Cardio Vs Weight training

Options
Hi Everyone!

I have been a member of MFP for a while and I’m just getting back into the workouts. I have a PT that I see twice a week and try to do at least 40 minutes of cardio on the off days.

My question is, at this weight (341) is weight training even worth it. Should I be doing straight cardio to get the weight off and once I lose some of the weight then add in strength training? Or should I keep doing what I'm doing, a combination?

Thanks for the advice!! :)

Replies

• incredibleshrinkingjackie
    Options
    i do mostly cardio. i walk on the treadmill, ride the exercise bike, swim laps and go to an aquacize class three times a week. so i know i'm getting in enough cardio.

i have been thinking about adding in weight training too, but i honestly don't know how. i think i'll have someone show me how to use the upper body/arm machines at the gym next week. what strength training do you do?

i think a good mix of both is what we should strive for . oh i do get down on the floor and do some pilates a couple of days a week. i don't know if that counts as strength training or not. i do know it strengthens your core.
  • lindseydavis07
    lindseydavis07 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The trainer has me working with free weights and machines. We also so some circuit training that includes some cardio. I like the weight training, if you go to a gym ask someone who works there to show you how they work! :)
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'm at 284 and I've done a combo of both cardio and weights since the beginning of time (well, since college and that seems a long time ago.) Weights build muscle which speeds up your metabolism and burns calories faster. So you need to build muscle as you're losing fat. So do both!

I need to do more weights. I also see my PT twice a week and spend the rest of the week doing cardio. I need to do a few more days of weights to build more muscle (and lose more fat!)
  • MaryZZZZ
    MaryZZZZ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm a HUGE fan (no pun intended) of weights along with cardio. Weights build muscle which burn calories consistently. I'm amazed at how much of a sweat I work up too. :smile:
  • lostgrl85
    lostgrl85 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You definitely want to make sure you're doing at least some weight training. If you only do cardio, you will lose muscle along with the fat. By adding in weight training, you can maintain and even build that muscle, which will only help you out. It will make the scale move slower, but check your measurements and you'll notice they're coming down nicely.

Most of the weight training I do involves using my own body weight and some dumbbells or kettle balls. I see a personal trainer once a week and she hardly ever has me using machines. It's more natural than doing the movements on the machines so it is supposed to be better for you.