How many nuts a day?

Options
I don't very often eat nuts, even though I know I should. I just don't know what the minimum that I should be eating is. I don't want to go overboard because of the calories and its not my favorite food, but I also don't get a lot of good fats in my diet. :( Recs?

Replies

• shanti_777
    shanti_777 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Flax seeds are pretty good, not too calorific and provide goods fats, as well as ripe avocados, hemp oil, or raw soaked almonds
  • ednacahill1
    Options
    I use nuts like about 10 peanuts to sprinkle on salads or in stir fry. I use a TBSP of sunflower seeds the same way. Some times I use the chili flavored peanuts to make veggie version of taco salad.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I like 10 as a snack. Almonds or cashews. I have 10 with a mug of tea at 3.30 'nibbles' time. But up to 20 are probably fine if you have the spare cals.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    LOL. ummmm. Sorry. I've been spending too much time in the chit chat area. I don't have a set rule...whatever I'm in the mood for and fits my day.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I think if your goal is to add protein be generous, to lose weight skimp a little.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Would like to eat more nuts and seeds as they're so nutritious but currently I eat about six almonds and two walnut halves most days, have recently added 15g of pumpkin seeds too.
  • cia_ray
    cia_ray Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    maybe 10 a day: mix of almonds, pecans and hazels. Excellent snack when mixed with a bit of fruit (fresh or dried). I was a bit worried about adding to the extra cals in but haven't gained any weight since doing so (guess the satisfaction keeps me away from the chocolates!)
  • cia_ray
    cia_ray Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    home made nut bars are also very good: there are a lot of raw &/or vegan blogs with fruit and nut bar recipes (along the lines of raw bite, nakd etc)