave much in the way of aerobic exercise.:brokenheart: The "Personal Trainers" I have spoken to do not have any suggestions for me. All of them I have spoken to have looked at me with a dumfounded look on their face when I ask them what exercises someone my size, with my arthritis conditions, can do without a lot of pain that causes me to be "crippled" for days after the exercise session. They seem to have no clue of what to do when it comes to working with people like me.

I have noticed that the muscles in my thighs are starting to atrophy because of inactivity. :cry:
I do not want to become any more handicap than I already am [I have to use a cane to walk now and on some days a walker].

I know that "diet" alone is not going to take me to a healthy weight. I'm starting to get discouraged and a little depressed.
HELP!?

Replies

• 1802go
    1802go Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Started 375
    My knees are gone too!! I understand I use hand 2lb weights started only 3 reps once a day now I am at 10 reps took a month. I do isometric exercise squeeze release 30 min started at 10. Bottom, calves, abs, mild stretching sitting . People in wheel chairs exercise with what they have so I figured I could too. I:wink::drinker: :flowerforyou: f I can get myself to do it.
  • incredibleshrinkingjackie
    Options
    in january i weighed 398 lbs. last october my knee surgeon said i was going to need a knee replacement very soon, but i was too heavy to have it done. sssoooooo............... i started exercising and eating healthy. i also started the process for weight loss surgery. from january to may when i was approved, i lost 24 lbs. i did it by walking. and it hurt. and i walked more. and it hurt. but i was noticing that it hurt less the more i walked. so walk, take a break, walk, take a break. i did it at wal-mart, but a mall or meijers or any big store would work. then when it got warm i walked outside. it hurt to go to my mailbox and i had to stand there for a minute before walking back to my apartment. but i kept at it.

i had the gastric sleeve in june and have lost an additional 60 lbs. i couldn't wait to get cleared for exercise. at 6 weeks out i joined a gym. i had never even been in a gym/fitness center before. the pool at the gym has steps going down and a ladder, so it was much easier to get in and out of. check out smaller fitness clubs attached to hotels. that's what mine is. it is a Four Seasons connected to a Ramada Inn. they also have a small workout room and i started walking on the treadmill there. it is much easier on the knees because it is flat and even, not like walking on a road or sidewalk.

oh and see your doctor/knee surgeon and ask for synthetic cartilage shots. the brand i get are called Euflexxa, but there is also Synvisc that i know of. they are wonderful. they fill up the knee joint with cartilage-like material and really stop the pain when walking. i had mine in October and the pain still isn't back.

it all worked together for me. the shots, the walking, the weight loss, the healthy eating and the wls surgery. i am down 84 lbs in 9 months. but i have worked for it. you can do this too. i know you can. add me as a friend if you would like.
  • lindseydavis07
    lindseydavis07 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Try getting in the pool with low steps or easy access! It is probably your best bet, it reduces stress on the joints and takes pressure off your knees :) I’ve seen people at the same weight and same knee/hip conditions work wonders in the pool!!

Good luck!
  • adlace
    adlace Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    look on youtube for seated workouts. There are a lot and some pretty challenging. I do them when my knees flare up or other weird pain days flare up. Maybe light weights to hold while doing upper body stuff makes it a little harder. I think you will do fine if you just watch the calories closely and move as much as you can. Weight will come off and you will feel better. I feel better most days after losing 30 some pounds and I have not gone "hard core" on exercise yet.
  • SucculentGoddess
    SucculentGoddess Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My left knee is really stuffed and have lower back pain too
    On land i walk for a maximum of 6 minutes
    But in water I can walk for an hour
    I am now doing this 3 times per week
    (I would do it daily but the pool is a 120km round trip and it is the sheer economics of affording the petrol and heated pool entry.
    (it is the last day of wintere here in Australia incase you are wondering about the heated pool idea)

I love the support i receive in water
    I am also currently doing my rehab excersises in the pool too
  • boswell0617
    Options
    I know it is not always an option, but water aerobics are incredible! I have a bad knee that had screws put in it in high school, and I have some lower back problems. I am also over 330, and I did water aerobics even throughout an entire pregnancy. I never had problems with my knee, or any joints for that matter. It was the best exercise ever, and I loved every minute of it. It is also great b/c it keeps your body temp lower in the water so you are doing aerobic exercises without sweating. What else could you ask for?