New to Group

Options
yustick
yustick Posts: 238 Member
Hi! I joined MFP and started becoming healthier on 02/13/12. I lost about 100 pounds in 2012. Simply eating less and moving more. But, that pretty much stopped working in 2013. Desperate, I went to my Doctor who referred me to a weight management group within the health system, Henry Ford. They put me on a 650 calorie ketogenic diet. After 7 weeks, I learned I can't do this, the longest I followed the program was 10 consecutive days. But this was long enough for me to learn the benefits of ketosis. Now, I am trying to go keto without the low calorie restriction.

The best part of ketosis was hunger control. Before, especially after long and intense workouts, I would feel like I was starving and end up eating my exercise calories or more.

If you have any suggestions or advice from your experience, I would appreciate it.

Replies

• pennyscabin
    pennyscabin Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Wow...I don't think I could manage on such a limited caloric intake! You have already accomplished so much! I believe you will find the support you need here. So many have successfully lost the weight. Most who have lost a lot of weight say that it is marathon...not a sprint. Hang in there. I'm sending you a friend request. I am fairly new (late August) and I have only lost a few pounds so far. I seem to have a really hard time losing since I've gotten older...but I am committed. Welcome!!!
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Hi! I joined MFP and started becoming healthier on 02/13/12. I lost about 100 pounds in 2012. Simply eating less and moving more. But, that pretty much stopped working in 2013. Desperate, I went to my Doctor who referred me to a weight management group within the health system, Henry Ford. They put me on a 650 calorie ketogenic diet. After 7 weeks, I learned I can't do this, the longest I followed the program was 10 consecutive days. But this was long enough for me to learn the benefits of ketosis. Now, I am trying to go keto without the low calorie restriction.

The best part of ketosis was hunger control. Before, especially after long and intense workouts, I would feel like I was starving and end up eating my exercise calories or more.

If you have any suggestions or advice from your experience, I would appreciate it.

Nice to meet you, yustick. :)

Your profile pic is awesome!! Congrats on your super loss! I don't blame you for bailing on those 650 cals/per day.

One of the best things I've found with keto is the hunger control. It just seems to come naturally. My target cals/day is around 1500 and most days it's hard for me to eat that much because I get full & satisfied quickly. Other days I'm hungrier so it's no problem to get that many calories especially if I eat avocados!

I found I sleep so much better too since starting keto and some health issues have cleared themselves up. I'll be sticking to keto for a while because it makes me feel so much better.
  • emmysusanne
    emmysusanne Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hey welcome :) I can't imagine any healthy person being able to survive on 650 calories on a daily basis, that is madness. I'm doing fairly well on Keto and around 1400 to 1500 calories. You should friend some Keto people and look through their diaries, see what they eat and how they get their calories - I for instance am never hungry!

Congrats on your weight loss so far as well - you are an inspiration!