Skinny legs, HELP please!

Options
So thanks to genetics, I naturally have a muscular/ lean upper body (back/shoulders). BUT I have some VERY skinny legs, and no hips. I REALLY would love if any of you have workouts I could do that really help with building up the calve muscles and thigh muscles.

I currently am squatting/ lifting and doing calf raises and step ups with weights, also lunges. I have crooked feet , so lunges are a bit awkward for me. Any other workouts that can help me out? I am trying to get a trainer, just waiting on some medical clearance forms.

I am not wanting to do a show until next summer or fall. 2014. Thank you everyone!

Replies

• Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn
    Options
    Sounds like you're on the right track! Just keep squatting/lunging/pressing/stepping up! Increase your weight as you go, build up. It will take time to build muscle. And EAT YOUR PROTEIN! :)
  • urbliss777
    Options
    How much protein should I be getting? I hear it is at least 1gram per 1lbs you weight. I am 109 so I need OVER109g of protein? I usually eat 70-100. I am trying hard to eat more. I used to like protein shakes but now I think they are too sweet and I get sick sometimes. I have quest protein bars I eat sometimes. And I am going to try to eat chicken or another form of protein every meal.
  • Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn
    Options
    To build muscle 1.5 grams per lb of your weight. The best way to get protein is through real food. Bars and shakes are good supplements, but food is the best source.
  • temple_n
    temple_n Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    egg whites can be stirred into or hidden in all kinds of things! I love them in my oats just so long as I flavor the oats well (stevia, vanilla extract [thank you Vicky!] and I use a sugar free liquid creamer called Italian Sweet Cream, SOOOOOO YUMMY!)
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Alrighty, the body is in its best position to build muscle when you eat an excess of quality calories. So you need to figure out what that number of calories is for you. Once you do that, here is what else you need to do:

Protein is: 1 gram per pound of body weight, then multiply that number by four. That is the number of protein calories
    Fat is: 30% of your daily calorie intake
    Carbohydrates are: however many calories you need after you subtract the fat and protein calories.

To build muscle in your legs, I would recommend workout your legs 2 per week, and do not do cardio within the 24 hour period following those workouts, It can take away from your gains.

The most preferable situation is you eating 100% clean (except maybe one cheat meal per week), and doing no cardio and just lifting nice and heavy. Between the heavy weight lifting and extra food, your body is in a perfect position to build muscle.

Keep in mind that most people gain 1lb of fat for every 1lb of muscle they gain. I did an 8 week bulking cycle in which I gained 5lbs of fat AND 5lbs of muscle. When people cut fat, you see more definition, but not serious size gains, most of the time.

I have made a ton of progress in the calf and thigh area because I targeted them during that 8 week cycle, so I hope this helps you.
  • urbliss777
    Options
    Thank you so much. I like to think I generally eat clean. I am trying to stop eating bread and wraps and stick to veggies and brown rice or oats for my carbs. But I really don't like rice anymore...

I also have a huge problem eating all of that food. I thought when I went back to weight lifting that I would get my appatite back, but it has just been hard to that much... And if I am eating clean... I don't really get many cals per meal unless it is a lot of meat.. that or I am doing something wrong.
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. I like to think I generally eat clean. I am trying to stop eating bread and wraps and stick to veggies and brown rice or oats for my carbs. But I really don't like rice anymore...

I also have a huge problem eating all of that food. I thought when I went back to weight lifting that I would get my appatite back, but it has just been hard to that much... And if I am eating clean... I don't really get many cals per meal unless it is a lot of meat.. that or I am doing something wrong.

You can try adding in more fats. Fats are calorically dense. Also, its something you have to work up to. Gradually make more food available, your body will adjust, and you will burn more of it. Healthy fats though!
  • pennywise451
    pennywise451 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have super small calves and I had a trainer that taught me to do calf presses (seated, standing or leg press ones) REALLY slowly and to hold the stretch on the way down and also at the top of the movement. Do a higher rep range. You don't even need a lot of weight to burn them out this way! You will feel the difference immediately.