Lost Mojo, Surviving a Marathon?

Options
TriLifter
TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
So, I'm three weeks and one day out from my (first) marathon and my head and heart are no longer into running.

I don't know what happened...one day I'm running a beautiful 17-miler and the next I'm dreading going out for 6. I've attempted a 20-miler twice--first one I got to 14 miles and the second one I got to 8. Both times the top of my left foot started to hurt and I had to stop (first time it was at 11 miles and I had to hobble/run the final three back to my house). Next day foot was fine both times. I did shorter runs in betweent he two 20-mile attempts with no problem. I'm beginning to think my issue is psychosomatic; that I am mentally over running and am looking for ways out.

I have one more chance this weekend to try for 20--after that it's taper time. What can I do to get my mojo back for this weekend? Thanks guys!

-- Leena

Replies

• thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Here are some things I do when I've lost that "runnin'" feeling or things I've read about other people doing:

- Buy myself some new music. I tend to use music like a "treat" on runs, breaking it out when I'm starting to fade. New music can be a real pick-me up.
    - Dedicate a mile to someone you're grateful for. Think about what you admire/love about them and run that mile for them.
    - Take a break. Sometimes just taking a day or two off from running is enough to remind me how much I love it.
    - Run somewhere new, scenic. Doesn't matter if it takes me 45 minutes to get there. Some fresh air or trail running can be really rejuvenating.
    - Buy some cute new running gear. Nothing like sporting a new pair of shorts to get me going again.

Hope one or two of these helps you get back on (mental) track Leena!

Happy running,
    Cathy
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    This happens sometimes as you get near the end of your training cycle. Finding the mental discipline to get your runs done even when you are not feeling it is an essential part of making the transition from "distance runner" to "marathoner".
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Didn't even attempt my 20-miler this weekend. I wasn't feeling it. I'm so over running right now it isn't even funny. I'm just going to show up at the marathon and wing it. Worst case scenario, I don't get my 4 hour time goal--I've made peace with myself and am fine with walking as much as I need and finishing whenever I do.
  • sammyneb
    Options
    I feel ya..my first marthon is 4 weeks away. I have gotten my long runs in.I have run two 20 milers and this weekend I'm set for a 22 miler. But my legs are so tired....running has become a chore! But I believe that is what we are suppose to feel like..well at least the tired part :) I have felt very defeated on a lot of my runs these last two weeks...but I just keep pushing on, not because I have a real strong time goal for my marathon (I started with hoping to finish in 4 hours, now I'm hoping to finish in 4:10, but really I'll be happy if I roll in under 4:30) but because it is on my schedule (I'm kind of anal like that :) ) hang in there, you are almost there!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I feel ya..my first marthon is 4 weeks away. I have gotten my long runs in.I have run two 20 milers and this weekend I'm set for a 22 miler. But my legs are so tired....running has become a chore! But I believe that is what we are suppose to feel like..well at least the tired part :) I have felt very defeated on a lot of my runs these last two weeks...but I just keep pushing on, not because I have a real strong time goal for my marathon (I started with hoping to finish in 4 hours, now I'm hoping to finish in 4:10, but really I'll be happy if I roll in under 4:30) but because it is on my schedule (I'm kind of anal like that :) ) hang in there, you are almost there!

Wow

" But my legs are so tired....running has become a chore!"
    +
    " have felt very defeated on a lot of my runs these last two weeks"
    +
    "because it is on my schedule (I'm kind of anal like that :)"

Those statements make me wonder if you're overtraining.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Your at your breaking point and what is done is done. Now you need to cross train, strength train and keep logging some miles even if it's not long ones. If your strong you can push through.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    I went through something similar a few weeks back where I fell behind on my training plan by about a week, and tried catching up over the course of a couple days. Each run felt like I was punching a time card. I finally realized playing catch up was wreaking havoc on my passion for it, so I decided to write off a couple of runs and start fresh the next week. Best move I could've made, I've stuck with the plan since, and even added in a few extra days/miles because I felt good and could handle it.

I hope you're able to get your mojo back and kick Hartfords *kitten* :)

Pete
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Yes I feel this too. I am a 10 miler. I say take a break. For most of us I think running is our thoughtful time by ourselves. Take a break join a yoga class or just walk/hike. Enjoy. When your body is ready your mind will lead it. Just never quit. you are an athlete and you will get through this. If you never run another Marathon that is ok. Run for the reasons that you started to in the beginning Have fun.

Patsy.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I know that a marathon is exponentially harder, but I'm four weeks out from my first half. I'm enjoying some of my runs some of the time, but mostly I'm just getting them done and praying to not embarrass myself during the run.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Feeling any better?

I am exactly 1 month out as of today from my next marathon was feeling the same burnout for about a month or so. Then I hurt my foot and took 9 days off completely. I've been back to running for about 2 weeks now and somehow my mojo is back. Looks like those 9 days off weren't just what my foot needed to recover but also what my motivation needed too.

Hope you've refound your mojo too.

After this race though I am taking a damn break from marathoning for a while and cutting back to halves! :drinker:
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it may be overtraining. I felt the same way before my marathon in June. I was tired all the time, my muscles were always sore, I had insomnia, my pace was getting worse, and the thought of running was too much to think about sometimes. I didn't rest like my body was telling me and forced myself to "suck it up" thinking that the awful feeling was just part of training.

On marathon day, I was tired before the race even started. By mile 20, all I could do was check to make sure my feet were still moving for the last 10K. It took 40 minutes longer to run my marathon than I'd planned and when I finished, I felt terrible. I felt awful for nearly a month after the marathon as well.

The best thing you can do is rest. Maybe take a few extra days off if you can. I know this is tough given where you are in your training program. Even a couple days off can help. If you are still going to power through the runs, hydrating really well the day before, the day of, and the day after can help. Also, carb loading the right way can help.

After the marathon, it took two months for me to even want to run again. I think that, once my foot injury heals, I'm going back to halfs.
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I undertrained for my full, due to my plantaar faciitis in my right foot. I feel dread thinking of running, this has set for about a week now. This is my 3rd failed attempt to train for a full, I'm sucking it up, I haven't cancelled yet, but I think that if I could have trained properly, I'd push myself. You already went through the training, I feel maybe a few days off could help mentally and physically.
    I think I could push myself for a full, but it would wreak havoc on my foot, it starts hurting at about mile 11 so far, and slow down, walk, stretch and still tightness.
    So I say, if you're trained, maybe a few days worth of rejuvenation might do the trick!
    good luck!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Running is deeply psychological. The gargantuan distances we run as 'long runs' require even more effort mentally than they do physically.

Just think about how far you have progressed, and try visualise the finish of your marathon, the euphoria that goes with it and avoid counting miles...thats akin to watching the clock on a long drawn out day at work.

Listen to music if you enjoy running to music, and perhaps vary where you run? Also, you could run with other people in a club who do weekend ' long runs' for added motivation.

Breaking the ' mental ' barrier is every bit as important as developing the physical endurance required to run a marathon, and I speak from experience, I finished my first marathon recently and I think all of us who have will have experienced what you are feeling right now to some degree.

Just think of how hard you have worked, how badly you want it, and how amazing you will feel to be in that exclusive 1% club of people on the PLANET who have ran 26.2 miles.

Just don't give up, and the very very best of luck!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Running is deeply psychological. The gargantuan distances we run as 'long runs' require even more effort mentally than they do physically.

Just think about how far you have progressed, and try visualise the finish of your marathon, the euphoria that goes with it and avoid counting miles...thats akin to watching the clock on a long drawn out day at work.

Listen to music if you enjoy running to music, and perhaps vary where you run? Also, you could run with other people in a club who do weekend ' long runs' for added motivation.

Breaking the ' mental ' barrier is every bit as important as developing the physical endurance required to run a marathon, and I speak from experience, I finished my first marathon recently and I think all of us who have will have experienced what you are feeling right now to some degree.

Just think of how hard you have worked, how badly you want it, and how amazing you will feel to be in that exclusive 1% club of people on the PLANET who have ran 26.2 miles.

Just don't give up, and the very very best of luck!

Agreed. Also want to add that a 4 hour time is a pretty lofty goal for a first marathon, regardless of the pace you are used to training at. This may be contributing to some of your burn out. I think your idea to just go out and run it without worrying about your pace is a wise one. Get that first one under your belt. Then, knowing all that is involved in training for a full marathon, you will be better prepared to focus on a time goal for future marathons.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    your post is ME EXACTLY. I am so over running. I missed a HUGE chunk of training last month because of my wedding/honeymoon and i'm SUPER nervous about my Marathon coming up on Saturday. I don't want to run at all. I didn't even "taper" I've run once in the past week. it's terrible. Just want my marathon to be here so I can stop obsessing about how bad i'm going to do.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Agree with many on here - and seconding many.

1. end of training cycle it's normal
    2. its mental - try splitting the 20 into an AM 12 and PM 8
    3. overtraining
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    oh no :( you haven't gone over 17 miles?

You're going to really hate running during your marathon :)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    2. its mental - try splitting the 20 into an AM 12 and PM 8

This is not the same as a single 20 mile run.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    re " Both times the top of my left foot started to hurt and I had to stop"... I've had this happen to me and it was my sneakers being tied either too tight or the sneakers were too old. Can you go to a running store in the next week and have them double check how you tie your shoelaces and/or whether your sneakers have too much wear on them? Just a thought.

Good luck on your marathon!! Think positive!! You can do it!! :)
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your run!
    I really dont think I have much to add to the advice so far. I ran a marathon in April, and, although I did not realize it at the time, I think I was going through exactly the same as you - my brain lost interest in running a few weeks too early!

I think a little rest (but not too much!) will really help. I'm not sure whether its too late for new shoes now - I know you need to break them in before the marathon. Also, deoending on howyour training has gone, a little walk break in the race won't be a disaster - just listen to your body.

Once again - good luck! My gut feel is you are a bit tired after training so hard. You'llbe fine, and in fact, you'llenjoy most of thr race and the crowd will help you through.